11 replies to this topic

#1 Doc_V

Doc_V

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:19 PM

Hey guys, i am going to be going to florida in a few months by plane.  I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as to what type of bag is best to travel with to carry while with the family ( we will be at disneyworld).  Also being as how i cannot take my usual concealed items do you guys have any suggestions for that as well.  Thanks.

Who Dares Wins

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Enjoy your trip, I personally hate flying commercial with TSA taking all the fun out of airports. Be sure to check any luggage with knives or other forbidden items.

89BccLb.png

#3 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

My poor bag has cancer now after TSA got a hold of it. They ran it through the scanner no less than six times while they looked for a piece of "rifle brass" that I tried to tell them was my shaving razor handle. TSA is not so bad, but for Disney, I suggest a bag with the smallest number of pockets possible, they will go through them all at their checkpoint. I flew back in December with a large Multicam bag with patches all over it with most of my EDC, to include lockpicks, and had no trouble other than the shaving handle. As a friendly side note on your ziplock bag of liquids under three ounces, the mini bottles of alcohol count as liquid! :headbang: Just don't open them on the plane, they don't like that. :beat:

A word about Disney, back in 2010 we went to Disneyland. I had a Maxpedition Kodiak I believe. Inside I had the basic Disneyland stuff, a flashlight, some water and snacks, and a blow out kit. Hole-ey shit you would have thought I was going to bomb the place! Seriously though, I got the third degree about the first aid kit and flashlight in my pocket. They called a supervisor over who told me that they had medical on site and I didn't need to have my own kit and that it would not be allowed. I of course questioned them, and I was told the same. I pointed out that in our group we had a Paramedic/Firefighter, and three LE officers, two diabetics, and a lady who had surgery the week before and needed wound care. They then pulled the other two aside and we were frisked for any weapons. I was then told to take my pack back out to my car or not come in. So I did. When I came back the Disney Police were waiting. (The guys in the blue slacks, button up shirts, and "sun hats" with ear pieces in) Classic contact and cover as I was pulled aside and questioned about where my bag was. After I explained that it was in my vehicle, they asked where it was parked, and a description. By this point I was furious. I spent the rest of the day going out of my way to be annoying to the police in a typical childish fashion that I'm known for! :slap:

We did go back to Disney in December with that Multicam pack and besides it being searched both days, had no problem with what I had inside to include a full size blowout kit with shears. :moon:

• tiger-26 and Doc_V like this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#4 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:51 PM

I've heard bag cancer can be pretty bag... should have that looked at... I suggest a daily regimen of the TSA staying the hell out of our business.

• PsychoFish likes this

89BccLb.png

#5 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

My poor bag has cancer now after TSA got a hold of it. They ran it through the scanner no less than six times while they looked for a piece of "rifle brass" that I tried to tell them was my shaving razor handle. TSA is not so bad, but for Disney, I suggest a bag with the smallest number of pockets possible, they will go through them all at their checkpoint. I flew back in December with a large Multicam bag with patches all over it with most of my EDC, to include lockpicks, and had no trouble other than the shaving handle. As a friendly side note on your ziplock bag of liquids under three ounces, the mini bottles of alcohol count as liquid! :headbang: Just don't open them on the plane, they don't like that. :beat:

A word about Disney, back in 2010 we went to Disneyland. I had a Maxpedition Kodiak I believe. Inside I had the basic Disneyland stuff, a flashlight, some water and snacks, and a blow out kit. Hole-ey shit you would have thought I was going to bomb the place! Seriously though, I got the third degree about the first aid kit and flashlight in my pocket. They called a supervisor over who told me that they had medical on site and I didn't need to have my own kit and that it would not be allowed. I of course questioned them, and I was told the same. I pointed out that in our group we had a Paramedic/Firefighter, and three LE officers, two diabetics, and a lady who had surgery the week before and needed wound care. They then pulled the other two aside and we were frisked for any weapons. I was then told to take my pack back out to my car or not come in. So I did. When I came back the Disney Police were waiting. (The guys in the blue slacks, button up shirts, and "sun hats" with ear pieces in) Classic contact and cover as I was pulled aside and questioned about where my bag was. After I explained that it was in my vehicle, they asked where it was parked, and a description. By this point I was furious. I spent the rest of the day going out of my way to be annoying to the police in a typical childish fashion that I'm known for! :slap:

We did go back to Disney in December with that Multicam pack and besides it being searched both days, had no problem with what I had inside to include a full size blowout kit with shears. :moon:

Wow, that's pretty pathetic that you got hassled so much over some simple first aid stuff; I sure hope you didn't give them accurate information about your car and where it was parked, or at least gave a smartass reply like "well, it's got four wheels, seats and a steering wheel". My family went to Disney World a couple years ago and I was able to get in two days in a row with a Bucktool multitool on my belt, SAK in my pocket, and Solarforce L2 (with crenelated bezel) in my camera bag without any problems. As for TSA, I drive and will continue to do so, travelling by train as a second option if ever needed.

#6 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Wow, that's pretty pathetic that you got hassled so much over some simple first aid stuff; I sure hope you didn't give them accurate information about your car and where it was parked, or at least gave a smartass reply like "well, it's got four wheels, seats and a steering wheel". My family went to Disney World a couple years ago and I was able to get in two days in a row with a Bucktool multitool on my belt, SAK in my pocket, and Solarforce L2 (with crenelated bezel) in my camera bag without any problems. As for TSA, I drive and will continue to do so, travelling by train as a second option if ever needed.

I HATE the TSA. I'm a mechanic on aircraft and deal with them all the time. I couldn't count on both hands how many times they've threatened to revoke my airport badge. I won't fly just on the account of those jerk offs.

Edited by mangeface, 31 January 2014 - 04:01 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#7 tiger-26

tiger-26

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBFE

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

Talk about a self-licking icecream cone...it seems like certain elements of society keep beating the drum about prevention but don't put equal effort into deterrence.

Spartan-2, Vigilant-3A, Gimlet-2A, Hammer-5, Tiger-26

O.B.S. #548

"They call me, El Rubio."

#8 whiskey-kilo deuce

whiskey-kilo deuce

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

Not sure if you have traveled or not but here was my experience at Disney Orlando in December 2013. They will search ever bag you have, but never check your person. one actually missed a G19 while checking the bag, didn't make that mistake again. Actually very scary how no one is searched as there are a lot of different ethnic groups going in and out, but it is what it is.

#9 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Not sure if you have traveled or not but here was my experience at Disney Orlando in December 2013. They will search ever bag you have, but never check your person. one actually missed a G19 while checking the bag, didn't make that mistake again. Actually very scary how no one is searched as there are a lot of different ethnic groups going in and out, but it is what it is.

On a side note, both times I went to Six Flags in Cali, we were wanded from head to toe. I thought that was pretty strange, but whatever

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#10 whiskey-kilo deuce

whiskey-kilo deuce

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

Salty Dog, Yep, strange but I saw a lot of, different ethnic people, walk in with their type of attire on with never a look.  My question was what is that wasn't a baby under that robe and it was 50 lbs of C4? I may be paranoid but Disney seems mighty soft security wise. I know that they are trying to be PC ( like my first sentence, lol) but I decided there was no way my child would ever go without me. Not that I could stop it but just too unsecure for my liking.

#11 Joemetro

Joemetro

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

Idk your allowed anything on a plane even tiny swiss armies.

#12 lab_dad

lab_dad

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

When I travel (by plane) the first stop is a walmart at the least.

I pick up a cheap knife and the other usual EDC I can not get on the plane.

At the end of the trip i check the stuff and hope it comes home - if not it is no big deal.

FWIW I wear an insulin pump. That usually confuses the hell out of the TSA! (untrained morons) and always delayed me.

Lately i have been removing it to go through security and just install a new one once through.

Mj

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users