11 replies to this topic

#1 FreeStyle1138

FreeStyle1138

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 80 posts
  • LocationHolly Ridge, NC

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:06 AM

Just wanted to get some clarification on a few things. As I posted in a previous post, I'll be reporting to the Coast Guards SMTC as a Weapons Instuctor aboard Camp LeJeune. The wife and I found a nice place to rent in Holly Ridge and I'll finally have a garage I can work in. A yard for my pups. Just a house... just to relax. Anyways, onto my questions.

First off, it's my understanding that NC doesn't follow a few federal laws. Regarding Active Duty Military being registered (DL and Vehicles). But what about weapons? I know for buying a pistol I will have to get a permit. Can I be an out of state resident and do this? What about rifles? If CA doesn't play ball (Not hopeful) I'll have to transfer my Lower(Just the lower, haven't built it yet) through FFL's. Do i need a permit for that?

Also, I have an OR CCW. Based on the usacarry.com (fairly upto date) I am good to carry in NC. Anyone have any other info on this? I will be looking to get my NC CCW as well. For the wife as well.

Any heads up would be much appreciated. I've started doing my own research, but a quick summerize would help. I'm stacked right now, trying to do a change of command, get my Armory relief going and still working on moving stateside.

Thanks!

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:56 AM

Since you're going to be living there you will be able to. As far as I remember, there are no permits required to buy firearms in NC. What you'll need is proof of residency when you go to purchase. Shouldn't be hard, you can just use a copy of your orders (I used a fishing license). But you will need something proving your address, like a utility bill (or a fishing license).

As far as carrying you're fine with the Oregon license.

Edited by mangeface, 19 April 2014 - 04:59 AM.

• FreeStyle1138 likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

I believe there is a pistol purchase permit in NC you obtain it from the CLEO with jurisdiction over your neighborhood.  

I never had a NC DL/Registration while I was stationed in NC although it was only for a little over 5 months but it was technically a PCS.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

I went through the process for Craven county in 2012, so I might be able to assist a bit.

You need to have a NCDL or NC state ID in order to get a NC CCW permit, there's no way around it. They associate your NCDL/ID number to your CCW card. You also need a PPP (pistol purchase permit) from your sheriff in order to buy any pistols... unless you have a NC CCW permit, then you just show that in lieu of the PPP. As far as being a non-resident and getting a PPP... when I was in NC, I was still a CA-resident, but I had a NCDL, so I never really had to worry about that legal gray area. Since you're planning on getting your NC CCW for you and your wife, you might as well get your guys state IDs once you meet the residency requirements (1 month, I think) before worrying about the PPPs.

Now for the bad news, holly ridge is in onslow county, and their sheriff is kind of a douche (if you choose to vote in NC, then you can fire his ass in Nov), and last I heard, all military in onslow county need to have their CO and the base PMO sign off saying you're authorized to have a CCW permit. Since I had my own place in Craven County, they just treated me like an everyday citizen because I never brought up being active duty and they didn't ask, although I've heard that policies have changed in craven county and if they know you're military then you need to do the same thing, which is absolutely retarded in my opinion.

As of 2011, NC recognizes all other states' CCW permits, so your OR permit will still be legit until you get the NC one. If you have any other questions, let me know.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#5 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

Guy is uber douche. I have no clue how he keeps getting reelected as sheriff.
  • Psybain likes this

VQz5Nwz.png

#6 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

Onslow County as a whole is uber douche, exceedingly lame, and is the armpit of the Carolinas.

• Psybain and mangeface like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#7 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Onslow County as a whole is uber douche, exceedingly lame, and is the armpit of the Carolinas.

It's the abortion that refuses to die. White trash, boots, and a shittacular sheriff, and that's only the start of the list :P

Gotta love that Lejeune drinking water, it's fortified with tumors! :D
  • Jersey0311 likes this

#8 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

And the embryonic fluids of all the abortions.
  • Psybain likes this

VQz5Nwz.png

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Freestyle, enable pm's so I can shoot you a msg.

#10 FreeStyle1138

FreeStyle1138

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 80 posts
  • LocationHolly Ridge, NC

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

Gotta love that Lejeune drinking water, it's fortified with tumors! :D

Is this for real? I use a brita filter at home... but seriously?

Also, it's turned on.

#11 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:09 AM

No, it's not for real. Just us telling jokes to remind ourselves it's the armpit of the world.

VQz5Nwz.png

#12 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

Is this for real? I use a brita filter at home... but seriously?

Also, it's turned on.

Years ago, Lejeune had a problem with the water. If you read the issues of The Globe (the local base paper, available free just about everywhere on base, and only useful for reading material while dining, or cleaning glass), they make mention of the water survey on the USMC website for the base, found here

https://clnr.hqi.usmc.mil/clwater/

http://en.wikipedia....r_contamination

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users