Photo

Is There A Reason, Not to Use a B.A.D. Lever?

Magpul

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, sure, give into the peer presure and don't get one.

I've ran one on my rifle for the better part of a year now. I went with the magpul one and found that it has helped me with malfunction drills (locking back without having to change everything up) in the begining, I did have a problem like DStevenson, where I would get going too fast and send the bolt home too soon. After forcing myself to slow down for a couple classes and focus on changing my reloading process I havn't had the problem since. Like anything else, if you want to try one, train with it long before you run it in real life.

A valid arguement PsychoFish.... It without question helps with malfunctions as its now much easier to lock that bolt back.

I'll run it some more with and without gloves and give it another shot.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#22 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Its worth noting that I believe, and do, still push the bolt catch release on occations. Its no different than trying to secure your half empty mag during a tac reload. I try twice. After twice of not getting that stupid thing to stay where I put it, I let it fall. Keep your training consistent, but don't lock yourself into that method. If you snag a buddies gun and it doesn't have a BAD on there, are you really going to stop and give the gun the "duh" stare? Probably not. You will reach for that lever once or twice, realize its not there (not installed, snapped off, bent, whatever) and solve the problem.

• Davis likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#23 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:32 PM

I had the two piece phase 5. Does not work with a redi-mag. Had a BAD for years. If you have a malfunction, not taking your firing hand off the grip to lock the bolt to the rear is worth the cost of it, even you only use it that one time. I run the charging handle for reloads so the BAD rarely gets used. But I'm not taking it off.

#24 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

I run a BAD lever about 90% of the time. However I train both ways. I will train with my awesome rifle... then I will pick up my ratty piece of shit colt and run that configuration. I tend to run both rifles each day I train.

The end of the day it always has and always will boil down to training.

One could argue that if you train with all the add ons you are going to be fucked if you pick up a stock carbine and fumble around with a system that you are not used to. The opposite of the arguement also applies. If you run a stock gun all the time when you pick up a modified one you will think you are holding some fantastic ray gun that has buttons and switches all over it. This day in age AR15's are so customizable that everyone is doing it. Civilians, Military, Police, Security are all modding their weapons how they want.

So train both way, familiarize yourself with more than one configuration, move towards learning it all instead of sticking with what you know. I always tell groups to standardize, but that only works in a perfect world. In the real world you dont get to choose your battlefield, conflict very rarely happens when and where you determine with this your equipment may also not be a standard that you have with you. It may be a battlefield pick up that you have to adapt to using...therefore it only makes sense to train with all of it.

• Psybain, LongHaul, Davis and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#25 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:00 AM

Steve,

I did pick it up from Adam and I do love it.  Amazing what you can do with it.  And yes, I am building my second rifle and be a bit different from what I am working with now.  Irons and less do dads.  And I will probably give it a ratty camo paint job.   hehe Cant wait

You bring up some good points.  And to be honest, I am know more guys with tricked out rifles, then stock ones

• Davis likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Magpul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users