49 replies to this topic

#21 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

I love my ambit when i remember to recharge it. Ive been wearing it a lot lately as my battery died in my holeshot.... I did however forget to wear it one day out in the field and still had my yachtmaster on.... that was a bad day.

Posted Image

#22 Lawdog734

Lawdog734

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

My core is a good watch but to be honest I liked my Casio pathfinder more. The battery in my core last for about a year.

#23 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

So far I'm finding the most useful feature (so far) is the "countdown" feature! Its improved my grilling alot!
  • GreenViking likes this

#24 GreenViking

GreenViking

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

I have a Suunto Core Dusk Gray. Its one of the cheapest of the Core watches. I was a bit worried about the plastic house, but i has held up nicely. A pro for the plastic house is that it gets light weight. The altimeter is much more accurate than the one on my old Suunto Vector. The compass seems much more usable too. I like that the watch automatically adjust between altimeter and barometer, depending on how much you move. I think the pice is reasonable, at least for the Dusk Gray. 

Here is a picture of the Dusk Gray version:

http://www.equipnors...4000_500X-1.jpg

L

#25 bigfoot

bigfoot

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPacific NW

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

Another Core user here -- just got one as a gift, the all-black version. At first I thought the negative display would be hard to read, but it's really grown on me. Seems to make the watch look smaller, too.

#26 pm40-45

pm40-45

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

all black core owner got it for Christmas and have not worn any other watch since (wife says I have too many)

#27 Marinemarc82

Marinemarc82

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

Probably. My first battery died within a couple months of having it also. But mine was the only black on black that was in the display and who knows how long it had been on. The automatic swap between alt and baro will drain the battery faster I've read, I leave mine on baro only. Other wise, it was always beeping at me.

The Suunto Core is a terrific watch, I highly recommend it as an overall tactical watch that also looks great too.  When it comes to battery replacement investing in a good brand is paramount. I highly recommend energizer or Sony batteries for this unit.  

#28 BobJob

BobJob

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts
  • LocationClovis, CA

Posted 17 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

just purchased the all black core from dvor.com on a fire sale for $180.00, ill post back when I receive it!!

#29 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:56 PM

I have been wearing the Military Core for about 5 years, and do not see a reason to get anything else.  

Posted Image

#30 B+Shooter

B+Shooter

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 58 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

I got a blacked out Suunto Vector at a local shop during a Black Friday sale for $75.  I really like the watch, and I have found myself using the compass more than I thought I would.  I'm learning to get comfortable using the altimeter and actually using the barometer to see pressure changes and how it affects the weather (maybe to start predicting a storm approaching?).  An AFSOC unit here got Suunto's and later replaced them with GShocks after having a few watches flood during dive training.  It's good gear, it just has limitations they couldn't work with.

I had a Luminox that I was rough on, and it developed a small chip in the crystal.  I dove with it later and it stopped working, so get skeptical some gear in/under water.  My Suunto is great outdoors, but I won't take mine deeper than pool depth.

If you don't need/won't use the extra bells and whistles, a GShock is fine.

#31 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:01 PM

Well on all the great stuff said about these watches I just pulled the trigger on one from amazon.

Should be here in a couple days.

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#32 Rulrofelves

Rulrofelves

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMid-California

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

I have had my core since August 2012.  I have beat the crap out of it and the glass still looks great.  I dont use it to its full extent, so the battery life is pretty good.  It really helps that the battery is easily changed.  The only issue I had is with the second band.  I don't know if I didn't tighten the screws enough or they came undone on their own, but I cannot wear it untill I replace the band or the screws.  Great watch, I will buy another if this one ever completely dies on me.

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do
anything with nothing." Unknown

#33 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:48 AM

Mine arrived yesterday and after having to break out the instructions to get it all set up I really like it.

Dang thing has just about all the info you could ever want/need right there on your wrist

• Geist likes this

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#34 jim-hen

jim-hen

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:29 PM

Hey guys, i know this is an old thread, but better late than never, i have had a core for years and even had it replaced for free once. Great watches imo. In regards to bettery life, i have used lithium and ni-mh, its speced for lithium, but i used ni-mh for three or four batteries and experienced terrible battery life, a month or two, it drove me insane. Switched to lithium, around six monthes per battery now. Its still a high-draw watch, especially if you use the back light as a sneaky flashlight(dont wanna wake the pretty half), as often as i do.

#35 JFergus7

JFergus7

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 211 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

Was just looking at watches this morning and found a few that I am interested in but going to have to check these out first before making a decision.

#36 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:13 AM

JFergus7, I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone that has one that doesn't like it.

I misplaced my Core Military for about 5 days and I had already had one in my shopping cart ready to buy when my daughter found it in her backpack.... I was giving it 7 days.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#37 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Was just looking at watches this morning and found a few that I am interested in but going to have to check these out first before making a decision.

Just do it.

#38 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

Yep! Easily one of my favorite watches! It totally replaced my G-shock that I loved so much! Best part is that if you buy it and care for it, you'll know if you like it or not in the first month or so, and flipping it is super easy!

As for battery life, if you don't use the battery or compass a lot you will easily get over a year out of them. *knock on wood* I just started my second year on my current battery! But I have a replacement on standby because I know in going to get that little icon pretty soon!
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#39 Firerescue183

Firerescue183

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City, OK

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:02 PM

I had a relatively high end sunnto in titanium I don't remember the model as it was 8~ years ago but I loved it until someone got sticky fingers and it was removed from my boot while I was dressed out in a fire fighting ensemble for a fire drill on the boat.

Was this the Xlander?  I have one as well.  

#40 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 226 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:01 PM

I just purchased the Core Ultimate in black.
I'm stocked. I'm a serious watch whore but have never had a Suunto.

I'll do a write up after a few weeks use.

Attached Files

Edited by Klarktx, 05 October 2015 - 07:02 PM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users