55 replies to this topic

#21 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

The literal translations of a Prussian military strategist from the 1800s embodies the difficulty, not the vast theories Clausewitz exemplified. 

Personally I don't like the Paret translation, but use the 1940s one from a German who was in the U.S.  

http://www.amazon.co... tzu clausewitz

I would be happy to run a book group on it if some folks are interested.  I've read it carefully and teach it.

Edited by Armitage12, 13 June 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#22 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

Machiavelli's Art of War is on the short list for me. Gotta pick it up sometime.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#23 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:46 AM

Personally I don't like the Paret translation, but use the 1940s one from a German who was in the U.S.  

http://www.amazon.co... tzu clausewitz

I would be happy to run a book group on it if some folks are interested.  I've read it carefully and teach it.

The Paret one is the one I have. Any reasons why you don't like it? I haven't read any other versions, so have no frame of reference to compare it to.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#24 stoddy9311

stoddy9311

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:19 AM

Just re-read "Pamwe Chete" by Lt Col Ron Reid-daly, had this book for 20 plus years and dusted it off (if you can find this book cheap you wont be disappointed ), and "Achtung Panzer" by General Heinz Guderain, probably the best manual for any aspiring Tank Commander/ Tactician. 

Non-military books i like are "Bushcraft" by Mors Kochanski and "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart.

don't sleep much nowadays so read a lot.

#25 TRYG

TRYG

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

I working on Civilian Warriors (The story about Blackwater) by Erik Prince.  The man behind Blackwater, it doesn't get more inside the organization than that.

Interesting read so far... a lot of "facts" and political background.

Civillian Warriors was a great read. For some fiction fun with real training/prep elements check out some of these...

http://www.amazon.co...es/e/B001K8HTVE

• iExpresso and LongHaul like this

#26 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Civillian Warriors was a great read. For some fiction fun with real training/prep elements check out some of these...

http://www.amazon.co...es/e/B001K8HTVE

I read J.W.R's book "Patriots" back when it was still called "Triple Aught." It was pretty good. I might have to pick up a few of his other books.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#27 jimpickens

jimpickens

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWeston, WV

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

Wolf Creek Origin if you like the movies you'll like this book and the follow up Desolation Games because not only are they are prequels to the movies but give you an insight into circumstances that helped mold Mick Taylor into the monster that he became.

#28 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

Unfortunately I have very little time to actually read anything anymore so I've been doing the audiobook thing while I do other things on my days off. Oh the joys of being on third shift...I was very shocked by the first blood novel. The movies were so Damn cheesy but the original novel was pretty Damn good. I have been listening to Tom Brown's The Tracker. Damn good book by a genuine bush legand. For those that may not know Tommy Lee jones's character in the movie The Hunted was based on Tom Brown. If you are interested in survival, bushcraft, tracking, or the outdoors his books are both entertaining and informative

#29 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

Currently i'm working on the Sea of Fertility Tetralogy by Yukio Mishima. I finished Spring Snow and now i'm working on Runaway Horses. I've read Mishima's Sound of Waves before this. His writing is truly beautiful.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#30 tiger-26

tiger-26

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBFE

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I've been working on Machiavelli's The Prince, digesting it slowly. After that it's time to re-read Attacks by Rommel. Also on my list is Machiavelli's Art of War.

For leadership, Platoon Leader and Feast of Bones are very good. Feast of Bones also delves a little into tactics, more from the perspective of adapting what you're doing to adequately address the problem.

Shadow Warriors was also a fun read - dealing with the MAC-V SOG teams in Vietnam.

Edited by tiger-26, 20 August 2014 - 03:41 PM.

Spartan-2, Vigilant-3A, Gimlet-2A, Hammer-5, Tiger-26

O.B.S. #548

"They call me, El Rubio."

#31 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

I am a lazy reader, i go to audible.com and listen

Ive just listened to two audiobooks this month, "Inside Delta Force" by CSM EricHaney and "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen. Both are excellent but i really liked "Inside Delta Force"

I am about to start "Protecting the Gift" by Gavin De Becker then "Civilian Warriors" by Erik Prince

Next month will be "Seal of Honor" by Gary Williams and maybe "Black List" Book 11 from Brad Thor's collection.

Edited by iExpresso, 20 August 2014 - 04:02 PM.

• shadowx79 likes this

Posted Image

"Any questions, comments, gripes, bitches, or complaints? Well, I will address them in order of the amount of fucks given. Thanks and I don't give a shit how the rest of your day is." 1SG Kirkland

#32 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

I just started reading On Killing again.

In a few months i am going to listen to this... Ive never read the entire book so im excited.

Posted Image

"Any questions, comments, gripes, bitches, or complaints? Well, I will address them in order of the amount of fucks given. Thanks and I don't give a shit how the rest of your day is." 1SG Kirkland

#33 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

Been reading the book Guerrilla Warfare by Che Guevara. The man may have been a Communist piece of shit, but he's a guerrilla warfare genius.

Next in line will be On Guerrilla Warfare by Mao Zedong.

Edited by mangeface, 20 August 2014 - 05:59 PM.

• CalicoJack and tiger-26 like this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#34 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

I've been reading through some of the Warhammer 40000 books by Graham McNeil, James Bond series by Ian Fleming, and the two weapon use books by Kyle Lamb.

89BccLb.png

#35 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

I've been reading through some of the Warhammer 40000 books by Graham McNeil, James Bond series by Ian Fleming, and the two weapon use books by Kyle Lamb.

have you read the Inquisitor Series by Ian Watson? That was the first 40k book ever. it came out probably 20 years ago.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#36 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

The Ultramarines novels by Graham McNeil were my first books in the 40k world. I came in as a tabletop player who enjoyed the universe and the fluff. I have read some of the various Deathwatch fluff (I mean look at my name after all). I do love the ones by Steve Parker. 

89BccLb.png

#37 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

I am a lazy reader, i go to audible.com and listen

Ive just listened to two audiobooks this month, "Inside Delta Force" by CSM EricHaney and "No Easy Day" by Mark Owen. Both are excellent but i really liked "Inside Delta Force"

I am about to start "Protecting the Gift" by Gavin De Becker then "Civilian Warriors" by Erik Prince

Next month will be "Seal of Honor" by Gary Williams and maybe "Black List" Book 11 from Brad Thor's collection.

Do you have to pay some kind of premium to listen? I've always wanted to listen to audiobooks when I'm driving.

In a few months i am going to listen to this... Ive never read the entire book so im excited.

It's an incredible experience. You're going to seriously love it.

#38 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, there's a monthly fee to get credits with which you get books. But if you are into audiobooks, audible is awesome.

89BccLb.png

#39 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

Damn. I don't think I spend enough time driving to pay monthly. Maybe I'll sell folding knife for spending money haha.

#40 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Damn. I don't think I spend enough time driving to pay monthly. Maybe I'll sell folding knife for spending money haha.

There are three tiers of service. the lowest one is a buy credits on an as needed basis, rather than a subscription. you might want to look at that.

La'

• iExpresso likes this
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Books, reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users