13 replies to this topic

#1 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

What do you guys use and think is the best eye pro for low light and no light shooting courses. 

I have the Oakley Persimmon lenses and have been trying them out in low to no light times of day and they seem pretty good but I'm not sure if they will cut it for a class or if I need to just go with clear lenses?

Thoughts?

EDIT: NVG's will (unfortunately) not be involved. 

Edited by Davis, 06 April 2014 - 07:07 AM.

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#2 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

What do you guys use and think is the best eye pro for low light and no light shooting courses. 

I have the Oakley Persimmon lenses and have been trying them out in low to no light times of day and they seem pretty good but I'm not sure if they will cut it for a class or if I need to just go with clear lenses?

Thoughts?

I have always just used the clear lenses myself.  My night vision setup should be here within a week or two I will let you know what seems to work with the PVS-14 monocular setup.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#3 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:43 AM

Oakley clear lenses. I generally hated wearing eyepro during night shoots as the NVGs always used to hit the lenses, but I quickly realized the value after nearly poking my eye out on a night patrol or three. The trick is to offset the NVG unit far enough from your lens but close enough that you can still see out of the unit reliably.

I've found that the best eyepro as far as that goes is using the Oakley M frames or Ballistic M frames as the lenses really wrap around your eyes. Otherwise I rock the Flak Jackets 99% of the time.

All the above was working w/ PVS-14s. So if you're fancy and have other systems, then YMMV.

Anyone else notice that NVGs always suck and look nothing like they do on tv/video games!?

• PsychoFish likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

Anyone else notice that NVGs always suck and look nothing like they do on tv/video games!?

That's cause you're infantry bro. We got the badass NVGs that you could actually see out of, but you also don't want a bunch of blind pilots and crewman trying to land aircraft.
  • Jersey0311 likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:41 AM

That's cause you're infantry bro. We got the badass NVGs that you could actually see out of, but you also don't want a bunch of blind pilots and crewman trying to land aircraft.

You know, every time I called in one of the birds at night for a resupply, gave them the LZ brief, marked the LZ, even spun the IR buzzsaw, they'd still drop their load a few hundred meters away from where I asked them to put it.

But yeah, can't have blind pilots and aircrew. Shit is bad news bears.

TBL-2.png

#6 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

I just edited my original post, but just to clarify, the class will not be utilizing NVG's.  I have not yet reached the personal goal of being able to afford such cool kid toys. 

I probably should have just said night time shooting utilizing WML's and possibly some scenarios with vehicles for illumination. The class is not scheduled yet, so I don't know what the moon phase will be to see how much celestial lighting we will have. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#7 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

I think that was just Jersey and I getting OT on who had the cooler shit while in the Corps.
  • Jersey0311 likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#8 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:20 AM

For our night qualifications, I've tried clear lens and I tried yellow tinted lens. Supposidly, the yellow is suposed to open your eyes to more light or some nonsense. I will rock clear for most night classes. Something I've noticed also is that my glasses fog up a lot more/easier during night shoots so I use "scope dope" on my shooting glasses now. Its just a gel type liquid that we use on our scopes and binoculars to keep them from fogging up on cold morning.

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#9 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

I just edited my original post, but just to clarify, the class will not be utilizing NVG's.  I have not yet reached the personal goal of being able to afford such cool kid toys. 

I probably should have just said night time shooting utilizing WML's and possibly some scenarios with vehicles for illumination. The class is not scheduled yet, so I don't know what the moon phase will be to see how much celestial lighting we will have. 

Clear lenses, bar none. I've used the yellow/amber ones, but found that the color threw everything off. With a WML, you might as well use the clear lenses since you're using white light.

TBL-2.png

#10 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

I roll clear when I do night/low light drills. I, like Jersey, tried other things, but I think the colors being off was messing with my head. I kept doubting my eyes.

89BccLb.png

#11 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

I have a set of ESS ICE glasses. Been meaning to get one of the yellow low light lenses for them.

#12 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

Clear it is. Time to get on Standard Issue and order a new set of lenses.

Thanks guys!

• PsychoFish likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#13 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Any sort of color lenses is going to reduce the light coming through them which will make working in the dark difficult.  I believe the idea between the yellow is to increase contrast in dawn/dusk timeframes  I use them inside at pistol ranges and like the yellow tint but for dark it will all be clear lenses for me.

• Davis likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#14 Krono34

Krono34

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

I've been using Oakley M frames for over a decade. They are awesome glasses. I'm still using my first brown tint lenses this many years later.

Last year i was introduced to Smith Elite Optics- mind blown... If you wear peltors, look at the Echo model which is a flat metal frame so you dont get headaches or just generally annoyed by your frames under your earpro. I also have the Boogie Regulator model which are low profile goggles with optional bungie straps to attach on the helmet. I've jumped with all 3, all awesome and have saved my eyeballs more than once

(I too hate the GPS-guided tree branches)
  • Davis likes this
'OVER THE LINE! This isn't Nam Smokey, there are rules... MARK IT ZERO!'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users