10 replies to this topic

#1 PaveLow87

PaveLow87

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:04 PM

Hey guys, so I drive an '02 Nissan Pathfinder. I'm looking for any suggestions on carrying my sidearm while driving. Mostly for road trips. Currently I have a KelTec PF-9 and a Sig P250 Compact. I've looked into the gun vault with the cable lock for under the seat. Looking for any other suggestions for something that's easily accessible but more secure than just sitting in my center console. Open to a DIY project. I have some ideas but would love your guys' input. Thanks!

Posted Image

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

You could look at something like this as an option. http://www.gumcreekc...s.com/cart.html

It's a decent solution for off body carry while you are actively driving. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

I've been wanting something like that. I think I may end up mounting my G-Code holster in my truck when I get a Safariland.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

I just did a Google Images search for "vehicle holster" and saw all sorts of creative ways people have come up with for mounting their handguns. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#5 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I've been wanting something like that. I think I may end up mounting my G-Code holster in my truck when I get a Safariland.

Since you already have a safariland, have you looked at their quick release option for their holsters? I can take a duty holster right off my belt and slap it on a drop leg in about five seconds. They sell adapters to be mounted in a vehicle, or along a bed etc.

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#6 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Since you already have a safariland, have you looked at their quick release option for their holsters? I can take a duty holster right off my belt and slap it on a drop leg in about five seconds. They sell adapters to be mounted in a vehicle, or along a bed etc.

I don't have the Safariland yet. I would like to get one in the next couple of months. Problem is I have so much stuff I want to get for my SHTF set up I'm going to have to seriously prioritize, and not sure how high the holster will rate there. I have a Fobus paddle holster I could use instead if I'm unable to get the Safariland.

I've used the QD systems for holsters before with a Serpa. It wasn't bad, but I didn't like the added depth to the holster and I just felt like it was pointless in most situations. I had it where I could transfer my holster from a leg rig to my plate carrier in a vehicle. But it made no sense, as if I were a passenger, I would have my rifle in the ready position to engage. If I were the driver, I would be more worried about driving out of the situation, or GTFO out the vehicle. The only thing it did was get the pistol off my leg to keep it from potentially jamming up between the seat and console, which never happened when I trained, and make it more comfortable while driving/riding since it wasn't pushing into the seat.

Edited by mangeface, 23 March 2014 - 08:21 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#7 PaveLow87

PaveLow87

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:43 AM

I like the Gum Creek mount. Looks like the best option for a quick access. I just wish i had a locking center console or glove box for safer storage if I am out of the vehicle. Seems it might be a weekend project. Thanks for the input guys!

Posted Image

#8 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

That option from gum creek looks pretty slick. I've been thinking about this topic as well for application in my wife's 2010 Tahoe. She does not have a CHL yet but can legally carry in the vehicle. The Tahoe does have the under center console compartment and I've been thinking about fabricating a lanyard fixed to the compartment wall with a raven concealment vanguard attached to the other end but I also need to find a way to keep the weapon secure and not sliding around in that compartment... I'm also not sure how fast she would be able to deploy if she had to ...

#9 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

I have seen where the G Code RTI mount was installed on a boat to make a holster mount so I think it could work in this situation as well.

Posted Image

#10 PaveLow87

PaveLow87

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

I wish they made something like this for my Pathfinder. An installable premade console safe. Not ideal for quick access but nice to keep your sidearm secure or anything else you dont want laying around.

http://www.consoleva...or-console.html

Posted Image

#11 davebass

davebass

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 45 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

E-SAFE5403-2T.jpg?1421332981

http://shop.factory-...QuWtRoCw3jw_wcB

CrewLeaderSignature.png