Photo

Waterproofing an EDC bag and/or its contents?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GigantorTX

GigantorTX

Landlubber

• Validating
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDFW, Texas

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Does anybody use a waterproofing treatment on their EDC bag? I'm fairly new to the EDC experience and I was already planning on packing most of my survival and medical gear in Ziploc bags or something similar to prevent water damage, but I don't have a plan yet for large articles like clothing or shoes. I guess my other option would be a rain cover for the bag.

Any ideas or options I'm missing? Experiences or knowledge on what works best?

#2 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

I dont waterproof my EDC 1000 denier nylon fabric man satchel purse. Though, the lid is lined entirely with a clear map pocket. This keeps heavy rain from soaking into the main compartment. Discloser: I am never in the rain with my bag more than a few minutes;) My ipad is in a lifeproof case. each pocket has a very small silicone perforated capsule to absorb any leftover moisture. Ziplocks are fine but dont rely on them for submersion. I cant remember the name brand but Tactical Distributors and REI sell beefier clear bags that would hold up better.

Edited by jgnolen, 29 March 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#3 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Using plastic bags is probably going to be bang for the buck. Regular ziplock bags will be great for smaller items, but Ziplock also makes larger heavy duty sizes at 3, 5, and 10 gallons if I remember correctly. Those things rock! You can't beat them when you compare cost and weight with other bags. I've been using the same ones for probably 6-7 years now (I should probably replace them). I think it's the 10 gallon size that I use for deployments to completely line my sea bag, I will also throw several of the 3 gallon bags in my main pack and day pack for clothing, boots, etc. In the last few years the Marine Corps started issuing really nice SeaLine dry bags, but I still use the ziplocks. Like JGNolen said, they probably won't hold up to full submersion for too long, but they can totally handle a brief swim and certainly a heavy rain storm.

I've also been mulling over waterproofing my bag, but there are a few things throwing me for a loop. First and foremost is the fact that I live in a desert and the DWR treatment would wear off by the time it rains again. Aside from the lack of rainfall, the desert thing presents another problem, most DWR treatments are pretty worthless when they're dirty, and the dust here will clog the coating up in a day or two. I was kind of hoping I could find a treatment that would help repel water and dust, but I may have better luck finding the fountain of youth.

• victorgolf likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#4 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:44 PM

seal skin bags or ziplocs about the best way to do it.

Posted Image

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 30 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

Most of the gear in my GHB is waterproof on its own.  I have a cheap dry sack from walmart that holds a change of clothes, spare socks, that sorta thing.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#6 GigantorTX

GigantorTX

Landlubber

• Validating
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDFW, Texas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

I figured that Ziplocs or something similar would be the way to go. I'm not terribly worried about full submersion for too long, but I do keep a few notebooks in there along with the usual knives, multitool, flashlight, etc. and I imagine soaking wet rolls of duck/gorilla tape are not fun to deal with either. I'll probably look for something a little more intensive to make sure the first aid gear stays dry no matter what, but otherwise, the Ziplocs should hold up just fine for long enough to get out of a downpour and get the rain cover lashed on.

#7 AlphaG40

AlphaG40

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

Yes I would agree that seal skin or zip lock bags are the best way to water proof anything in you EDC bag. Its what I use and have used for 9yrs. With no problems.

#8 GigantorTX

GigantorTX

Landlubber

• Validating
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDFW, Texas

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Took a few minutes the other day and got everything vulnerable into a Ziploc. Also helped with sorting out my first aid kit. I threw the rest of the bags in a side pocket so I now have about 10 extra gallon bags and quart bags each. I figured they would work in a pinch for water or food storage or general purpose storage. Funny how the smallest details can make you feel that much more prepared.

#9 Joemetro

Joemetro

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

Freezer bags. All my stuff is in freezer bags and then compartmentalized by use, first aid, shelter, food. Also can be used for transporting items and water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users