Photo

Who else carries an old no contract cell phone?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:34 PM

Team,

I thought I'd put this one out there. i carry an old Moto Razr digital/analog (yes, the flip phone) in my car bag. One thing that most folks don't know is that even if a phone has no contract (IE cell service thru a provider like Verizon or AT&T) it will still dial 911 and provide a GPS location (if the phone has GPS) for emergency services. I carry this phone in case i have an accident and my full service cell phone is lost or damaged or if I have to bail out of my vehicle and only have time to grab my car bag.

Anyone else do this?

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:46 PM

I do not carry one in my EDC but I do keep one at home for such situations. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:50 PM

I have one in my bag that serves 3 purposes.
1. Remote GPS receiver for my tablet (I use this for in vehicle navigation)
2. Backup phone of my primary fails for some reason. Just swap the SIM and go
3. Emergency phone for the situation you describe

I also have a more basic one in my gun safe for if I feel I need more bang than my nightstand gun and forget my phone before going into the other room.

#4 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Validating
  • 171 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

Yes, one in each car, in ziplock bag with the charger for that phone, for that car. I explained yesterday to my boys that it was there so that they knew about it.

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

I will be picking up a pre-paid from an alternate network (I use ATT so likely a verizon network prepaid) to keep in my truck with an activation card.  I plan to charge it then just store it basically i figure if for some reason one network is down the other may be up plus it might give me service where my regular phone doesn't I am just waiting until I PCS next month to get one.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

Not a bad idea at all, never even considered it.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#7 hcm004

hcm004

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

You guys may be interested in this, for those of you who are buying dedicated back-up phones:

http://www.spareone.com/

Runs on one AA battery (15 year shelf life), runs on GSM networks, and GPS enabled.

• mangeface likes this

#8 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

You guys may be interested in this, for those of you who are buying dedicated back-up phones:

Runs on one AA battery (15 year shelf life), runs on GSM networks, and GPS enabled.

That's awesome! And $60? I'm thinking I'm going to get one

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#9 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

Mine isn't old, but I ditched Big Red and went no contract a couple months ago with Straight Talk, and for the savings, I couldn't be happier. I'm running an unlocked Nexus 5 from the Play Store. Highly recommended to all.

While I breathe I shall defend.

#10 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

This is awesome although I wish they offered it in CDMA along with GSM.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#11 EODTech256

EODTech256

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNear St. Louis

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

I really like this and might have to pick one up as a back up to the back ups.

OP: I keep a old phone in each of the vehicals with chargers, as well as one in my go pants I keep next to the bed.  That one in the pants is always on and on the charger so if something goes bump in the night I dont have to try and remeber where primary phone is.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." --Thomas Paine, The Crisis, No.
4, 1777

#12 Section13

Section13

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Since I'm in northen europe small Nokia phones are easy to come by. I have a couple of them with pre-paid SIMs scattered around, home, and other places. Smartphones are nice, but they break easily, or suddently you just need a # not associated with your name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users