8 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

One of my coworkers showed me this, never heard of it before.

http://ratstourniquet.com/

Thoughts? This looks interesting.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,599 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Looks like it could be knocked loose quite easily.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 mfrench

mfrench

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Im not med at all but I prefer the elastic band style. My departments EMT/Med guy says they get the tightest, stay tight, and are wide enough to really restrict blood flow. And thats what he was told to use in a combat med class he took so thats what I carry.

#4 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:52 PM

MFRENCH, is that the SWAT-T thingy?   The only knock, and its a major one against the SWAT-T is they don.t do well when they get wet, i.e. blood.  I have 2 good friends of mine, both with some serious TacMed time behind them and both avoid it. (one flat out hates it)  All though, i admit, I still carry one, more as a general purpose sorta thing, help with a splint or rig up a compression bandage. 

• Jersey0311 likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#5 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

MFRENCH, is that the SWAT-T thingy?   The only knock, and its a major one against the SWAT-T is they don.t do well when they get wet, i.e. blood.  I have 2 good friends of mine, both with some serious TacMed time behind them and both avoid it. (one flat out hates it)  All though, i admit, I still carry one, more as a general purpose sorta thing, help with a splint or rig up a compression bandage. 

True story. I don't carry one for that reason. CAT/SOFT-TW is what I carry. The SWAT-T is useful for things other than being a TQ like DirtyTrigger said.

(I'm a med person w/ tac time as well)

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#6 mfrench

mfrench

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthEast

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

Good info to know. Ive never thought of that, looks like Ill have to pick up a CAT as well!

#7 RKlenka

RKlenka

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 70 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Is it the whole unit, cord in all? or is it just the carabiner? A carabiner that can double as a TQ with a cord would be neat but i would only use it if i had nothing else. The cord looks two small and its primary cut off squeeze looks like just the first wrap, with the sequential wraps more for support. Having to wrap multiple times is one of the things i don't like about SWAT-Ts. I prefer one wide wrap if at all possible. If its cheap i wouldn't mind picking up a few just to have another option.

I have SWAT-Ts everywhere, they are pretty cheap, small and have multiple uses. I also have CATs everywhere as well.

Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Instructor, ACT Instructor, ALIVE! Combatives Instructor, Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator, blah blah blah and so on.
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

#8 Giner

Giner

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago, USA

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Jersey, always appreciate seeing something new, to me, anyway.  Hmmm, I watched that RAT vid and do not see any compelling reason to change out the CATs in my kit.  Swatties are useful, as DirtyTrigger and mfrench have pointed out, but CAT remain it for me.

• Jersey0311 likes this

#9 bruceleroy

bruceleroy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRocky Mountains

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

If you use the same rationale that is obviously used for the makers of this tourniquet, I could use a shoe lace as long as I wrap it around enough. I am sure it stops the bleeding, but I have been taught for over a decade that a tourniquet needs to be 1" wide at a minimum. Sure, this one is, if you wrap it neatly. If you dont then I believe that this would cause undue harm. After all, tourniquets hurt, and they hurt bad if done right.

ETA: As someone trained on releasing a tourniquet in times of extended use etc. I am having a hard time seeing how I could do a controlled release with a bungee cord. Just my 2 cents, nothing more.

Edited by bruceleroy, 05 May 2014 - 08:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users