16 replies to this topic

#1 backwoodsbrooks1

backwoodsbrooks1

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLander, WY

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:51 PM

I am currently attending Wyoming Catholic College and I just recently bought a Mil-Spec backpack and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for anything useful to add to the bag.  Right now I am carrying my books, computer, a MOLLE water bottle carrier, and a Nols med kit.  I also carry an extensive EDC with multi tools, flashlight, and some fire making articles for fun.  Any suggestions for a more bombproof system?

Edited by backwoodsbrooks1, 19 March 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Get a better pack. Not being an ass, but get a better pack. Pack failure is no joke.

What's the purpose of the bag? EDC? GHB? BOB?

Is the medkit for you or someone else?

My EDC bag is a 5.11 Rush 12 w/ water bottle carriers on the outside. It's my instructor bag that carries my laptop and other admin BS for teaching classes. It has an IFAK and the last remaining small pocket only has a flashlight and a lighter in it for shit's and giggles. I have a GHB in my truck supplemented by my truck EDC, and in my locker at my full time job I have a mini GHB if I can't get to my vehicle. I've found that if I carried the sort of stuff that you see on the EDCForums website, I'd be humping an insane amount of shit everywhere for no reason. My shit is set up in layers to facilitate me getting to bigger resupply points.

YMMW. If you're out in BFE, you will have different needs obviously. Do an honest assessment of your situation and your environment, and see what you really need. Me giving you a list doesn't help because there is no set list, and what works for me might not work for you.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

My opinion? Fuck the rules and carry a damn pistol. I'd rather lose my license to carry and have everyone go apeshit that I carried a pistol on a campus then be stuck in the middle of a school shooting with harsh language to fire back.

• Davis and Beaucoup VC like this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

Actually, in some states, carry on college campuses is completely legal. Consult your local rule first, or be willing to deal with the consequences if you get caught. 

89BccLb.png

#5 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

In NJ the only way to get around that is being LE. Once I'm OTJ, there will be freedom for fucking days everywhere I go.

TBL-2.png

#6 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

I forgot where it was, but there was some state who issues the permits at a state level that said state run or funded colleges cannot forbid CCW but private colleges can make their own rules just like any other privately owned business. 

89BccLb.png

#7 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

My opinion? Fuck the rules and carry a damn pistol. I'd rather lose my license to carry and have everyone go apeshit that I carried a pistol on a campus then be stuck in the middle of a school shooting with harsh language to fire back.

My sentiments exactly during college. 

#8 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

My sentiments exactly during college.

Well, the positive is I never have and never will go to college, so that's one bridge avoided. But I do work on aircraft, so while I can bring my pistol with me to work I have to keep it in my truck. And I've pointed out numerous security issues to management that are finally being addressed nearly a year later.

But backwoods, like Jersey said. We can give you advice and tell you what to and what not to carry, but in the end you're the one with the best vantage of the situation you're in on a daily basis. Best way to figure out what you need to carry is through trial and hopefully not too much error.

Edited by mangeface, 19 March 2014 - 08:38 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#9 backwoodsbrooks1

backwoodsbrooks1

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLander, WY

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

I am looking into a pistol because it is ok to carry at WCC.  They are just figuring out if it is ok to conceal carry, but open carry is optional.  As to the backpack it is very well made and it was to closest thing to what I wanted for a reasonable price.  I only found a few backpacks that would have sufficed but were to expensive for me.  I would have loved to get a Blackhawk three day jumppack or a Kelty MAP 3500 but they are both over $250 and I had less than $60 to spend so the Mil-Tech just barely hit the price mark.  If it fails I will let everyone know, but from the reviews it is a very good backpack for the price and the only one star hit was because it took two months to ship, so....

Thanks for the ideas guys, its nice to be able to get this kind of feedback!

#10 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

I am looking into a pistol because it is ok to carry at WCC.  They are just figuring out if it is ok to conceal carry, but open carry is optional.  As to the backpack it is very well made and it was to closest thing to what I wanted for a reasonable price.  I only found a few backpacks that would have sufficed but were to expensive for me.  I would have loved to get a Blackhawk three day jumppack or a Kelty MAP 3500 but they are both over $250 and I had less than $60 to spend so the Mil-Tech just barely hit the price mark.  If it fails I will let everyone know, but from the reviews it is a very good backpack for the price and the only one star hit was because it took two months to ship, so....

Thanks for the ideas guys, its nice to be able to get this kind of feedback!

Alright so now we know that carry is authorized, my advice is as follows.

The foundation of every single one of my bags, rigs, etc, is the same. Bullets and bandages. Stuff to make holes and stuff to plug holes, at an extreme bare minimum.

There's also the acronym SMOLES.

Self Defense - bullets

Medical Aid - bandages

Observation/Optics - binos, etc

Land Nav - compass/GPS

Extreme Weather Conditions - rain gear/snivel gear

Survival - firestarters, water purifiers, etc

As a suggestion, and suggestion only, here's some food for thought. Mind you, I came up with this list out of the blue, right now, as I sit here, without regard to local conditions that only you know about

• Pistol of some sort (Glock?)
  • Weapon light on the gun
  • Extra mags (Glock happy sticks as well as standard capacity)
  • Handheld light
  • IFAK
  • GPS/compass
  • Maps of the area
  • Water
  • CLIF Bars (or some other food source)
  • Eyepro (Oakleys)
  • 550 cord (100 ft)
  • VS-17 (cut down or the MPIL from the ITS store)
  • Warming layers
  • Beanie
  • Gloves
  • Bic lighters
  • Extra batteries
  • Chargers for electronics
  • Whatever stuff you need for school
  • Pole-less litter
  • Some legit climbing carabiners to clip to the outside
  • Good knife
  • Binos/monocular
  • Water purification method

If I were on a campus that allowed carry, I'm in a good position to respond to an active shooter situation. That being said, I threw in a pole-less litter and D rings to facilitate possible rescue of victims as well.

Edited by Jersey0311, 20 March 2014 - 04:45 PM.

• Davis likes this

TBL-2.png

#11 backwoodsbrooks1

backwoodsbrooks1

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLander, WY

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.  I can definitely add some of these items to my carry.  I had never thought of the stretcher, but it may be a very good idea.  The EMS service is very thin in Lander and they may be as far as Riverton in an emergency, even without bullets being fired.  We also have the advantage of having an EMT in my class and multiple WOFRS that could help stabilize the victim once he was out of the elements. As to the gun, I am personally looking into an XD just because I like their feel in hand.  The XDs do lack the ability for paring with higher capacity mags but I figure with the sub-compact model if I had 7 rds in the gun (not a gun control freak but 7 rounds in 9 rd mag = longer mag life under stress) 20 rds in two more mags OB then had anywhere from 20 to 30 rds in my backpack I should be able to fend of bad guys alright with what I have on me or have enough to fight to my bag if it is not on me.  It may take me some time to accumulate much of these items because of the money situation but otherwise I like your ideas.

Thanks again!

#12 Condition Write

Condition Write

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationThe Hills of Kentuckistan

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

The XDs do lack the ability for paring with higher capacity mags but I figure with the sub-compact model if I had 7 rds in the gun (not a gun control freak but 7 rounds in 9 rd mag = longer mag life under stress)

Load to max capacity.  It's not the amount of compression that causes springs to wear out, it's the number of compression (loading/unloading) cycles they undergo.

I have yet to see an account of someone exiting a gunfight and saying, "gee, I wish I'd carried less ammo."

The pen is not mightier than the sword. If a man has a sword, he can make a man with a pen write anything he wants.

The answer, then, is to have a pen and a sword.

#13 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

I always max mine, even assuming they do wear out... mags are cheap compared to your life... People will say "just be accurate" and I do agree that accuracy matters, but I would rather have a lot more chances to be accurate... this is real life and you never know when a misfeed or other malfunction will occur and mag changes are part of the drill to fix it fast. Sorry... Off my soap box.

89BccLb.png

#14 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

I forgot where it was, but there was some state who issues the permits at a state level that said state run or funded colleges cannot forbid CCW but private colleges can make their own rules just like any other privately owned business.

Thats how it is in ca. No law forbidding ccw on campus, but if caught amd you refuse to disarm you can be charged with trespassing in addition to whatever punitive codes the school has if youre a student.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#15 backwoodsbrooks1

backwoodsbrooks1

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLander, WY

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

I forget who said it but several people had said that for long term storage it is beneficial to store one or two fewer rounds than max capacity in your mags and from a engineering standpoint it makes sense.  But the other main point is if the mag is itself designed to compensate for spring fatigue. I would have to look at an XD mag up close.  This is I guess personal preference but I do have evidence of how loading two less rounds improved the performance of the mag.  A friend of mine who was in Vietnam in the cavalry said that if you loaded the 20 rd M-16 mags full it would not feed properly (this is probably because of design) but if you loaded them with 18 rds they worked just fine.  So I guess I'm trying to say that I will have to see what happens when I actually get the gun and run some tests and after that I can finally make an educated system analysis.

#16 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

Oy. Load the bloody thing to capacity. I've had my XD mags loaded to the hilt for 8+ years and have never had any issues.
  • Davis, Jersey0311 and DeathwatchDoc like this

While I breathe I shall defend.

#17 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:24 AM

Springs wear from constant compression/decompression associated with constantly loading and unloading them. They don't wear at all when compressed.

What good is an empty magazine? The only reason you should have an empty mag outside of training is because you don't have the ammo to fill them.

• LongHaul and Davis like this

TBL-2.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users