#1 hunter_75

hunter_75

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:34 PM

Ladies and Gents,

We talk a lot on here about what we would do in a Grid Down situation, invasion, large scale natural disaster, etc.  All are great things to talk about and prep for.  I always tell my wife that "this probably wont happen, but if it does, I don't want to be caught with my pants down". 

With this in mind, my wife and I came home from running errands to get livestock feed for our chickens and the new rabbitry that we are developing.  When we got home, we rounded the corner to the unfortunate scene of black smoke filling  our windows and seeping out around our door.  It turns out that the older de-humidifier we had running in our house caught fire and toasted our kitchen and bathroom.  The entire house was then filled with a thick, black plastic residue from the soot and was permeated with the smell of burnt plastic and wood.  Not ideal.  Our bulk food storage was pretty much shot due to the particulates going through the bags, etc. with few exceptions.  (I now know the importance of having more of the food in sealable packaging). All of our clothes reeked of smoke and plastic, all of our cookware was covered in soot, all of our toiletries were toasted, and the house was not able to be lived in for a few days while it aired out.  

Even though it could have been much worse, we were pretty emotionally devastated from it.  Bringing it back to the PREPPING topic is that, even though the majority of our stuff in the house could not be used.  We had our EDC items on our person and could theoretically create a shelter/fire if needed.  Also, it was comforting to know that we had great sleeping bags, food, water, ammo, etc stashed in the car as part of our longer term survival gear.  Granted, we didn't need to use any of this up largely due to the helpful response of our family members and friends (support network).  One thing that surprised me was how happy I was to still be able to go out to our chicken coop and get fresh eggs every evening for a nutritious meal.  I had seen the value of having small livestock for longer term survival or self sufficiency situations, but didn't realize how helpful and comforting it was to have them even on a few week ordeal.  

This is getting a bit long, but I wanted to bring the conversation back to what is more likely to happen: individual SHTF moments and the benefits of prepping for big picture stuff but also having plans in place for personal SHTF situations.  

Cheers!

• Jersey0311, Peter.C and DieselD like this

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

Man, that's a shitty situation. Hope everything works out and insurance takes care of it.

On the ppositive aspect, thanks for sharing. It helps give more insight as to what to look out for and prepare for.
  • VaKota likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 VaKota

VaKota

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

So Sorry to hear that!  That is my biggest fear and largest hurdle to prep for.  Because you almost have to have a secondary storage site which stays cool and is accessible.

You bring up another great point as well about still being able to get fresh eggs not only for the food but also for having at least one routine that still 'feels' normal.  Thanks for sharing your story.  I'm glad you had stores in your vehicles and great neighbors. I hope you get back on your feet soon.

#4 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

That sucks man :-\ I don't know if I can do anything to help but I'm in the area...

#5 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for sharing your story; the negative effect of smoke from even the smallest room and content fires can be devastating. It was always hard to see people get all excited to see that there house did not burn to the ground but then quickly realize that despite that pretty much everything in the home was smoke damaged. 

It sounds like you have a real good positive attitude though and you make a great point about prepping for not just the big popular grid down type scenarios but just even for the smallest of personal crappy scenarios that can disrupt the comfort of daily life for just yourself. 

Thanks again for sharing.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#6 hunter_75

hunter_75

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the offer AaronK but I think we got it handled thanks to some timely connections.  I have a family member who just happens to be great friends with an owner of a Servpro company that is going to donate their time to cleaning out the house.  We pay for cost of materials but they are donating all the equipment and time of the operators.  

It was a good reminder for us that even though we have a decent pile of ammo and MRE's, there are many other things that can have an equally devastating effect on us than the big-time prepping scenarios.  Specifically, my wife had a lot of medicinal herbs that she foraged and processed that need to be replaced.  However, those were wild foraged from around here and most will not be ready to harvest until summer/fall time.  Those are things that are vitally important buy cannot be replaced by an insurance company.  Something for all of us to think about I guess.    

To be clear, I am not saying to disregard those scenarios as there is a lot of crazy stuff happening in the world, as I type, and it would be foolish to think that it cannot happen here.

Things are lookin up though Gents, this gives me a pretty damn good excuse to finally get my daily carry pack I've been wanting because my old backpack that I used is pretty scorched... ;-)   

• Davis likes this

#7 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

hunter_75,

Thanks for the reminder about the importance of prepparing for the individual SHTF events. How is the recovery going?

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#8 hunter_75

hunter_75

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

Thanks LongHaul.  We are hoping to be back in the house by the end of May.  Since I am stubborn and cheap, we are trying to do all the repairs ourselves so it is taking a bit longer than having a contractor do it.  Luckily, we have some great friends that are letting us stay at their place until the repairs are complete.  

• LongHaul likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: survival, SHTF, TEOTWAWKI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users