24 replies to this topic

#1 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

Source: Military.com

The U.S. Army is quietly putting the word out to commands that it is replacing its current Universal Camouflage Pattern with a pattern the service has owned for more than a decade.

The Army's senior leadership has selected Scorpion, a pattern similar to MultiCam that was developed around 2002, according to a source with knowledge of the decision.

Sgt. Major of the Army Raymond Chandler III has been briefing senior sergeants major throughout the Army about the new pattern for the Army Combat Uniform, but details are still limited.

The Army was poised to announce the results of its multi-year camouflage improvement effort nearly a year ago, but congressional language in the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal 2014 called on the Pentagon to put an end to the services branding their ranks with unique camouflage uniforms.

The Army has been considering replacing UCP with Crye Precision's MultiCam -- a pattern that has demonstrated consistent performance in multiple tests and was selected in 2010 for soldiers to wear in Afghanistan.

Army officials even tried to buy the rights to MultiCam but rejected Crye's figure of $25 million, according to Caleb Crye, owner of Crye Precision. Army officials also balked at paying for "printing fees" the company receives on MultiCam -- a small figure that amounts to about one percent of the 20 percent price hike uniform companies want to charge the Army for MultiCam, according to Crye.

In addition to Crye, the other finalists in the Army's Phase IV camouflage testing included ADS Inc., teamed with Hyperstealth, Inc.; Brookwood Companies Inc.; and Kryptek Inc.

And, ironically, in March 2013 the Army decided to drop the fifth finalist -- a government pattern developed at the Army's Natick Soldier Systems Center. The pattern, known as Scorpion, was too similar to one of the industry submissions, Army officials said.

It's similar to MultiCam because Crye developed the pattern with the Army for its Objective Force Warrior program in 2012. He later made small adjustments to the pattern for trademark purposes and called it MultiCam.

The unique blend of greens, browns and tans has been a favorite of Special Operations Command for almost a decade. The Army selected MultiCam in 2010 as the clear winner over several other patterns to issue to soldiers deploying to Afghanistan.

It's unclear when the Army will set a wear-out date for the UCP or start issuing uniforms printed in Scorpion.

Once contracts are awarded, it can take up to 20 weeks for the raw fabric to be printed in Scorpion, inspected and cut and sewn into uniforms, according to Kyli Hanson, program manager for Army Combat Uniforms for Blue Water Defense -- one of the U.S. military's primary uniform manufacturers.

"It's not an instantaneous change," said Hanson, who had not heard of the decision. She did say, however, that since Scorpion is similar to MultiCam, uniform companies will likely be able to use the same color Velcro, buttons and zippers.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

About time, anything is better than ACUs. I'm surprised they didn't just go back to BDUs a long time ago until a proper replacement was found.

Edited by mangeface, 23 May 2014 - 05:23 PM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

Too true, ACU camo never did make sense to me... Though they really should have just gone MultiCam...

Edit: did some light reading this evening and it turns out Scorpion is extremely similar to MultiCam, they were developed by the same folks and if what I am reading is true, they are basically variants of the same theme.

Edited by DeathwatchDoc, 23 May 2014 - 07:36 PM.

89BccLb.png

#4 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

About Fn time. Good call Stevenson. Thanks for the post.

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#5 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

Here is a good article. With all kinds of info and pictures. I like pictures. I'm surfing on my phone so hope this works

http://www.hyperstea...pion/index.html
  • iExpresso and Davis like this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#6 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:49 AM

I hope and pray that the Air Force follows suit. I'm frustrated that it has taken this long and big green wasted so much with the now cancelled camo improvement program, but anything is better than UCP.

While I breathe I shall defend.

#7 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

The reason the Army didn't go with Multicam was because of the trademark restrictions that Crye has.  Crye turned down their initial offer of $25 million for the rights to the pattern and still wanted a printing fee for every uniform... good call US ARMY, though I like Multicam, the trademark free Scorpion-Cam =) is so much better at a 20% price reduction plus the additional savings of not being forced to purchase the brand.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,868 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

I hope and pray that the Air Force follows suit. I'm frustrated that it has taken this long and big green wasted so much with the now cancelled camo improvement program, but anything is better than UCP.

I'm with you there Calico, the blue tiger strip is ridiculous.

#9 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:32 AM

The ACU pattern was just plain nasty. Whoever or whomever authorized ACU for OIF and OEF operations should have their pensions sacked. The new pattern, however, looks great for regular army units.

#10 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

I would have preferred mc, but scorpion is a good 85% solution amd the most logical choice for the army since they fumblefucked their way to failure by hesitating last summer after the camo improvement effort phase 4 winners were announced last summer before ndaa stipulations took effect.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#11 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Dammit now I have to replace the full multi-cam setup I finally managed to purchase just so I a cool kid again.. haha

Anyways Funker530 has a decent article about the change including a comparison between the two camo types:

http://www.funker530...w-camo-pattern/

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#12 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

It's my understanding that the new directive is "one fight, one force, one Camo" with the AF and Navy going to Scorpion as well. Could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure that's what the story was.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#13 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

Well, the Navy just adopted their own pattern a couple of years ago. Essentially it's a faded version of MARPAT in desert and woodland.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#14 bruceleroy

bruceleroy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRocky Mountains

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

All these years, all your money, and we choose a pattern that the Army already owned... Hmmmm. So glad the government knows better than us.

• iExpresso likes this

#15 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

It's my understanding that the new directive is "one fight, one force, one Camo" with the AF and Navy going to Scorpion as well. Could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure that's what the story was.

La'

According to SSD, that was removed.from ndaa in conference. Only stipulation is all patterns used by the mil must have been adopted by DoD prior to Oct 1, 2013. AF will theoretically use this updated OCP for deployments, however.

#16 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

After 10 years, the army finally gets its dignity back

http://soldiersystem...combat-uniform/

#17 Appattack

Appattack

Mate

• Life Member
  • 98 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

So from what I've read, Scorpion isn't as effective in the three main areas of interest (transitional, woodland, desert) as Multicam. Is that everyone else's understanding?

Muster 2, GR Challenges 840/1036, Navigator 006

#18 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Where did you read that? Since scorpion is grandfather of multicam, I wouldnt imagine there would be much of a difference other than maybe in the treeline since theres no vertical bolts to simulate branches

#19 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

Theres also talks of supplementing it with tuned patterns for woodland or desert for specific AORs.

#20 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

I still think we should just compel all branches to utilize true multicam as their primary pattern and be done with it.

• Appattack likes this

89BccLb.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users