22 replies to this topic

#1 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

I think that I "finally" came to the stark realization that I need (and want) a new pack.  I've been using this ratty surplus store knockoff for edc and hiking for roughly 4-5 years.  It is loaded pretty good and there are some things that I'd like in there that are still at home.

f82eacaf-7c0c-42dc-beba-d97eda1d64a7_zps

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:14 AM

If you aren't looking to break the bank, get a 5.11 RUSH 24 or 72.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

+1 on RUSH 24 or 72 - I don't own either of them but I do own the Rush MOAB 10 the All Hazards Nitro and the COVRT 18 .... overall very happy with the packs from 5.11. A 24 is on my radar but I haven't come up with a need yet to justify the want

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

5.11 or Maxpedition are my suggestions.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 victorgolf

victorgolf

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

5.11 or Maxpedition are my suggestions.

2nd this from everything that I have seen and heard, just yesterday ordered from maxpedition myself.

Untitled.png

#6 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

2nd this from everything that I have seen and heard, just yesterday ordered from maxpedition myself.

Which pack did you get? I have a Vulture 2 in OD and a Condor 2 in tan.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#7 victorgolf

victorgolf

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:08 PM

Just grabbed an OD pygmy falcon II, just to replace my smaller edc pack, and a fatty organizer to replace my small hook and loop which wasn't cutting it aymore. can't wait for it to arrive!!!

Untitled.png

#8 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

If you are looking to break the bank, I highly recommend the Arc'teryx Khard 30, it's flippin' sweet. I meant to write up a review this weekend, but that didn't pan out, maybe I'll find time later this week or weekend.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#9 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Here are my thoughts, in no specific order.  I know that I need something bigger than what I have, however I don't need the kitchen sink.  I do laugh to myself at some of the reviews I see on different places of the interwebs regarding EDC bags, I feel certain that I could "bug out" for an OK amount of time with some folks EDC setup and bag.  That being said, I'll not knock them too much because everyone has their own preference and needs.  I like my packs being low profile and try to pack somewhat light.  

So here goes.

Milspec Monkey Adapt 1,178 cu in 500d $100 http://milspecmonkey...adapt-pack.html

5.11 Rush 12 1,330 cu in 1050d $90 http://www.511tactic...2-backpack.html

5.11 Covrt 18 1,800+ cu in 500d $130 http://www.511tactic...8-backpack.html

Grey Ghost Gear (Almost identical to Adapt) $110 http://www.greyghost...-assault-pack-1

Kelty Redtail 27 1,650 cu in 420d $80 http://www.kelty.com...egory=backpacks

Am I missing any glaring ones, I'd say my budget is sub $120.

• spaz926 likes this

#10 victorgolf

victorgolf

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

Here are my thoughts, in no specific order.  I know that I need something bigger than what I have, however I don't need the kitchen sink.  I do laugh to myself at some of the reviews I see on different places of the interwebs regarding EDC bags, I feel certain that I could "bug out" for an OK amount of time with some folks EDC setup and bag.  That being said, I'll not knock them too much because everyone has their own preference and needs.  I like my packs being low profile and try to pack somewhat light.  

So here goes.

Milspec Monkey Adapt 1,178 cu in 500d $100 http://milspecmonkey...adapt-pack.html

5.11 Rush 12 1,330 cu in 1050d $90 http://www.511tactic...2-backpack.html

5.11 Covrt 18 1,800+ cu in 500d $130 http://www.511tactic...8-backpack.html

Grey Ghost Gear (Almost identical to Adapt) $110 http://www.greyghost...-assault-pack-1

Kelty Redtail 27 1,650 cu in 420d $80 http://www.kelty.com...egory=backpacks

Am I missing any glaring ones, I'd say my budget is sub $120.

The grey ghost and Covrt 18 look nice and uncomplicated, especially if your looking for something low profile.

Untitled.png

#11 davebcarr

davebcarr

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

ive been using a goruck GR1, they're kind of pricey but its an awesome bag. Its one of the most sturdy bags ive had. Before this i was using a 5.11 rush 12, its a good bag for everyday use but if i tried to load it up pieces of it started breaking off.

• spaz926 likes this

#12 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

Here are my thoughts on bags. As someone who has the material and equipment to make my own backpacks I still find it hard to find to even try to make the "perfect" bag. Friends and I have tried in the past, and they always seem to fall short somewhere. The last one we designed and made would have cost more than $500 to make. And it still was missing some items that we thought we would like. 

For the past year I've been carrying a condor (boo-hiss) 3 day assault pack. With the exception of one section of missed stiching on a back padding area the bag has been flawless. What first caught me attention was the use of the thicker 1000D cordura. I went through the entire bag looking at the stitches and they were all well made. For the price, I would not hesitate to buy another one should this one ever fail. I've loaded it up with ammo and gear and used it as a range bag carrying a crap load of weight.

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#13 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Anyone have any experience with the First Spear Comm pack?

http://www.first-spe...&cat=300&page=1

#14 Shine

Shine

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

What I wish ITS would do is reconfigure the now 'extinct' ITS Discreet Messenger Bag into backpack form.  Take the Goruck shoulder pad design and add it into the mix.  It could be an amazing combination for an EDC backpack!

With that 'wish' said, I want to throw in my two cents on Goruck bags.  I own a GR1, SK26, Radio Ruck, and now a GR0.  For perspective I'm 6'0' and weigh 240--I'm solid, not fat.

I've traveled the world with the GR1 and only have only two big complaints: 1) I wish there was a simple way to attach a bottle of water to the thing--maybe a side pocket that flattens when not used, 2) it sticks out too far when you put it under the airplane seat in front of you!  I've actually sat in exit seats and had the flight attendant insist that I put it all the way under the seat.  It doesn't fit straight without hanging out a bit.  That's what you get with the 20" length of the GR1.  

Here's the funny thing, I like the GR0 much more than the GR1.  I have a long torso, but it hangs down my back where I want it, just not to the top of my pants like the GR1.  The dimensions of the GR0 make it just about an inch longer than my Tumi Alpha Bravo pack.  That pack was too short. 

Anyway, what I want to say is that Goruck says for 6' and above, get a GR1 and for UNDER 6' get a GR0.  At 6'0" I find the GR0 less obvious and easy to travel with.  Just my perspective--that and $3 gets you a questionable cup of Starbucks! :)

#15 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

For those of you interested, SO Tech has their Mission Pack Micro (Khaki) on sale for $54.00. 

http://specopstech.c...roducts_id=2010

Edited by Beaucoup VC, 27 March 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#16 Appattack

Appattack

Mate

• Life Member
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

To the OP;

Go with the Rush12 over the Covert..... Spend the difference in cost on some additions (ITS bottle holder/Trauma tall boy to attach on either side, and then a MilSpecMonkey stealth admin pouch on the front)............... That's what I have and It's able to handle almost any adventure/mission I've thrown at it!

Muster 2, GR Challenges 840/1036, Navigator 006

#17 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Fight and Flight LLAMA Pack is awesome, super low profile.

TAD Litespeed

TAD Fast EDC

Arc'Teryx Khard 30

Hazard 4 Plan B

Hazard 4 Switchback

I have all these packs except the Khard on hand and I still like the llama the best. The tad fast is pretty bad ass too.

Posted Image

#18 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

Spence put up a nice review of the Arc'Teryx Khard 30 which kind of sold me on the product, but its price tag isn't for the faint of heart.

I've played with both the 5.11 24 and 72 packs and they are decent but not sure if they are much better than what you have now.

I use Maxpedition myself and my only complaint is a mistake I made on my own... not sizing it for my tasks, but other than that the construction is great and prices are reasonable.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#19 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

I'd really like to get something from TAD, but I just can't bring myself to spend $200+.  I think I'm just going to end up with a Rush 12.

#20 Raze

Raze

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:20 AM

I have been using a black 5.11 Rush 24 as my all-in-one-grab-and-go adventure bag. I loaded the pack with kits that can serve my hiking needs and even for my fishing trips. I strapped a Buck Hoodlum on the PALS webbing at the side, and seems like it belong there.

However, I found that this bag was a bit too cumbersome for me to EDC in urban areas, even if I remove the Hoodlum and my morale patches. It drew too many unwanted attention and curious eyes. Especially now that I commute daily to work.

Hence, I pulled the trigger on a Maxpedition Zafar in khaki.I attached the Maxpedition Monkey Admin pouch to the front and it covers most of the PALS webbing enough to make it look like an 'ordinary' book bag. I removed the waist strap (only need it for hiking) and it works like a charm to achieve the 'gray man' look, being more incognito this way, even with the khaki color. YMMV though

I love the ergos of this pack. If you have longer torso than you might wanna look at the slightly larger Xantha.

*EDIT: Typos..

Edited by Raze, 01 April 2014 - 02:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users