5 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Long

Randy Long

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts
  • Locationcincy

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

anyone trap for food or fur? i was wondering about setting snare for game.

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

it's been many, many years, but growing up as a kid in AK my brother and I use to trap. 

In my experience it was always much more work than Bear Grylls and Les Stroud make it look! But if you have a good game trail that is actively used and get yourself some good cable snares it can be an effective method for getting some critters. 

Edited by Davis, 11 February 2014 - 02:11 PM.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 Willasan

Willasan

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

Just to piggy back on Salty Dog, it's WAY more work than it looks in movies.  Generally speaking, you must have set up 15 traps for every 1 animal.  You have to check the traps every 24-48 hours or so to reset them and look for game.  It usually takes about 24-48 hours for human scent to leave the area of the trap, so you have to mask your scent or put a different scent on the trap itself while doing this.  But, I know a couple guys at work that used to run a trap line every morning before school for years, so it can be done without too much trouble once set up.  If you find a good game trail and are able to check it often go for it.  Just remember some places have a special license or permit you have to acquire.  And be careful you aren't putting the snares/traps in an area where someone or a pet can accidentally set it off!

#4 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:30 AM

All depends on what kind of trapping you want to do and what your goal is.

Deadfall traps, snares, crush traps.... Lots of options for you. Most traps are illegal without a trapping license and some places don't let you do it period.

Rule of thumb set 30 traps if you expect to find any dinner.

Trap multiple trails and areas for different types of game this includes fish traps

While you are waiting for your traps go forage. When you do snare a small animal don't eat it use it on a bigger trap for a bigger animal. Just remember this method you may have to contend with a very angry wolf, cougar, bobcat, badger, etc.....all will rip the shit out of you if you don't have a. Method of killing it.

Look for dens for animals. Snakes are great food and super easy to catch especially when it is cold.

Look for birds nests.... Eggs full of protein
Posted Image

#5 Randy Long

Randy Long

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts
  • Locationcincy

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

ok thanks guys I knew it was at least 10 to 1 odds on the snares. Still haven't decided if it worth the weight to ad a set to me survival bag. I'll certainly be trying snares for fur-bearers in the fall with a license. 

#6 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

http://m.youtube.com...?v=aSk79YcuIRQ#
Works great around the house andwith a little improvisation can be adapted for use in the bush or wherever you may need to trap some last ditch food.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trapping, survival

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users