11 replies to this topic

#1 GigantorTX

GigantorTX

Landlubber

• Validating
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDFW, Texas

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

Anybody have any suggestions for tactical clothes for a big and tall guy? I'm 6'10 and not skinny at all at the moment and most clothing I find through tactical/survival websites doesn't have much in the way of extended sizing. In fact, most of it comes with a "this product runs true to size/small" warnings, which don't do me much good.

I'm not really looking for full batle gear or uniforms, but some of the specialized hoodies and other clothing meant to ensure mobility while still looking like you could wear it to a casual job would be great.

• DirtyTrigger likes this

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

Sounds like a job for DirtyTrigger. He's 6'7".
  • Psybain likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

Yeah this is definitely one for Dirty, if anyone on here would know its DirtyTrigger.

89BccLb.png

#4 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Holy crap dude, 6'10"! I'll bet you could conceal a full size Desert Eagle 50. 

• mangeface likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#5 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:05 PM

Thank you gentlmen for the intro.  And yes, I was drawn right away to this thread due to the title.

Gig, I wish I had some good news for you.  I am 6'7", about 230.  I get away with some stuff off the rack, such 5.11 or army BDUs, but barely.  Even with full high boots, if I sit down, they will still at times, hike up over the boot.  Im probably a true, 38 inseam.  But fake it with 36's. Again, go with high boots and threaten the first MoFo with controlled pair to the head if I hear once crack about "Going fishing, 'cause it most be highwater!"

One thing you could, notably if you get multi-cam or something common, is take it to a good stitcher and have them add to the bottom.   As far tops go.  I dunno.  I'm more basketballish than footballish. So either I wear XL shirt and my wrists stick out, or, if I get XXL for the arm length, I feel like a flying squirrel as I am 36 waist.  (I go with the wrists sticking out) 

I know the Army has some wide ranging BDU sizes, if you can find them for tops.   

But off hand, I dont know of anyone, who provides tac clothing for "big-tall' guys.  

Wish best brother.

• mangeface likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#6 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Holy shit. 6'7", 230 with a 36" waist? Jeez, I feel like a uber fatass now. I'm 5'9", 185 with a 34" waist.

Hey Gigantor, if you give us some more measurements, like weight, waist, chest, inseams and arms I'm sure we could find something. That's definitely what this community is good at.

Edited by mangeface, 14 April 2014 - 09:11 PM.

VQz5Nwz.png

#7 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

Holy shit. 6'7", 230 with a 36" waist? Jeez, I feel like a uber fatass now. I'm 5'9", 185 with a 34" waist.

Hey Gigantor, if you give us some more measurements, like weight, waist, chest, inseams and arms I'm sure we could find something. That's definitely what this community is good at.

Well, Ok maybe more like 225...  with a shirt on   ;)

• mangeface likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:40 AM

mangeface, first rule of insults... don't call someone Gigantor when they have a whole foot on you, you gotta remember his arms will be beating you to a pulp while you whack away at this elbows.=)  (hint: get in tight and make those limbs useless, unless he also knows how to grapple... then just run away)

I'm 6'0 180lbs, by no means in the tall guy category stated above but I still run into the same issue with wrists coming out in almost all of my shirts and it drives me crazy.  I keep finding myself pulling at my sleeves to keep the wrists covered.  Unless you have a "tactical tailor" (pun intended) you're never going to get everything you need to make you happy, not at that height.  I wish you luck in your search, I can see how it would be frustrating... I'd gladly take a couple inches of that height if I could... 6'4" is perfect in my book =)

Edited by DStevenson, 15 April 2014 - 05:41 AM.

• mangeface likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#9 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

mangeface, first rule of insults... don't call someone Gigantor when they have a whole foot on you, you gotta remember his arms will be beating you to a pulp while you whack away at this elbows.=)  (hint: get in tight and make those limbs useless, unless he also knows how to grapple... then just run away

Gigantor is his forum name though. No insults intended.

VQz5Nwz.png

#10 GigantorTX

GigantorTX

Landlubber

• Validating
  • 13 posts
  • LocationDFW, Texas

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. I'll start from the top...

DirtyTrigger, I used to be built a lot more like you back in the day. When I played college basketball, I was 275 pounds with a 36-38 inch waist. Even back then, people were shocked to hear I was a basketball player and not a football player.  These days I unfortunately look more like an offensive lineman than a power forward. I wear a 36 inseam and have about a 39-40 sleeve length. Pants oddly enough aren't usually the issue, it's finding shirts that are long enough. I have a long torso, so even the 3XLT stuff I usually wear still comes up short after a few times through the laundry. Also, trying to find boots in a size 17 is a horrible P.I.T.A. as well.

Mangeface, I'm going to be getting back into working out soon, so once I get back down to a reasonable level, I'll probably hit you guys up for some custom recommendations. Until then, nothing is going to fit me outside of gnarly Big & Tall store clothing. And don't worry about calling me Gigantor. Besides being my username, it's been a nickname used by a few close buddies for a long time.

DStevenson, watch out. Some of us big guys like to get in and throw elbows and knees because we can do it from a range you aren't prepared for, that fun "inside your reach but outside of your grappling wheelhouse" area. Watch Jon Jones fight, he throws evil elbows from distances where guys don't expect them to be able to reach, but they do.

• mangeface likes this

#11 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:20 AM

I make it a general rule not to insult gentlemen of your size =)

It's kept me alive so far.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#12 mddevildog

mddevildog

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

You might want to check out Propper. They make a lot of mil spec stuff and they will oft times make special sizes. Having said that, their unhemmed inseams are 37.5"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users