• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

A friendly debate got started in another topic and gave me an idea. What are your favorite and most hated MRE menus? Also, if you're rating a non-military MRE, and you've got the info, tell which manufacturer (MREStar, Sopakco, Wornick, etc.) made the MRE. Here's my entry:

My Top 2 (Military MREs):

Chilimac (heated and served with Tabasco)

Spicy Penne Pasta (heated and served with Tabasco)

My Worst 2 (Military MREs):

Tuna packet (because it's boring and the tortillas are bad)

Pork Rib

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#2 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

Top two:
Beef stew
Chicken enchilada

Worst:
Some breakfast shit I had a few years back. Dog wouldn't even eat it.

#3 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

The egg based MREs are universally gross in my opinion. The maple sausage breakfast menu on the other hand is surprisingly not bad. I expected it to be really awful, but it was pretty good.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Favs: Beef Stew and Tortellini

Despises: Omlet and Some other shit that didn't qualify as food.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#5 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

All .mil MREs

Chili Mac

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Sloppy Joe (go ahead, judge me)

Cheese Tortellini

Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce

Couldn't pick just two, sorry

As far as the worst?

Cheese and Veggie Omelet, hands down. That shit is criminal.

The new First Strike Rations aren't horrible either. Their dessert bars were pretty good, but I preferred MREs to the FSRs.

Edited by Jersey0311, 19 April 2014 - 10:08 PM.

• mangeface likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#6 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

My two favorite menu items are Chicken with Dumplings and Chicken Pesto Pasta. 

The two worst menu items are easily Cheese & Veggie Omelet and Beef Enchilada.

The omelet is plain vomit inducing. No wretched, decomposing organic corpse can surpass the nauseating stench of that shit. I am fairly certain that Iraq and Afghan civilians whom were unfortunate enough to receive the omelet adopted an anti-coalition position. It is also to my formal understanding that an increase in post-traumatic stress and acute anxiety disorders documented in active service personnel were effected by the consumption of omelet entrees. You guys really believe that UBL was smoke-checked by DEVGRU Red Team? Hardly anyone comments about the war dog employed by the aforementioned SOF operators. The dog, a Belgian Malinois named Cairo, was trained to deploy a fresh batch of said omelets on the door steps of Usama's door step. Consequently, this resulted in Ole Boy offing himself.

• mangeface, LongHaul and Jersey0311 like this

#7 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

The only two that stand out as really bad were the Chicken Pesto and buffalo chicken both had a very plastic like taste that made them almost un-edible.  I honestly don't mind most of the others I have had (spent my precision marksmen school eating them daily and pick them up now and then from the commissary to eat while camping or to just have around the house but they get eaten to keep them rotating through)

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#8 Boanerges

Boanerges

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTideH20

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

Like the old saying of years gone by... "There are good cigars and great cigars, but there ain't no bad cigars." The same holds true with MRE'S!!!! Get use to them... they're the main staple in heaven, and they ain't gots no expiration date on them!!!!!!

#9 Boanerges

Boanerges

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTideH20

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

Having visited my stash, and thought about the above statement, I've come to the conclusion that the term heaven might need to be redefined. Heaven: The place where the Devine resides and where MRE'S always taste good and never expire. Of course there are those of you who would vehemently disagree, believing that the mere fact that MRE'S were on the menu would be sufficient proof that one was in Hell or in close proximity there of. Those of you who are of this persuasion must remember the dichotomous nature of the definition put forth, "The place where the Devine dwells" is conjoined by the conjunction, "and", and  thus the two can not be separated. Anyone knowlegeable of the realms of the devine, know that like the greeks of old "ambrosia' was the food of the god's and to the "TRUE" survivalist,  MRE'S are the true food of the devine "ONE." As to those of you who say there is no  Devine anything, well you'll just have to be content with existing in a non existant place forever eating MRE'S, swimming in  ever expanding swimming pool filled with Tabasco Sauce with the MRE heaters shoved up you butts.

Disclaimer: This is not ment to degrade or demean anyone or their belief system, but rather the mental meanderings of a semi- insane retired gunsmith  who is hand cuffed to a pine tree in the back yard and is fed MRE'S with a sling shot by his daughter in law. Ooop's Got to go, it's chow time. I gotsta hide this here computer machine and cover it so the spillage doesn't foul the key board.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MRE, Prepping, favorite, food

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users