#1 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

Team,

in addition to my duties as a PM for my company I am also the SME on alternative power and hybrid (batteries+generator) systems. I've designed and brought to market several systems. If anyone has any questions or need help with systems from pocket sized ones to charge small electronics to large whole house or mobile systems just ask.

La'

Redsol1

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#2 SKD_Tactical

SKD_Tactical

Salty Dog

• ITS Sponsor
  • 519 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Awesome, I always need field rechargeable power for my electronics, but whole home recommendations would be awesome too. I expect I will have a ton of questions for you.

SOS
Visit us at www.skdtac.com
& www.facebook.com/skdtactical
With Skill, Knowledge and Determination... You Will Prevail!

#3 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

no worries sir. anything i can do to help.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#4 SKD_Tactical

SKD_Tactical

Salty Dog

• ITS Sponsor
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

If you wouldn't mind making a list of great power items for camping. Pocket sized to slightly larger for charging electronics quickly in the field.

SOS

#5 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

If you wouldn't mind making a list of great power items for camping. Pocket sized to slightly larger for charging electronics quickly in the field.

SOS

SKD,

Sorry for the delay. i needed to collect my thoughts for a bit.

I'm going to preface my recommendations with 3 disclaimers,

1.) I'm only going to talk about gear that either I use and carry on a daily basis OR that I've worked with or thoroughly researched

2.) I'm going to assume that when you ask for charging in the field (Camping) you're looking for gear that is readily available and has a "Civilian" price tag. If we want to talk LEO or Mil applications i'm happy to do that, but it's a different gear list

3.) I'm lastly going to assume that you're going to be using the gear in the field periodically like a normal human being trying to enjoy the great outdoors and you're not a typical 14 year old who will have their face glued to their smart phone for the whole weekend.

Now all that being said, i'm going to divide my recommendations into two "Power Classes". The first is to support smartphones and small tablets and the second will support multiple smartphones/tablets or larger equipment.

Power Class 1 - Smartphones and Tablets

The real trick with this type of equipment is "power density", or how much power can the charger supply to the phone to charge it. most solar panels are a low power density item, IE they don't produce a lot of power at one time, but they can produce power over a long period of time. You CAN charge a smart phone off of a solar panel, but unless it is a large panel it will take several hours. The way to get around this is to use the solar panel to charge a portable battery system. The battery will have a much faster charge rate than the solar panel and will charge the phone in a shorter period of time.

So the operational procedure here would be to leave the solar panel plugged into the battery during the day while you're out hiking to take advantage of all that free low density power, then use the battery's high charging output to charge your phone in a reasonable amount of time.

Solar Panels

I personally carry a PowerFilm Solar AA + USB folding solar charger. it uses thin film solar panel technology, meaning that the panel is soft and can be folded. When packed it's not much bigger than a large wallet and can fit easily into a back pack, EDC Bag, or glove compartment. I've personally worked with the PowerFilm crew on some of my products and they make a good product. All of their solar panels are made in the USA. the panel has grommets in it so it can be lashed to a tree or clipped to your ruck sack. In addition to the USB output this unit can also charge two AA sized batteries, giving it a little more flexibility. The batteries are also used to store power to use with the USB, so this unit is solar and storage all in one.

http://www.powerfilm...roductID=271506

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B001RMBHMK

51oQtlF3nlL._SY355_.jpg

Pros: small pack and weight, easy to set up

Cons: charging output can decease in high heat conditions

PowerFilm also makes higher output folding and rolling panels that can output to a CLA (CAR Lighter Addapter) socket and you can use any CLA cell phone charger with if you need more charging output. These larger panels are perfect to use with the larger capacity battery packs below.

916fVUp9NvL._SL1500_.jpg

Battery Packs

portable battery packs can be a life saver. I carry one in almost every bag i have. They range from small ones that can get me an extra 30min of talk time in the case of an emergency (i have these stashed around various locations like my truck, car, and bug out bag) to one that can recharge my smartphone 3 times before it needs recharged. batteries are becoming more power dense by the day, so they can hold more charge in a smaller package.

The units i'm going to recommend here are some of the larger units that can charge a phone or full sized tablet multiple times.

Trident Electra 9000

This is my personal favorite portable battery. It has ~9000mah of battery capacity. The iphone 5 has a 1440mah battery for comparison. it has one 1.0AMP USB output for charging headsets and other accessories and one 2.1 amp high output USB for charging phones. It has a rubberized outer cover and weather plugs to help keep dirt and debris out of the charging ports. I carry one in my carry on when i travel and it has saved me more than once. When i get on the plane and turn my phone off I plug it into the Electra and by the time we land my phone is fully charged again. This is one of those pieces of gear that does what it says it does with a little extra style. 

http://www.tridentca...power-9000.aspx

4076-large-cd10f97b-9895-4b79-a72e-3db26

Pros: tough rubberized cover, high capacity, high charging rate

Cons: None, seriously. it's a great piece of gear

Mophie PowerStation

Mophie makes a number of PowerStation units in different sizes and capacities. For the power scale we're looking at here i like the PowerStation Duo. It has ~6000mah of capacity (1/3 less than the Trident Electra above) but it has two 2.1 amp high output USB connections. It is a very beautiful piece of gear, and iPhone addicts will like it because the design cues used on the PowerStation are similar to the iPhone. To me it seems that the PowerStation Duo is a little heavier than the Electra. I had one PowerStation Duo that wouldn't hold a charge. i contacted Mophie and they indicated it was an issue with the unit and sent me a new on.

http://www.mophie.co...-phones-tablets

jpu-pwrstion-duo-blk_right-3qtr_2000px.j

Pros: beautiful design, dual high output charging ports

Cons: heavy for the capacity vs Trident Electra

Kit Systems

LBX Solar Kit 1

The LBX Solar Kit 1 is a turn key kit that has the solar panel, battery, and a carry system all in one. London Bridge Trading does the fabric work and Maddox Defense did the solar and battery portion. We all know London Bridge makes good gear, and i've worked with Maddox in the past. I don't carry this unit, but i've worked with a demo set and was impressed with the unit. the only con i can see without putting more miles on a system is the price, but Crew Leaders could use their discount at Tactical Distributors.

http://www.tacticald...i/category/265/

lbx-2011.jpg

Pros: turn key system, good packaging

Cons: price

My next post will have more on the larger power class.

La'

Redsol1

Edited by redsol1, 25 April 2014 - 07:38 AM.

Posted Image

#6 SKD_Tactical

SKD_Tactical

Salty Dog

• ITS Sponsor
  • 519 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Wow! Thank you, that is the exact type of applications I was going for. I need to sift through this at length. I appreciate that you only recommend gear you have used or understand. SKD has the very same principals for what we sell. Nice to meet like minded individuals.
Thanks. I will have questions in a day or so.

SOS
  • AaronK likes this

#7 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

Wow! Thank you, that is the exact type of applications I was going for. I need to sift through this at length. I appreciate that you only recommend gear you have used or understand. SKD has the very same principals for what we sell. Nice to meet like minded individuals.
Thanks. I will have questions in a day or so.

SOS

No worries sir. hit me with any questions you may have. i'll push out the post with the next power level tonight or tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that all of the products above are available on Amazon (except for the LBX system) and the portable batteries should be available at your local Cell Phone provider.

La'

Redsol1

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, power, off grid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users