• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, I guess I can see their point. There's a leather boot conditioner that is supposedly used by wildfire fighters called "Obenauf's." I picked some up a few years ago and use it on my hiking boots and hunting knife sheath. I've been happy with it. They claim that the wildfire fighters use it and it even protects their boots from the damage cause by heat, ash, and the fire fighting chemicals. Maybe it would be enough to protect your boots from the "farm-based factors" you may be exposed to.

• DieselD likes this

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#22 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

Thanks I'll get some and see if that does the trick. :up:

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#23 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

You know maybe its just time to give up and swap to Xtra-Tuffs ;-) https://www.xtratufb...es/default.aspx

Them there are going out shoes here in Alaska.

• Davis likes this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#24 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 03 May 2014 - 04:15 AM

Them there are some style for sure

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#25 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

You know maybe its just time to give up and swap to Xtra-Tuffs ;-) https://www.xtratufb...es/default.aspx

Them there are going out shoes here in Alaska.

Alaska Sneakers!!

I may live in AZ now but I still have my Tuffs with me!

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#26 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

Picked up a pair of uninsulated danner fort lewis boots today. These things are definitely made to last and take some abuse. Gonna have to get them broken in before I use them at work though.
  • mangeface, Davis and DieselD like this

#27 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 06 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

Well my other boots took a shit and I got a pair of Danners. As was said these are some dang fine quality boots.

I figure a week wearing them around the house to start breaking them in and then more of a daily wear.

Thanks for the suggestions and got the Obenauf's as well. That sealed up the old boots real good

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#28 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 07 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for the update
  • DieselD likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#29 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

Might take a look at the boot offerings at http://www.bootcampaign.com/ my next boot purchase will be from here... i figure if i'm going to pay 140 bucks for a pair of boots I might as well support our veterans in the process. I'm know there are other boots out there that are better, but something to think about nonetheless ... 

• spenceman and DieselD like this

#30 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:18 AM

Thanks for posting that link

• nroeber78 likes this

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#31 farcyde07gti

farcyde07gti

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:20 PM

Old Danner Hot Browns, Danner RATs, Bates full leather durashocks, and Adidas terrex mid gtx.  Of all the Danner hot browns are the oldest and most comfortable from The Gorge to hours standing on concrete.  I can't say how they would hold up to outright abuse, but they have taken a pretty good beating over the years and can be re-soled later.

• DieselD likes this

#32 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 17 March 2015 - 11:22 AM

http://m.ebay.com/it...d=1198257043010

Saw these on eBay the other day and picked up a pair for the hell of it. They aren't the best boots around but for the price they are damn good. Actually surprisingly very well made and comfortable. Thought I'd pass the word on .
  • DieselD likes this

#33 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:18 PM

I like my Danners and I've gone through a couple pairs over the last several years..... Even when I get issued I new pair I bring the old ones home and they last for a couple more years. Have 2 pairs at one, one at the cabin. Great for anything outdoors.

Negatives to them is that they are a little heavy and bulky, tripped up a couple of stairs that's forsure!

I have two brand new pairs of 5.11's I'm gonna try in the summer but just by looking at them and the material I'm not expecting them to last.
  • DieselD likes this

#34 B+Shooter

B+Shooter

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 58 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

My Danners are some of the only boots that have held up for years.  If you're hard on your boots, take a look at their refurb program.  They have all different levels of service, it may be worth resoling/refurbing a good pair of Danners in the long run.

• DieselD likes this

#35 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:59 AM

Thanks, I'm seriously liking my Danners, Once broke in they are a really comfortable boot and rugged ad hell

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#36 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:40 AM

Yeah they can suck to break in . I love my bull run Christy danners. I can wear them all day but that first few weeks were rough as hell . on top of being comfortable as hell and very well made they look great and clean up very well.
  • DieselD likes this

#37 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:34 AM

It was because of your comments I bought the Danners, thanks again

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#38 mackguy

mackguy

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 460 posts
  • LocationLexington, NC

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

I know the OP was answered but I was surprised to not see a Chippewa reference here.. I got some of their loggers over the winter (USA made, somehow I lucked out on Amazon and got them for <$100, a week later Amazon price was $195).  Haven't had them long enough to draw any major conclusions but they are very comfy and feel extremely solid.  

• DieselD likes this

#39 FoxRoe

FoxRoe

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

I'm completely for the Asolo Fugitive GTX's.  Had 3 pairs over 6 years, and 6 deployments.  There's a reason I always see them amongst deployed people.  

I'm seriously considering ordering a 2nd pair to swap to when the ones I have wear out in 2017.  

Pro's of the boot are: 

rigidity:  Neither too stiff or too soft.  "Just right"

agile:  A chief reason it's constantly re-purchased.  The boot isn't bulky at all, and doesn't have the heft to slow you down.  Agile is the best way.  Can scramble up rock, jump over obstacles, and remain fast on your feet even in mountains or on loose gravel.  

Durable:  A pair lasts me about 2 years of near daily wear.  To include jumpin out of planes and long road marches.  Deployments included.  

Stability:  covered all types of environments I can think of with and without additional weight of gear.  I mean snow, mountains, freshly plowed fields (in the dark, you know how much this sucks), urban, Rock faces, Sandy expanses, grass, marsh. Never rolled an ankle in them. 

Cons:

when they break, they break BAD.  Blew the entire side of one out on a jump, they were getting old, should have expected it.  

Cost: expensive, but worth every penny. 

• DieselD likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users