10 replies to this topic

#1 hcm004

hcm004

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

All,

I've noticed that mace and pepper spray aren't very common among the "Show Your EDC" threads.  My own experience with chemical irritants doesn't expand past the CS from the "gas chamber," so this is an area I'd consider a knowledge gap that I'd like to bridge. As a defensive weapon, how effective is mace?  Is it something you'd encourage friends and family to carry for personal defense where CCW isn't an option?  Is it worth carrying?

Edited by hcm004, 03 February 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Mace and pepper spray is something that has been discussed here before (in this thread-http://itstactical.c...s-lethal-carry/). My personal opinion is when it comes down to the meat and bones, if I'm in a situation where I would have to use mace or pepper spray, I most likely am authorized to use my firearm. Therefore, I'm going with the firearm.

Now, that doesn't exactly mean I'll have to use it. I would think a decent majority of criminals will white flag the second they see a pistol being drawn, especially when they know they're the intended target. But I'm not going to bet my life on that one.

I do have a can of OC Spray I keep at my place. It's intended use is for rowdy friends that words alone won't get them to calm down, especially when drinking is involved (and I have had to use it before).

Edited by mangeface, 03 February 2014 - 08:25 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

I think OC tends to be preached as this great problem solver, but the truth is that in practice it's more miss than hit on gaining compliance. It's actually made people more aggressive than they were because of the pain/irritation.
  • PsychoFish likes this

89BccLb.png

#4 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

All,

I've noticed that mace and pepper spray aren't very common among the "Show Your EDC" threads.  My own experience with chemical irritants doesn't expand past the CS from the "gas chamber," so this is an area I'd consider a knowledge gap that I'd like to bridge. As a defensive weapon, how effective is mace?  Is it something you'd encourage friends and family to carry for personal defense where CCW isn't an option?  Is it worth carrying?

Given your scenario of being in a situation that you simply cannot carry your gun then I will say OC is better than nothing. The problem is that when you discharge OC it is not uncommon for you yourself to be impacted by it. If you are in a confined area the OC can be trapped in the air space or if you are discharging it into even the slightest wind it can blow back on you.  If I were going to carry a traditional less lethal I would personally rather go with a taser. 

[...]

I do have a can of OC Spray I keep at my place. It's intended use is for rowdy friends that words alone won't get them to calm down, especially when drinking is involved (and I have had to use it before).

Mangeface, it sounds like you have some rowdy friends and that you through some epic parties!

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#5 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

I think OC tends to be preached as this great problem solver, but the truth is that in practice it's more miss than hit on gaining compliance. It's actually made people more aggressive than they were because of the pain/irritation.

I second this. I've been sprayed for training purposes three times, and in the line of duty atleast twice (direct spray) and misted/fogged more times that I every care to remember. Everytime two things happen, 1) I drop atleast one F-Bomb 2) I get really, really pissed! When ever I taught the certification class I looked like an extra from Arabian Nights, long sleeves, gloves, N95, towel wrapped around that, and glasses. I hate that stuff, and fought to keep it off my duty belt until I was flat out ordered to carry it.

Besides, its proven all the time that OC isn't very effective on those on drugs or drunk off their butt, and police/military demonstrate the ability to fight through it for a good while before it totally takes effect.

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#6 Millertime1103

Millertime1103

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 168 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Mace and pepper spray is something that has been discussed here before (in this thread-http://itstactical.c...s-lethal-carry/). My personal opinion is when it comes down to the meat and bones, if I'm in a situation where I would have to use mace or pepper spray, I most likely am authorized to use my firearm. Therefore, I'm going with the firearm.

Now, that doesn't exactly mean I'll have to use it. I would think a decent majority of criminals will white flag the second they see a pistol being drawn, especially when they know they're the intended target. But I'm not going to bet my life on that one.

Besides for the girlfriend, I've also used the OC spray a couple of times for the rowdy drunkards. Truth be told, one NYE, I was the drunkard and paid a buddy $100 to spray him with it. Not saying he didn't deserve it, but probably not my best judgement call.  :evil: :yes:  

• mangeface likes this
-- Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Posted Image

#7 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:55 AM

I can say it does suck to get sprayed by mace but in the end its pain compliance and if someone has any decent level of discipline or are in an altered stated it is likely going to be far less effective.  Was was mentioned by others I tend to stick with my pistol as my primary defensive tool.  When it comes down to I just run out of space to carry extra gadgets.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#8 SacRyan

SacRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Something to think about with a 'less lethal' option like mace and pepper sprays is when are you going to carry it?

As a former subject of the People's Republic of California who was lucky enough to have a CCW I ditch ALL my less lethal stuff when the CCW came in.  Gave it away to friends and family that didn't, couldn't, or wouldn't get their CCW.  

The reasoning: if you transition from no threat to lethal threat, will ANYONE ever ask "If he/she had that pepper spray on them; why didn't they use that first?"  Never mind the Monday morning quarterbacks aren't in the moment and didn't watch that 220 pound brute pull that huge knife and come for their throat.  They'll still ask and even if you skate on the criminal side, the family will now use that to own your house, your car, and ever cent you make for the rest of your life.  Top Ramen anyone?

Just a thought, if they need pepper spray, can you just leave?  If you can't leave, isn't that a lethal threat?

Qd3OG01.png

Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.

#9 jacobowitz

jacobowitz

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

And I thought that I hung out with a rough crowd! i've never had to pepper spray a friend. hahaha

#10 Canadian Bacon

Canadian Bacon

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

I have pepper spray in my pocket right now. I'm not allowed to carry a handgun, so its my one "weapon" of sorts. (I wouldn't use my knives) 

#11 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

And I thought that I hung out with a rough crowd! i've never had to pepper spray a friend. hahaha

Ah, they aren't too bad. The one time I did one of my friends freaked out for no reason, hit another one of our friends in the face then ran into the kitchen and grabbed a knife. While everyone was trying to entice him to drop it, I calmly walked to my room, grabbed the OC, walked back and shot him across the forehead with it. A few of my friends that are girls were horrified thinking I was going to get my pistol or shotgun. Hahaha, now they know what will happen when they get out of line.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users