17 replies to this topic

#1 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Ok, I have another knife question. I'm looking for another edc blade and something to augment my hiking/bushcraft kit.

For your fyi, I carry a Leatherman Skeletool daily. When I hike and camp I'll have the Skeletool, a Kabar BK10, and a Cold Steel Pipe Hawk.

Again I'm just looking for a small blade and am having a hard time deciding between the following.

CRKT Minimalist Bowie
CRKT SPEW
Kabar BK 11 or 14

#2 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

For a smaller bushcraft blade that will only be used for light tasks such as carving and the like I really don't think a puukko can be beat. Scandinavian zero grind blades are easy to sharpen and never have to be re-profiled. For wood cutting the geometry of a scandi is great. As good as convex or even better. In the right hands a mora classic or a marttiini lumberjack are amazing tools and are affordable to anyone. I really like Kellam and woodsknife puukkos personally.

#3 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

When I go on a camping trip I have my victorinox spirit x multi tool, my gb wildlife hatchet, either my woodsknife puukko or bark river aurora, and a folder in my pocket ( just depends on which folder I want to take that trip).I always have a backup in the pack generally a mora or marttiini but I sometimes will take a r.Murphy sportsman. Murphys are great inexpensive American knives. Very basic but usable at a price around 20 bucks. The sheaths they come with suck I make my own.

#4 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

Never stop buying knives. 

I am a shameless knife whore. 

Cheap to embarresingly expensive.....but I swear I have a knife or tool for any occasion.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#5 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Hello, my name is Beaucoup VC and I am a recovering knife buying addict. 

CRKT are gateway purchases. You will soon find yourself spending more cash on a single folding knife than an actual striker-fired handgun. Your loved ones will soon begin to whine incessantly about the websites you keep browsing with high-res shots of edged instruments. With that being said, I would grab that Kabar BK14 with orange scales and loop some 550 cord through the lanyard hole. That is a beautiful tool.

• Klarktx likes this

#6 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:27 PM

One I can't believe I didn't mention that I really love is the Enzo trapper. Full tang perfect size nice balance and comes in a variety of steel ( s30 v, 01 and d2 tool steel, and I think Aus 8) they have scandi or flat grind versions. You can get the finished knife for around 100 or the kit at like 70 ish. Highly recommend this one.

#7 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

I've been thru the Busse, Chris Reeves, Microtech, Direware, Medford, Begg, Les George, Coye, Pohan, and many more stage.

I'm ill. That is all

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#8 mfrench

mfrench

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Ill? How about broke too? Jk. Like everyone has said, its a sickness. I started with CRKT knives too. 

#9 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

Everyone tells me I need to try CRKT knives, but I do so love my Benchmades. Guess I'll have to break down and try one some day.

89BccLb.png

#10 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:35 AM

I've never really liked Crkt knives much. Although i have a Crkt tuition that I got free from a site a few years ago that I did a re grind on. Now it's a great knock around knife. I think my reason for not liking Crkt much is by the time they got popular I had already experienced brands like Benchmade and spyderco. I started loving knives at a very young age. My dad passed this illness on to me I guess lol. I remember saving my lunch money for months to buy a spyderco dyad and a broker top lock lol oh to be a kid again.

#11 mfrench

mfrench

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 26 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

I wouldn't bother with CRKT if your into Benchmades; I don't think any of their line is US made and they're sub par compared to BM. Great entry level blades though. 

#12 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

None are us made although I do remember in the late 90s Crkt had the Apache line that were made with ats 34 blades. Ats34 is the Japanese equivalent of American 154cm. While I'd love it if all knives were us made and I go out of my way to support us made goods in general country of origin isn't the end all be all in terms of quality in knives. All of the Chinese made spyderco knives I've seen to this point have been on part or even to a higher qstandard
the us and Japanese made knives. If the quality control is there it's there. I should mention however the steel is imported from the US or Japan.

#13 mfrench

mfrench

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Ya that is true, Spydercos Asian made knives are phenomenal. I was referring to the overall quality of CRKT, not impressed with my M21 in the long term. Now I'm spoiled with higher end knives though. I personally feel their knives are kind of "gimicky" too, but thats just me.

#14 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

I guess I'll just stick to what I know and keep buying Benchmades.

89BccLb.png

#15 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

Ya that is true, Spydercos Asian made knives are phenomenal. I was referring to the overall quality of CRKT, not impressed with my M21 in the long term. Now I'm spoiled with higher end knives though. I personally feel their knives are kind of "gimicky" too, but thats just me.

no its not just you lol I find most Crkt knives to be gimmicky as well. Any company that thinks of Aus 4 or 6 as a viable blade steel, or calls acuto or aus8 or cr813mov their " premium " line of steel is suspect to say the least in my mind.

#16 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

I guess I'll just stick to what I know and keep buying Benchmades.

Which Benchmade models do you own? I'm looking to purchase a BM soon to carry in my EDC bag

#17 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Which Benchmade models do you own? I'm looking to purchase a BM soon to carry in my EDC bag

I have a pair of Griptilians (a 551SBK and a 551SBKOD) as his and hers EDC blades. There's a nimravus floating around here as well somewhere. On my belt/LBE depending on situation, I have a rescue hook (7BLKW).

89BccLb.png

#18 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

Outstanding. I'm actually eyeballing the Griptilian 550BKHGSN. I owned a 710BK before, but I lost it hiking (practically scaling) some piece of shit local mountain. That was one of the most beautiful knives I've ever owned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users