Photo

Is There A Reason, Not to Use a B.A.D. Lever?

Magpul

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:32 AM

When I fist saw the Battery Assist Device, I though it was ingenious. Then, I got to run a a few rifles with one.....   and wow.  Speeds things up quite a bit.   

I did notice a little more crowding in the trigger guard, mostly when i tried with gloves, but didnt seem to be a problem...It seems to be  a no brainier.. I suppose its a case of but almost to good to be true.  And since Im pretty my 100% Irish, I tend to be pessimistic about good things..

Are there any negative issues?

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:09 AM

Some people don't like the wobble. I've found that the Phase 5 Tactical EBR feels much more solid and will be using that in the future versus the BAD Lever.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

You know I'm a fan. I run the Magpul BAD just because it is cost effective and easy to find. As for any reason not to run one, here are the conns I can come up with:

1. If you are working in an actual cold weather environment and wearing heavy winter gloves (think Alaska) than you may have issues with over crowding in the trigger guard. 

2. If you are really use to running with a BAD and that is what your muscle memory is built on, but you are running a team where everybody else does not have one and you find a situation where you have to pick up somebody else's gun during a fight you may have some "fumbling" while you are running that weapon. 

As Jersey pointed out, Magpul does not have the corner on the market. Here are some other options. 

Tactical Link: Battery Assist Lever

Phase 5: Extended Bolt Release ... This one is unique to the others in that it is a full solid piece bolt release system vs. an after thought, so as Jersey pointed out it will inherently be more stable... but you pay for that. 

Troy Industries: Ambidextrous Bolt Release 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#4 Condor1185

Condor1185

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 1 posts
  • LocationManitowoc, Wisconsin

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

I a huge fan of keeping weapons fairly close to the stock configuration, because like stated above I want my team and myself to all be fairly familiar with each others weapons. Last thing I want is to be fumbling with someone else rifle that I thought I knew how to operate.

The lever is a nice addition though, you won't be let down.

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

YES!!! I HAVE YOUR NEGATIVE!

I ran a Magpul B.A.D. lever without question for about 2 years... but I was stationary at a range playing with paper targets.  Yes it worked flawlessly.

When I started to get more dynamic with my actions, reloading on the run where errors could mean the difference between life and death I was finding that in almost every case that I had a bolt lock to the rear after emptying a mag that friggen BAD lever would slam my bolt forward before I had the new mag in resulting in a need to pull the charging handling adding extra movements to an already complicated and stressful situation.... every time.

Where it was happening consistently was while I went to bolt lock and I would pivot the rifle into the crook of my arm to begin to seat the new magazine.  My finger would constantly hit the lever slamming the bolt forward before the new mag was seated forcing me to pull the charging handle again.

Seems simple enough.. add running, rolling and stress and you quickly find your wondering why the hell your rifle isn't firing like it should and that a round was never seated in the chamber.

So with that said, I am 50/50 on the BAD lever.  Mine sits comfortably in my parts bin because I felt that in a time of need it was more of a hindrance to me than a convenience while at the range.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#6 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

^ That. What D said. I've just spent some many years using ARs, M4s and M16s without all the fancy gizmos I'm not sure if I would ever be able to adapt.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#7 wwilkins

wwilkins

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

Be aware of the stress it places on the lower receiver, hard use can cause the forged lower to crack on the bolt catch pin area.  Stress cracks or possible shearing of the aluminum part holding the bolt catch, destroying the lower and rendering the rifle inoperable.  Armorer, but not a pro, so... something to consider.   Specifically with the BAD lever, not sure with the other products. FYI 

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#8 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

I have one of the Phase 5 EBR-V2s on my AR-10 Precision gun.  I think it definitely makes sense on a precision gun.  I had a magpul BAD on my AR-15 when I had it but didn't run that gun as hard as I should have these days I use an IWI Tavor for my carbine and its bolt release is in a far easier to use location as far as releasing it.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#9 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

I've got the Troy Ambi Bolt release on both my personal and department issued AR's.  I love them.  I shoot long guns left-handed, so I've got to add some additional hardware to run them fast.  Both of mine have Troy Ambi Mag & Bolt Releases.  I have a Rainier Arms Raptor ambi charging handle on them as well.  

NoTMZyB.png

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

We aren't allowed to use them on duty rifles, so I see no point in creating a new manual of arms on my personal rifle when it won't benefit me at work.

• FreeStyle1138 and tiger-26 like this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#11 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, mine magically appeared on my duty rifle one day.. Not sure how that happened?!  I was able to sell it on the fact that I shoot lefty and it was "essential equipment."  Same goes for the charging handle and the mag release.  Even got a reimbursement from the department for all of it.  We're pretty fortunate here; our agency is only 10 Officers deep so the white shirts are just a door or two down the hall.  Thankfully, since I'm an operator on our regional ERU team I've got a little bit of pull when it comes to hardware.  They are pretty good about getting us what we need.   

• Jersey0311 and DirtyTrigger like this

NoTMZyB.png

#12 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

I use the Phase 5 EBRv2 because there are now screws to come loose like the BAD lever and others

#13 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Wow, OK.  Thank you everyone for all the input.  Nice to know I wasn't alone in looking at it. Nice thing for me is that my personal rifle I train with and use, is the same rifle I carry on duty.  So, cross platforms, not too worried about.  Just would need to buy 2 as I am building a "training rifle", that is the same as my "duty rifle".  

But, digress. Ill pass on the BAD. I can see the advantage, it does speed up the operation..  but in reality, reloading doesn't take up much of what I am expecting to do with my rifle, versus the trade off of extra gear on the rifle, finger clearance with gloves, etc.

All though, I have wanted an ambi safety for a long time, so I will satisfy my urge to tinker with my stick by doing that. Thank you all for the input.

Tu7wwUX.png?1

#14 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, sure, give into the peer presure and don't get one.

I've ran one on my rifle for the better part of a year now. I went with the magpul one and found that it has helped me with malfunction drills (locking back without having to change everything up) in the begining, I did have a problem like DStevenson, where I would get going too fast and send the bolt home too soon. After forcing myself to slow down for a couple classes and focus on changing my reloading process I havn't had the problem since. Like anything else, if you want to try one, train with it long before you run it in real life.

• DStevenson and DirtyTrigger like this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#15 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, sure, give into the peer presure and don't get one.

I've ran one on my rifle for the better part of a year now. I went with the magpul one and found that it has helped me with malfunction drills (locking back without having to change everything up) in the begining, I did have a problem like DStevenson, where I would get going too fast and send the bolt home too soon. After forcing myself to slow down for a couple classes and focus on changing my reloading process I havn't had the problem since. Like anything else, if you want to try one, train with it long before you run it in real life.

I think that is the kicker.  I would like to play with one more.  I admit, it is nice not having to bring the second hand up to the rifle.  Maybe spin yours a bit at the class?

Tu7wwUX.png?1

#16 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

Yeah no worries, I'll have mine there for you play with! Better start curls to be able to hold it though! That rifle needs to go on a major diet overhaul!

• Davis likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#17 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

"My rifle is not fat... you're just not strong enough to handle it! I call my weapon Thor"

Obligator joke... My weapon is not named and I apologize for the off topic.

• PsychoFish likes this

89BccLb.png

#18 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

Dirty, I will bring my extra BAD lever to class. We can install it on your rifle and if you want to hang on to it for a while and try it out you are welcome to it. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#19 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Dirty, I will bring my extra BAD lever to class. We can install it on your rifle and if you want to hang on to it for a while and try it out you are welcome to it. 

That sir, would be awesome.    Might as well really try it.  Love the input.

Tu7wwUX.png?1

#20 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

If you do wind up deciding to get one, I'd at least consider the Troy version over Magpul...  There's a lot of extra "play" with the B.A.D. lever when it's mounted.  The Troy model is definitely more robust and secure.  I've run them both (borrowed a friend's BAD before ordering a Troy for myself) and the difference is night and day imo.

NoTMZyB.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Magpul

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users