• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 hcm004

hcm004

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:15 PM

First of all, thanks to all the contributors to this thread. You've given me some great ideas, and caused me to re-think what I keep in my vehicle.  But first, a few questions.

What do you keep in the way of tools, aside from the standard tire changing kit? I noticed some tools and roadside emergency gear in Jersey0311 and PsychoFish's gear.  Namely jumper cables, flares, fluids, etc.  Do any of you keep tool kits, wrenches, etc. handy?  How do you store these items?  I personally keep (aside from a multitool) a socket wrench with the three common sockets for my vehicle (damned Brits and their Metric...) and a few other odds and ends.  I've been fortunate enough to not have any major problems on the road, but I'd be interested to hear what has worked for you guys.

Jersey0311, what do you keep in your 5.11 medical bag? You mentioned that there are no TCCC items inside, so I'd imagine you excluded a chest needle decompression kit, chest seal, TQ, etc. What other medical odds and ends do you keep handy?   Would you mind giving us a break-down?

• Jersey0311 likes this

#42 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:31 AM

First of all, thanks to all the contributors to this thread. You've given me some great ideas, and caused me to re-think what I keep in my vehicle.  But first, a few questions.

What do you keep in the way of tools, aside from the standard tire changing kit? I noticed some tools and roadside emergency gear in Jersey0311 and PsychoFish's gear.  Namely jumper cables, flares, fluids, etc.  Do any of you keep tool kits, wrenches, etc. handy?  How do you store these items?  I personally keep (aside from a multitool) a socket wrench with the three common sockets for my vehicle (damned Brits and their Metric...) and a few other odds and ends.  I've been fortunate enough to not have any major problems on the road, but I'd be interested to hear what has worked for you guys.

Jersey0311, what do you keep in your 5.11 medical bag? You mentioned that there are no TCCC items inside, so I'd imagine you excluded a chest needle decompression kit, chest seal, TQ, etc. What other medical odds and ends do you keep handy?   Would you mind giving us a break-down?

When I had my toolbox, I did have two tool kits in there. One was a cheap POS I got on a whim from Harbor Freight, and the other was a Craftsman set. Rarely used, but when I needed them, they were handy. They simply won't fit now that I'm using the underseat storage, but once I get a bedcap, they're going back in the vehicle.

The issue with underseat storage is that it forces you to really pick and choose what you carry, versus just throwing everything in a toolbox in the bed. I carry a lot less than I was only a few months ago.

There were times when I had 2, 3, even 4 or more medical bags in my truck. That isn't necessary. I don't stop at accidents (I'll call them in as I drive by), my truck doesn't advertise that I"m anything (no stickers/decals), and honestly the med bag is mostly for the range.

The reason I don't have any TCCC items in that particular med bag is because 99% of auto accidents I go to at work do not require any sort of TCCC items. 99% of injuries I see off duty don't require them either. Mind you, I have 2 identical IFAKs in the backseat (work bag and GHB) and a TQ on my visor, if I needed items for GSWs on the range, etc. So I have access to TCCC stuff, it's just not in my primary go to bag.

I'll post a breakdown later on, but the bag has NPAs, bandages of varying sizes, roller gauze (think Kling or Curlex), sterile water, occlusive dressings, a SAM splint, and a few other odds and ends. I changed bags from the PUSH to some cheap POS that's way smaller and still rides in the same position. Eventually I may make it more TCCC oriented, but 99% of the time you don't need QC or a pressure bandage to stop everyday bleeding.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#43 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

As promised, here's the break down of the bag itself

2 small bottles of sterile water

3 pairs of gloves

1 roll of 1" med tape

2 packets of surgical lube (for NPAs)

Band-Aids

NPAs of varying sizes

4 5x9 gauze pads

5 4x4 gauze pads

1 4x4 gauze sponge

1 SAM splint (another directly in the seat pocket of the passenger seat)

5 space blankets (don't know why so many, but fuck it)

Also I got rid of the PUSH and put everything in this bag instead

http://www.lapoliceg...oyment-bag.html

The PUSH is currently sitting empty, but I'll figure out a use for it eventually

Furthermore, under the seat I have an unopened box of gloves. I also have a CAT TQ in the visor, and an IFAK in the GHB and another IFAK in the work bag, plus an additional IFAK in my EDC bag if it's with me. At the moment I'm pressed for storage space so I don't carry any of my dedicated TCCC bags anymore, but once I get a bed cap that's going to change. As of this writing I've decided to add 2 CAT TQs to the outside of the bag, just in case.

I must point out that I do not stop at accidents. The medical items in the vehicle are for personal use only on my friends and loved ones if a situation were to occur and I was there or nearby.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#44 Peter.C

Peter.C

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Just want to point out from my own experience, you will likely use band-aids the most out of that bag. That being said, it is important to keep everything inside of it stocked and ready in case you run into that. I know a lot of people who have let their vehicles first aid kit deteriorate to the point the bandages are turning yellow. Do not let this happen.

#45 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

Do any of you keep tool kits, wrenches, etc. handy?  How do you store these items?  

I actually have a small set of tools. Nothing fancy, but I make sure I always have atleast a couple pairs of vise grips, a c-clamp, and a small set of sockets, and a couple screw drivers. Vehicles are pretty simple, and aside from carrying a shit ton of extra parts there is only so much you can actually do! Do I suggest grabbing some 7018 welding rods and trying to use the jumper cables to weld a part on? NO! Have I done it? Yes, with success, AND I've blown batteries to pieces too!

But lets be realistic here, something is going to snap that is going to stop the vehicle for good (IE control arm snaps off) or there will be something that stops the vehicle for a while (IE rear end goes out). For the first one, you are pretty much screwed and nothing you are carrying is going to help very much short of major tools probably being a welder, air hammer, grinder etc. The second one is simple if you have a four wheel drive vehicle! When I had my big lifted trucks my absolute best friends were mule tape, and the huge zipties. I kept a roll and a bag of those in that truck at all times! I limped a broken front end home many of times with just those holding the tire straight(er)!

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#46 Stubs

Stubs

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Guess Ill add my Kit in:

Heres my Visor, Just a cheap holder from walmart, Keep extra pens and notebook, credentials, pen light and seat belt cutter.
546E524C-2073-4529-B0DC-4021671DD10A_zps

On the passenger seat floor board usually sits my EDC bag the 5.11 PushR pack.  The Conterra Chest harness jumps from front to back seat.  

EC51727C-C39C-4B4C-AFB9-F47414B3B4AA_zps

Back storage area of my tahoe:
I built the storage deck so i can still store everything i need to carry with me but still be able to haul the dogs or grocery's around.
The box light stays mounted all the time and i usually keep the coat and a spare pair of boots back there also.  The Wood box with the handle in the right hand corner keeps my tools nice and tidy.

2CA36C48-C3BA-4922-AEB6-59412E323EBF_zps

All of the following fit underneath.  from left to right
Rope Rescue Gear Bag, 200' Rope, SKEDCO KED board, Conterra Jump Bag.

6743C8D6-1AE7-4804-AD73-ADAD7B7319FE_zps

• iExpresso likes this

#47 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

Back storage area of my tahoe:
I built the storage deck so i can still store everything i need to carry with me but still be able to haul the dogs or grocery's around.
The box light stays mounted all the time and i usually keep the coat and a spare pair of boots back there also.  The Wood box with the handle in the right hand corner keeps my tools nice and tidy.

2CA36C48-C3BA-4922-AEB6-59412E323EBF_zps

Stubs, sweet storage; looks like an effective and inexpensive alternative to a TruckVault if you don't need to really lock your gear up any more than the vehicle locks can. Do you just lift the front part of the platform up to access the stuff stored under it or do you pull it out through that middle slot?

#48 Stubs

Stubs

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:44 AM

Sorry had laptop issues recently,  

The middle area is more of a catch all and can be reached from the rear or though the back seat between the captains chairs.  The whole thing is roughly 4' deep so I can reach about anything under there.

The left side is my Jump bag, right behind the jump bag is my Tech Rescue Kit.     Ill see about digging into those with pictures in the future.  

Right now in the middle area is a Oregon Spine Splint, a Wool Blanket, EMT Coveralls so i dont get crap all of my civy clothes (Second out 911)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users