• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 brendenvalks

brendenvalks

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Alright everyone, I need your help. I need a new book to read, something military, military training, survival etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Posted Image

#2 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

Here's a link to the ITS recommended reading page. I suggest starting with "Gates of Fire" by  Steven Pressfield, but you can't go wrong with any of the books on that page.

• mikejulietpapa likes this

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#3 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:34 AM

Evening. What are your specific interests? I don't mean to insult you or anything like that, but those subjects are vastly broad in material. 

I'll entertain your post, though. Right now I'm reading Retribution: Battle for Japan 1944-45. I think the basic premise of the book is that Imperial Japan set themselves up for total annihilation when they decided to wage total war. Also, a forensic psychologist I know recommended The Gift of Fear, so I ordered that from Amazon for $0.01. Low and behold, ITS has an excellent review on it if you're interested:

http://www.itstactic...-from-violence/

• Scot McK and Patoli like this

#4 brendenvalks

brendenvalks

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

You are right Beaucoup VC, they are rather broad. I guess I should mention that I just finished reading Emergency This Book Could Save Your Life by Neil Strauss.

Thanks for the input so far.

Posted Image

#5 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Sas survival handbook
  • Patoli likes this

#6 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

I just finished rereading The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker. It's a good read about mindset and listening to well honed instincts.

• Patoli likes this

89BccLb.png

#7 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:58 AM

Get the Backwoods Home anthologies... lots and lots of articles.

Posted Image

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

I working on Civilian Warriors (The story about Blackwater) by Erik Prince.  The man behind Blackwater, it doesn't get more inside the organization than that.

Interesting read so far... a lot of "facts" and political background.

• iExpresso and DieselD like this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#9 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

I will partly out myself as an SME on historical works, military and otherwise. If you have questions or want follow-up work PM me.

#10 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

I've read more books than I can try to remember. And I'm only 25. :D

Right now I'm reading one on every MBT, IFV and APC ever made. Lots of awesome information in there.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#11 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

I just started reading On Killing again. 

• iExpresso likes this

#12 jimpickens

jimpickens

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWeston, WV

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Contact by Max Velocity, Improvised Munitions Handbook, Home Workshop Prototype Firearms by Bill Holmes. 

• Patoli likes this

#13 Giner

Giner

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago, USA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

Well, fiction-wise, I just finished Stephen Hunter's latest Swagger tale, SNIPER'S HONOR, the series had been flagging a bit, but between this one, and the last (THE THIRD BULLET), ol' Bob Lee is back in business.

If you haven't read any, the beginning is POINT OF IMPACT.  Well written, technically accurate, and as thrilling as promised.

#14 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

as far as training I'm currently reading Open Source Intelligence Techniques by Michael Bazzell. It's about how to find and harvest open source intelligence from the internet and social media. The great thing is it also focus on how to find info on "Public" (IE, not secured, or front facing networks) data that won't show up in your average Google search. So far it's very interesting and i've used a couple of the techniques already.

can be found here: http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=osint

La'

• Patoli likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#15 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

That's crazy. I've been checking out that author's website for a long time now, hoping his training session costs would decrease. I'm training to get into the analyst field as well, so I've been told by industry insiders to focus on OSINT collecting methods. 

Thank you, Redsol! I just picked up a copy for $42 shipped with my buddies Prime Account.

#16 davebcarr

davebcarr

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:30 AM

I just finished hunting the jackal by billy waugh it was pretty interesting. Currently working through the gift of fear

#17 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

On Combat and On Killing are staples. Sun Tzu's The Art of War is also a staple. If you're really serious, Clausewitz's On War is a hell of a read as well.

As far as fiction, Tom Clancy (RIP) wrote Red Storm Rising. Easily my favorite novel of his.

I've got a pretty good library of related works, it's a good mind workout.

• Armitage12 likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#18 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Man, I had to read two books on ethnic violence in one night during college. I still can't read von Clausewitz's work without drinking two bottles of Gatorade and asking myself what the flying fuck just happened. 

• tiger-26 likes this

#19 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Man, I had to read two books on ethnic violence in one night during college. I still can't read von Clausewitz's work without drinking two bottles of Gatorade and asking myself what the flying fuck just happened.

Defense is the stronger form of war, my friend, and the people outraged is a dangerous thing. Clausewitz is deeply subversive, because he had to express what he was advocating without explicitly suggesting that the monarchy was unnecessary for the defense of the country. Just an armed citizenry and an army-in-being that was carful in seeking battle.

#20 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

Defense is the stronger form of war, my friend, and the people outraged is a dangerous thing. Clausewitz is deeply subversive, because he had to express what he was advocating without explicitly suggesting that the monarchy was unnecessary for the defense of the country. Just an armed citizenry and an army-in-being that was carful in seeking battle.

The literal translations of a Prussian military strategist from the 1800s embodies the difficulty, not the vast theories Clausewitz exemplified. 

• Patoli likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Books, reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users