Photo

Looking to pick up a TAD Ranger Hoodie. Anyone have experience?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

Any input would be helpful

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

It, like all other things TAD, is made from pure awesome. The threading is salvaged hairs from the mummified remains of the fallen Spartans of Thermopylae, it is waterproofed by the boiled down fats of fallen enemies...

• Condition Write, Davis and Millertime1103 like this
Posted Image

#3 Condition Write

Condition Write

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationThe Hills of Kentuckistan

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

BLUF: Buy one.  This weekend.  TAD's running a sale (15% off, promo code TADLOVE14).

SteveSOS has adequately covered the technical perspective, though he fails to mention that any TAD apparel adds +1 to your Armor Class, +2 to your Fortitude Saving Throw, and +2 to any skill checks made to charm or seduce half-elves.

I have a Stealth LT hoodie and a Ranger jacket (same material as the hoodie but, y'know, no hood).  I am still trying to determine whether the Stealth LT was worth the price of admission, as I haven't yet taken it into the sort of weather that would really test TAD's claims about its technical fabrics.  However, there is absolutely no question in my mind that the Ranger was worth it.  Layered under the Stealth LT and over a base layer t-shirt, it's been comfortable down to about 25ºF for brief periods, or for about 45 minutes of shoveling snow in similar temps.  TAD's large size runs true to their sizing chart for me (I'm 6'1", 170-175 lbs., and all my measurements fall within the L line of their chart).  The Ranger is listed as "active" fit, which I'd say is accurate, but there is enough room at the waist/hips that printing is minimal when it's zipped over my usual CCW gear (Walther PPQ in 4 o'clock IWB, single mag carrier at 6 o'clock OWB, flashlight carrier at 7 o'clock OWB).  If your carry rig includes a spare tire, or if you like to layer your fleece over a bulky sweater or sweatshirt, you may want to size up.

Feature set: The poacher pocket is awesome for stuffing gloves into.  Chest pocket placement takes some getting used to but isn't objectionable, and they will accept a Walther PPS in a pocket holster.  I imagine a micro-Glock would fit there pretty well, too, if you were partial to such things.  I haven't yet found a use for the forearm pocket other than business cards.  The upper arm pockets will accept an iPhone in an OtterBox Defender.  There are stretchy pit vents, which I find preferable to pit zips, which I like, and the big pockets are mesh-lined so you can open them for extra ventilation (at the risk of losing anything in them).  Thumb holes in the cuffs are a nice touch, though the wrists are tight enough I haven't needed them yet.  The double zipper is a bit annoying but I've found that leaving it up a couple of inches at the bottom makes a draw from concealment much easier.

Colorway: Both my pieces are in what TAD calls "UE Gray" and what I refer to as "ambiguously gray."  Holding it alongside some of my other nylon gear under fluorescent lighting, I'd say it's midway between foliage green and the color of fresh cement.  It is not a neutral gray - there is definitely a green tint to it.  I seem to recall that some of the green does wash out in strong natural lighting, but I haven't actually seen the sun in a couple of months.

Edited by Condition Write, 15 February 2014 - 07:00 AM.

The pen is not mightier than the sword. If a man has a sword, he can make a man with a pen write anything he wants.

The answer, then, is to have a pen and a sword.

#4 Condition Write

Condition Write

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationThe Hills of Kentuckistan

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

Also, Steve?  Wrong application for rendered fats of fallen foes, man.  Yesterday was Valentine's Day.  Think candles.

The pen is not mightier than the sword. If a man has a sword, he can make a man with a pen write anything he wants.

The answer, then, is to have a pen and a sword.

#5 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Lol.
Those are intense reviews.

Looking like my color/ size/ and choice of patch are not available.
Seems I will be sparing some cash.

Thanks guys

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

Just go with Arc'Teryx. Its just as good probably equal across the board and everything in Arc'Teryx LEAF is awesome.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users