16 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:17 PM

Who here carries a fighting bag? IE a bag more so geared towards gunfighting than survival. More bullets and bandages versus firestarters and water purification.

Something along the lines of this

www.ttellc.net/bhgobag.htm

If you had a truck gun, it could be used in conjunction with it, etc. Thinking about putting one together. Maybe not to keep in the vehicle (since I'm in NJ), but to throw in there for long road trips and such.

Thoughts?

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#2 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

I used to deploy a 5.11 PUSH pack in a similar manner.  I eventually decided to move to a chest rig to accomplish the same goal.  The biggest problem with bags like that is the fact that they aren't always were you want them to be.  I used to do a lot of moving and shooting drills that involved going prone at times.  Seems like it never failed, I'd hit the deck and my bag would land somewhere off to the side, and out of reach.  It becomes an even bigger problem if you need to go hands-on with someone.  It's hard to train and develop muscle memory with something that's not always where it's supposed to be.  I use my RUSH as a supplemental blow-out kit now (grab and go for when the lead stops flying) with as much supplies as it'll hold.  All my spare mags, school keys, and primary blow-out kit are fixed to a Banshee.  Now I can train and drill deployment of all the tools with confidence that they'll be in the same place every time I reach for them.

• Jersey0311 likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#3 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'm thinking about making one. Also wanting to get an AMD-65 and turn it into a truck gun mounted behind the back seat.

Keep a lot of bullets (in mags) and enough bandages to patch me and those I care about.

Edited by mangeface, 29 April 2014 - 03:20 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#4 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

I used to deploy a 5.11 PUSH pack in a similar manner.  I eventually decided to move to a chest rig to accomplish the same goal.  The biggest problem with bags like that is the fact that they aren't always were you want them to be.  I used to do a lot of moving and shooting drills that involved going prone at times.  Seems like it never failed, I'd hit the deck and my bag would land somewhere off to the side, and out of reach.  It becomes an even bigger problem if you need to go hands-on with someone.  It's hard to train and develop muscle memory with something that's not always where it's supposed to be.  I use my RUSH as a supplemental blow-out kit now (grab and go for when the lead stops flying) with as much supplies as it'll hold.  All my spare mags, school keys, and primary blow-out kit are fixed to a Banshee.  Now I can train and drill deployment of all the tools with confidence that they'll be in the same place every time I reach for them.

Agreed. However in the context of active shooter response, I'd rather roll with some sort of PC/chest rig set up as well. I feel that a bag like the above is more well suited to supplementing a truck gun of some sort.

I'm thinking about making one. Also wanting to get an AMD-65 and turn it into a truck gun mounted behind the back seat.

Keep a lot of bullets (in mags) and enough bandages to patch me and those I care about.

I think that's the way to go with a bag such as the above.

Alternatively, one could run one of the SOE Micro Rigs to supplement a truck gun as well.

For those who argue that a bag requires food/water, etc, it's going to be in your vehicle. After the fight is over, you should have food/water in your vehicle anyway, along with a GHB that has all that stuff.

However I can understand keeping a bottle of water and a few Clif Bars in the bag for that one time where you simply just can't go back to the vehicle.

TBL-2.png

#5 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

For those who argue that a bag requires food/water, etc, it's going to be in your vehicle. After the fight is over, you should have food/water in your vehicle anyway, along with a GHB that has all that stuff.

However I can understand keeping a bottle of water and a few Clif Bars in the bag for that one time where you simply just can't go back to the vehicle.

Exactly. I see the point of this bag for making a lot of holes in people and patching only a few.

Edited by mangeface, 29 April 2014 - 07:17 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#6 wwilkins

wwilkins

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

I am running a Camelbak Linchpin backpack, it was designed for ammo and for battlefield use.  Very flexible platform to use.  That pack goes from the home, to my the personal vehicle, to the work vehicle and then back home inside with me at the end of the day.    I carry that platform to always have ammo and some gear.  The pack bridges the gap to always feed both a rifle and a sidearm on top of the EDC line.     I tried a battle bag (LA Police Gear)  but had to upgrade that option to allow better storage of my gear, but more importantly, better platform to move and shoot with it while it is on you-My humble rookie opinion.  My truck is full of "Zek" gear, but that is the gotta grab item to danger up and fight effectively.   

Plus,a pack is easy to carry, does not glow "full of bullets" like walking into to house with a chest rig in your hands as your neighbor waves hello to you.  I don't leave dedicated gear like that in the vehicle, it travels with me.   The pack has a TQ, other med gear, water and power bars in it too, that's why I have to run a back pack.   To each their own.  

Grid down survival gear is available, but stored in the POV and home.   

Edited by wwilkins, 29 April 2014 - 07:47 PM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

I have a little bag from LA police gear I think its their bailout bag not 100% sure.  It is running spare rifle/pistol mags and a can of bear spray right now along with a few other things.  I will definitely look at adding a blowout kit into it as soon as I pick up another one.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#8 bruceleroy

bruceleroy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRocky Mountains

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:13 PM

I still carry a bag. My chances, as well as all other non-LEO chances, of running into an active shooter are pretty slim. I keep a small bag with three mags, a multi tool, flashlight and my Army PT belt (makes me bullet proof so I hear).

• Jersey0311 likes this

#9 RKlenka

RKlenka

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 70 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:31 AM

I have IFAKs everywhere and picking up a fighting bag has been on my todo list for a little bit. Something good that i can move from vehicle to vehicle. Few of the places i go to i cant carry or have any firearms on me or in my vehicle so a nice easy system would be nice.

Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Instructor, ACT Instructor, ALIVE! Combatives Instructor, Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator, blah blah blah and so on.
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

#10 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

My eventual plan for my fighting kit is a Haley Strategic D3CR as it will also clip to my plate carrier.

• Jersey0311 likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#11 sykostanger

sykostanger

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:09 AM

I have a Maxpedition pack with 4 AR mags and 3 spare G17 mags with a G19 in it, couple of ashermans in it, some celox, spare knife

few other odds and ends, Its never done with me on a bag, always trying different things and changing others out.

• Jersey0311 likes this

#12 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:50 PM

I run a Grey Ghost Gear LAP in coyote. Inside is a sidearm w/ Surefire X300 and four mags with Federal HST ammunition, two water bottles, three Bridgford MRE sandwiches, black balaclava, and substantial IFAK/trauma kit (mixture of ITS and Chinook Med-purchased supplies). I take the bag with me everywhere I go. There's too many knuckleheads out there to remain intentionally incognizant of.

• Jersey0311 likes this

#13 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:49 PM

I run a Grey Ghost Gear LAP in coyote. Inside is a sidearm w/ Surefire X300 and four mags with Federal HST ammunition, two water bottles, three Bridgford MRE sandwiches, black balaclava, and substantial IFAK/trauma kit (mixture of ITS and Chinook Med-purchased supplies). I take the bag with me everywhere I go. There's too many knuckleheads out there to remain intentionally incognizant of.

How do you get away w/ that in Cali? You OTJ? Or do you live in a CCW friendly county?

TBL-2.png

#14 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

I'm Curious, why the balaclava?

#15 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

I dont have anything quite like the setups mentioned here. This is what I use as my ''fight bag''.

http://www.lapoliceg...istol-case.html

This is hands down the best pistol case that I have ever seen. I am able to keep plenty of mags and a ''fight'' holster ready.

#16 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

How do you get away w/ that in Cali? You OTJ? Or do you live in a CCW friendly county?

Negative. I'm just a lowly caped crusader impostor with hockey pads. If I get into a hairy situation demanding the use of the hand cannon, I'll need to navigate through two zippers and a small luggage combo lock to go hot. Unfortunately for me, California laws are meant to see who the fastest firearm-owning, law abiding citizen is during felonious life threatening situations.

Flame/fire retardant.

• Jersey0311 likes this

#17 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:43 AM

interesting! cool idea. im gonna look into that idea. 

Posted Image

"Any questions, comments, gripes, bitches, or complaints? Well, I will address them in order of the amount of fucks given. Thanks and I don't give a shit how the rest of your day is." 1SG Kirkland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users