#1 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

Team,

I'm toying with the idea of picking up an Arc'teryx LEAF jacket to replace a NorthFace fleece i have. I'm having trouble decoding the Arc'teryx product descriptions and I am also looking for some imput into the value and quality of the gear. I'm not adverse to paying top dollar for a good piece of gear that i can depend on for a number of years, but i personaly think that North Face gear is overpriced for what it delivers.

So the question for all AT owners/users here is, do you think that AT gear provides good value that justifies the high price of the LEAF product line? If so waht product would you recomend? i'm looking for something that i can wear in transitional seasons (IE early spring to no jacket weather and then mid fall into heavy coat winter), could be part of a layering system,  and it would replace a NorthFace fleece. i would be OK with either a zip up or a pull  over. i was thinking about the Atom LT jacket, the Covert Hoody, or the Naga Hoody.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

La'

• Superman likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#2 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Team,

I'm toying with the idea of picking up an Arc'teryx LEAF jacket to replace a NorthFace fleece i have. I'm having trouble decoding the Arc'teryx product descriptions and I am also looking for some imput into the value and quality of the gear. I'm not adverse to paying top dollar for a good piece of gear that i can depend on for a number of years, but i personaly think that North Face gear is overpriced for what it delivers.

So the question for all AT owners/users here is, do you think that AT gear provides good value that justifies the high price of the LEAF product line? If so waht product would you recomend? i'm looking for something that i can wear in transitional seasons (IE early spring to no jacket weather and then mid fall into heavy coat winter), could be part of a layering system,  and it would replace a NorthFace fleece. i would be OK with either a zip up or a pull  over. i was thinking about the Atom LT jacket, the Covert Hoody, or the Naga Hoody.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

La'

I second the motion...I'd like those opinions too ;)

Posted Image

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

I had a great experience with them, I've had the jacket so long that I don't even remember the model or anything, but it was fairly expensive at the time. Recently the bottom dropped out and I called them they said to send it to them so I did. It took a long time to get it back (2 months) but it was returned and it was fixed and I spent only shipping to get it to them.

89BccLb.png

#4 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

Before i was a cop (8 yrs now) i was a MP in Army NG (6yrs). Back Then, my daily job was outdoor retail sales(5yrs). I was all up in TNF, Marmot, mountain hardwear, arcteryx, and others. Arcteryx (all made in canada) before LEAF was top dollar and top quality. I still believe Arcteryx is top dollar and top quality. I believe, with the exception of accessories, all arcteryx is made in canada.

As of now, from arcteryx i own black combat jacket, knee pads, and 3 leaf caps. Eventually i will have an alpha shell. I ve used the combat jacket through two winters in SC. To most, SC has a mild winter. I use the jacket as duty cold weather top. It works just fine for me. The knee pads only get used with SRT call outs or those really rugged all day training days where i have to take a knee often.

Anyway, if youre a LEO or Military, you can sign up to pro purchase LEAF online with 15%-25% discount on current line and previous version gear. Go to the links below to check them out

My opinion, save your money and get arcteryx leaf. Dont settle for 5.11, TNF, or others...

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/?EN

And

http://tasweb.arcteryx.com/ArcShopProOrder.aspx

Edited by jgnolen, 30 April 2014 - 07:52 PM.

#5 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

Before i was a cop (8 yrs now) i was a MP in Army NG (6yrs). Back Then, my daily job was outdoor retail sales(5yrs). I was all up in TNF, Marmot, mountain hardwear, arcteryx, and others. Arcteryx (all made in canada) before LEAF was top dollar and top quality. I still believe Arcteryx is top dollar and top quality. I believe, with the exception of accessories, all arcteryx is made in canada.

As of now, from arcteryx i own black combat jacket, knee pads, and 3 leaf caps. Eventually i will have an alpha shell. I ve used the combat jacket through two winters in SC. To most, SC has a mild winter. I use the jacket as duty cold weather top. It works just fine for me. The knee pads only get used with SRT call outs or those really rugged all day training days where i have to take a knee often.

Anyway, if youre a LEO or Military, you can sign up to pro purchase LEAF online with 15%-25% discount on current line and previous version gear. Go to the links below to check them out

My opinion, save your money and get arcteryx leaf. Dont settle for 5.11, TNF, or others...

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/?EN

And

http://tasweb.arcter...opProOrder.aspx

JG.

Thanks for the info. based on what you and DWDoc had to say I think i'm going to pick up something from AT. I'm not LEO or Mil, so I'll use the ITS discount at TacticalDistributors.

On a side note, i did a demo for Fluor at their location in Greenville. We had a good time the night before and the demo went very well.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#6 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:35 AM

On a side note, i did a demo for Fluor at their location in Greenville. We had a good time the night before and the demo went very well.

La'

TD is where i purchased my Arcteryx Soft shell, during one of their 20% or 25% discount sales. Their overnight delivery beats everyone, even amazon. It is the closest thing to instant gratification as if you were shopping in a physical store.

Thats cool! Coincidentally, My parents work at Fluor and have been for years... What kind of demo was it?

#7 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:47 AM

Thats cool! Coincidentally, My parents work at Fluor and have been for years... What kind of demo was it?

It was a tactical shelter, expeditionary power, and hybrid power systems demo combined with a VTC with the Fluor team in Afg. that was really cool being on line with the guys in theater.

La'

• iExpresso likes this
Posted Image

#8 HungrySeaGull

HungrySeaGull

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

I own numerous Arc'teryx products, and yes, I beleve they are well worth the moneys.

The term buy once cry once applies to Arc'teryx, I have purchased numerous jackets and shirts from this company. The materials used are top notch, you really feel like they have an awesome product development R&D departments and do not compromise on materials, seam, and zipper construction. The pants run too short for me, and for the shirts and jackets, I normally roll a medium, but for them I wear a small.

I like to purchase the Arc items at REI.com or Backcountry.com, which has a very generous return policy, so if the clothing is not performing the way you wanted, they will take it back.

#9 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

Team,

thanks for all the replies. As i mentioned I received the Rho pull over for my B-day. i've worn it once and am now totally sold on Arc'teryx.

La'

Posted Image

#10 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

Congrats on your first piece! I'll still throw out my experience with Arc. I've had their Rampart pants for over 2 years now and wore them pretty much everyday until recently(about 4-6 month ago) I picked up a second pair. Only now are some of the threads starting to come off and it's only where I put my knife. they are amazing, but mainly for warmer environments by themselves. I've also had the Bravo jacket and use it year round consistently, I will be picking another up when I have the $ in a larger size, but the thing just goes forever, no deterioration. I've also got a set of the Atom LT pieces and let me tell you those will keep you warm as all heck. I just carry them on cold days(they stuff sack very small) and put em on over my rampart pants and under the bravo and they keep comfortable while sitting and even too hot while moving. The Alpha jacket/pants will keep you out of the elements, took them to Alaska with me on a trip and was cracking up when everyone was running around with umbrellas against side ways rain getting soaked.

One thing I really do like about Arc is most of their clothes look very stylish, I can wear the bravo when I'm camping and around town/important dinners etc. I look at other clothes now and always have to ask "What does it do besides look good?" I don't need a fancy jacket and a camping jacket, Arc gives me both.

Only downside I see is they started to make lower end LEAF and a lot of their civ lines in China due to increase demand for their products(Arc is getting to be a status brand rather than just professional). I really can't tell a difference in quality but I would feel better paying the prices for products made here.

If you can hold out TD does like iExpresso said has multiple yearly sales where you can snag kit for 20-30% off, huge discount on Arc products.

Guess all the Arc'teryx believers are going to have to start chanting "one of us, one of us" now :up: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users