16 replies to this topic

#1 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:21 PM

One of my buddys from another forum sent me five of these nifty little things. They probably taste like shit, but I'll settle for available calories during an emergency occurrence or something. The flavors I received are: pepperoni, italian style, honey bbq chicken, bacon and cheddar, and honey BBQ beef. But the question I have is, are the date codes imprinted on the individual packaging the same exact format as the date codes found on individual items found in milspec MREs? Am I right in presuming a "2227" date code stamp indicates a manufacturing date of 227th day of 2002? Or is it 2012?

http://www.theemssto...es-/#ReviewTabs

#2 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

it would be 2012 unless of course its from a dealer that likes to hose people. If its military I can almost guarantee that its 2012... but the chance you take is that its actually 2002 or worse 1992. Likely though its 227th day of 2012 you can cross check it by its menu. Look at menu items in 2002 and menu items in 2012... look at the tobasco expiration date as well... that will give you a better clue.

Posted Image

#3 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

One of my buddys from another forum sent me five of these nifty little things. They probably taste like shit, but I'll settle for available calories during an emergency occurrence or something. The flavors I received are: pepperoni, italian style, honey bbq chicken, bacon and cheddar, and honey BBQ beef. But the question I have is, are the date codes imprinted on the individual packaging the same exact format as the date codes found on individual items found in milspec MREs? Am I right in presuming a "2227" date code stamp indicates a manufacturing date of 227th day of 2002? Or is it 2012?

http://www.theemssto...es-/#ReviewTabs

Here's a link to a document that describes the date code that Bridgford uses on their sandwiches. I'm pretty sure that they introduced these sandwiches in 2010, but at any rate the "2227" is the 227th day of 2012. They have a three year shelf life when stored below 80 degrees, so you should still be good to go. I bought a few a while back and they taste pretty good. I've tried the barbeque and the sweet and sour chicken.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#4 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

Here's a link to a document that describes the date code that Bridgford uses on their sandwiches. I'm pretty sure that they introduced these sandwiches in 2010, but at any rate the "2227" is the 227th day of 2012. They have a three year shelf life when stored below 80 degrees, so you should still be good to go. I bought a few a while back and they taste pretty good. I've tried the barbeque and the sweet and sour chicken.

Outstanding! Thank you, sir.

EDIT: How did you slam those down? Straight from the package?

Edited by Beaucoup VC, 13 April 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#5 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

I ate the BBQ sandwich straight out of the bag at room temperature and it was alright. I heated the sweet and sour chicken sandwich by putting the bag in boiling water for a few minutes. The sandwiches aren't bad at room temperature, but heating it up improves the experience a bit.

#6 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:26 PM

Man, I wouldn't feed those to detainees, let alone eat them if I had a choice.

Yeech.

Beats eating dirt though!

• LongHaul likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#7 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Man, I wouldn't feed those to detainees, let alone eat them if I had a choice.

Yeech.

Beats eating dirt though!

Well, as they say, "hunger is the best spice." I really didn't think they were bad. The sandwiches definitely do have that distinct MRE-ish edge to the flavor though. I'm not planning to start taking them to work for lunch or anything, but they're handy for a bugout bag or vehicle emergency kit. My six year old likes 'em!

#8 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

no way man... I love MRE's really love the sandwiches they rock. About the only thing in MRE's i wont eat is the Chilimac and the chicken and dumplings.

Posted Image

#9 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

You guys want a great source on MRE's of all types check out the Epicenter in Eugene Oregon. Crappy website but a great guy to work with, great prices and whatnot too.... Also check out Thrive food. Very good stuff. ate some 12 year old chicken salad :) and it was derishous

• LongHaul likes this
Posted Image

#10 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

no way man... I love MRE's really love the sandwiches they rock. About the only thing in MRE's i wont eat is the Chilimac and the chicken and dumplings.

Hey now! The Chilimac isn't bad if you use the heater and then dump the Tabasco in. It's not as good as the Beef Stew or anything, but it's not THAT bad.

#11 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

I object, good sir! Both of those are easily my favorite menus. 

#12 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

The chicken pesto is definitely a no go haha I pick up MREs at the commissary now and then.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#13 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

The chicken pesto is definitely a no go haha I pick up MREs at the commissary now and then.

Blasphemy! Chicken Pesto is one of my favorites!

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#14 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:47 PM

This discussion gave me an idea for a new topic. I started a "Rate your Top and Bottom 2 MREs" discussion under scuttlebutt. Let the debate begin!

• mangeface likes this

#15 Condition Write

Condition Write

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 52 posts
  • LocationThe Hills of Kentuckistan

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

You guys want a great source on MRE's of all types check out the Epicenter in Eugene Oregon. Crappy website but a great guy to work with, great prices and whatnot too....

+1.  I've ordered from Epicenter several times and have always been pleased with what I got...

... well, as pleased as you can be with MREs, anyway.

The pen is not mightier than the sword. If a man has a sword, he can make a man with a pen write anything he wants.

The answer, then, is to have a pen and a sword.

#16 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

I love the chicken pesto. It's even fun as it makes my shit neon green so it's a festive wilderness experience!
Posted Image

#17 Boanerges

Boanerges

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTideH20

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

I'd eat any and all MRE's period, 360 days a year, just as long as they don't taste bitter or sour!!!! Remember in a survival situation, "food has to meet three requirements.... (1) be nutritious, (2) be of sufficient quantity to keep ones guts from screeming, (3) be able to make a turd."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users