49 replies to this topic

#1 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

So... my Luminox went TU and will cost 185 bucks to fix. Thinking about replacing with a Suunto Core. Who out there has a Suunto and can give some honest feedback on it? I read some reviews out on Amazon and got a mixture of feelings so I thought I would post here and see what my fellow ITS brethren had to say ..

Thanks Gents.

#2 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

I have been meaning to get a core for a long long time. Its an awesome watch but I already have an Ambit and Ambit 2 (ambit is for sale in gear trade) so I just havent had a reason to change to a core. I think i am going to on payday as the ambit 2 is thick and cumbersome for daily wear.

Several buddies have the core watch and love it.

I would buy it in an instant if I could have a metal band

Posted Image

#3 mfrench

mfrench

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

Id be interested to hear as well, been looking at one too.

#4 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

I have never owned a watch that costs what Suunto watches cost... but if I was going to take that plunge, it would probably be with a Core.

89BccLb.png

#5 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

My wife bought me a core for my birthday this year (january) and I've worn it since then.  I like it a lot but haven't had the chance to use all the bells and whistles yet.  The one and only thing that got me when I first started wearing it is that the black background makes the numbers/text slightly hard to see unless you are holding it just right or really focusing on it...but I got over that by just using the back light more often than I normally would.  I've grown to really like the all black look of it.

Posted Image

#6 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

My wife bought me a core for my birthday this year (january) and I've worn it since then.  I like it a lot but haven't had the chance to use all the bells and whistles yet.  The one and only thing that got me when I first started wearing it is that the black background makes the numbers/text slightly hard to see unless you are holding it just right or really focusing on it...but I got over that by just using the back light more often than I normally would.  I've grown to really like the all black look of it.

If you having trouble seeing the time and such, did you adjust the contrast?  It was probably the first thing that I did with mine.

Edited by emBARK, 31 March 2014 - 08:13 AM.

#7 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

ive had a all black core for several years, since tactical distributors carried it. the display began to get buggy after I dropped onto the kitchen floor.  I sent it to suunto and it was replaced for free because it was still under warranty. 

im happy with its functions. the barometer is accurate though has to be set once and a while. the compass works fine though id never truly navigate with it.  the battery needs replacement once and a while depending on use.  one of the best features is the button lock. I don't know how many times my old vector would switch modes unknowingly killing the battery. 

id highly recommend the core but its not the latest and greatest.  if I was to purchase a new watch today, id go for the fully loaded suunto ambit.

if youre military or police, suunto has deals through www.promotive.com if you want to get a discount on the latest gear.

Edited by jgnolen, 31 March 2014 - 09:15 AM.

• pm40-45 likes this

Posted Image

"Any questions, comments, gripes, bitches, or complaints? Well, I will address them in order of the amount of fucks given. Thanks and I don't give a shit how the rest of your day is." 1SG Kirkland

#8 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

If you having trouble seeing the time and such, did you adjust the contrast?  It was probably the first thing that I did with mine.

Ya, contrast adjustment didn't really help much for me (that's the first thing I did too).  It's not a huge problem, it's just that I have to look at it at almost a 90 degree angle to really see the time very well...unless I hit the back light.

Edited by Superman, 31 March 2014 - 09:32 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Ya, contrast adjustment didn't really help much for me (that's the first thing I did too).  It's not a huge problem, it's just that I have to look at it at almost a 90 degree angle to really see the time very well...unless I hit the back light.

Just out of curiosity, when you are having trouble seeing the screen on the watch are you wearing polarized lens sunglasses? 

The reason I ask is polarized lenses have a certain angle that when looking at some screen devices (watches included) it will make the screen appear blacked out or at least obscured. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#10 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Just out of curiosity, when you are having trouble seeing the screen on the watch are you wearing polarized lens sunglasses? 

The reason I ask is polarized lenses have a certain angle that when looking at some screen devices (watches included) it will make the screen appear blacked out or at least obscured. 

Nope, just naked eyes O_O

Posted Image

#11 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Nope, just naked eyes O_O

Well it was a good theory at least. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#12 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

I have an ambit for sale in the gear trade,....

Posted Image

#13 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

I had a relatively high end sunnto in titanium I don't remember the model as it was 8~ years ago but I loved it until someone got sticky fingers and it was removed from my boot while I was dressed out in a fire fighting ensemble for a fire drill on the boat.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#14 TRYG

TRYG

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

I have a Core Alu Deep Black and it is passable for the time being. Some things I have noted thus far good, bad and indifferent ...

* Post adjustment the display is still hard to see at times.

* Wish there was a steel band option.

* The storm warning alarm is always going off. (in and out of climate control buildings/vehicles)

* Battery lasted about 7 months though the replacement indicator was nice instead of it just shutting down without warning.

* Button lockout feature is handy.

* Compass is good as a secondary tool.

Hope this helps.

#15 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

I've always been intrigued by Suunto, but I just dont want to drop the coin on an expensive watch without fingerfucking one first. I wish more of my friends bought high end gear. I cant always be the guinea pig.

#16 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

I've always been intrigued by Suunto, but I just dont want to drop the coin on an expensive watch without fingerfucking one first. I wish more of my friends bought high end gear. I cant always be the guinea pig.

#17 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 12 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

I pulled the trigger last weekend and got my Suunto Core yesterday. 230 and free shipping... found on amazon. I decided that if I didnt like it I could always send back... I would have gone with the ambit but it was a tad out of my price point. so far i'm very happy...  now i get to figure out how it all the functions work! 

• PsychoFish likes this

#18 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

I pulled the trigger last weekend and got my Suunto Core yesterday. 230 and free shipping... found on amazon. I decided that if I didnt like it I could always send back... I would have gone with the ambit but it was a tad out of my price point. so far i'm very happy...  now i get to figure out how it all the functions work! 

Sweet! I love my Core and wear it probably 95% of the time! As far as functions, I have found I have to update the Alt and Baro probably once a week because I am always changing from sea level to high mountains to below sea level each month. Besides that I love the dang thing!

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#19 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

All this Suunto Core talk and mine just died this morning (dead battery I'm assuming).  That didn't last long as I've only had it since mid-January :(  I'm guessing (hoping) mine was sitting on a shelf for a while before I got it.

Edited by Superman, 16 April 2014 - 09:31 PM.

• PsychoFish likes this
Posted Image

#20 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

All this Suunto Core talk and mine just died this morning (dead battery I'm assuming).  That didn't last long as I've only had it since mid-January :(  I'm guessing (hoping) mine was sitting on a shelf for a while before I got it.

Probably. My first battery died within a couple months of having it also. But mine was the only black on black that was in the display and who knows how long it had been on. The automatic swap between alt and baro will drain the battery faster I've read, I leave mine on baro only. Other wise, it was always beeping at me.

• bigfoot likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users