• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

I'm a proud owner of a Liger Gun Belt and have been loving it ever since I got it.

http://i.imgur.com/GYTjSt3.jpg?1

The one thing I've been having problems with is having my gear slide around on it. I currently carry a Fenix flashlight in a holster and a key pull, both of which slide around more or less freely on the belt, which can be annoying. My flashlight, pictured above, slides around from 4 'o-clock on my waist to 6 'o-clock on my waist, ie: right on my tailbone. This is no fun for getting into my car and trying to adjust it to pull it back to the side.

What solutions exist for more or less fixing my belt gear (ie: flashlight, leatherman, key-pull, etc.) to a specific place on the belt without adding too much extra equipment? 

#2 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

Im not sure what options there are for a belt like that but my riggers belt that I ran had velcro backing. I added some more velcro to my leatherman/flashlight pouches and problem solved.

Come to think of it crossbreed belts are available with velcro backing.

#3 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

I'd go with Velcro as well. You can get the Velcro dots pretty cheap at an office supply store or target.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#4 TRYG

TRYG

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

If the pouch is a snap over you and your belt is material (or leather that you don't mind getting scuffed) a cheap solution is to stick on a section of grip tape to the belt facing areas of the pouch.

#5 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Im not sure what options there are for a belt like that but my riggers belt that I ran had velcro backing. I added some more velcro to my leatherman/flashlight pouches and problem solved.

Come to think of it crossbreed belts are available with velcro backing.

I'd go with Velcro as well. You can get the Velcro dots pretty cheap at an office supply store or target.

It seems that the common thread of advice given here is to get some strong tape-backed loop material and stick it to the belt, then to do something similar with hook material on the sheaths. Is this what you guys are suggesting?

The belt is coated in polyurethane, so I'm not exactly sure how well things are going to stick to it. Has anyone actually done this and/or had luck with it?

If the pouch is a snap over you and your belt is material (or leather that you don't mind getting scuffed) a cheap solution is to stick on a section of grip tape to the belt facing areas of the pouch.

This is also something I hadn't considered, but the sheaths I'm going to be using are more or less nylon and I don't know that nylon would actually grab tightly onto grip tape and stay in place.

#6 smokey

smokey

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 161 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:58 PM

It seems that the common thread of advice given here is to get some strong tape-backed loop material and stick it to the belt, then to do something similar with hook material on the sheaths. Is this what you guys are suggesting?

The belt is coated in polyurethane, so I'm not exactly sure how well things are going to stick to it. Has anyone actually done this and/or had luck with it?

This is also something I hadn't considered, but the sheaths I'm going to be using are more or less nylon and I don't know that nylon would actually grab tightly onto grip tape and stay in place.

That was my first thought but I just had another.

What if you put some dark rubber band around the belt that would secure the gear between the belt loop and the band? Its not something I have ever tried but if the good ol hook and loop doesnt work maybe try something like that.

#7 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:57 PM

That was my first thought but I just had another.

What if you put some dark rubber band around the belt that would secure the gear between the belt loop and the band? Its not something I have ever tried but if the good ol hook and loop doesnt work maybe try something like that.

I was also considering doing this. I'll investigate if doing this would work satisfactorily. 

#8 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

Look for Velcro brand VHB adhesive velcro. VHB stands for Very High Bond and it uses a petroleum based 3M adhesive. put it on your belt and let it set for ~24 hours. be sure you put it where you want it, because it's not going to move after it's cured. I use it on some of the products we've designed at work and it performs phenomenally.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#9 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Look for Velcro brand VHB adhesive velcro. VHB stands for Very High Bond and it uses a petroleum based 3M adhesive. put it on your belt and let it set for ~24 hours. be sure you put it where you want it, because it's not going to move after it's cured. I use it on some of the products we've designed at work and it performs phenomenally.

La'

Sounds awesome and like it'd be a perfect solution for my problem. Is the actual loop material durable? It's going to be sliding around under belt loops.

#10 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Sounds awesome and like it'd be a perfect solution for my problem. Is the actual loop material durable? It's going to be sliding around under belt loops.

Both the loop and the hook is very durable. i use it all the time.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#11 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 10:09 PM

Having a hard time locating a good place to buy the stuff. Can you link me? I found some on eBay, but it seemed kind of sketchy.

#12 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

here you go

http://www.itapestor...icadhesive.aspx

La'

Posted Image

#13 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Awesome, thanks so much. I think I may have come across that but wasn't originally sure if it was VHB or not.

#14 davebcarr

davebcarr

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:44 PM

My first thought was just using some good old duck time on either side of the sheaths. Theres been a lot of good ideas posted though so whichever works best 

#15 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Awesome, thanks so much. I think I may have come across that but wasn't originally sure if it was VHB or not.

no worries. that's the industrial version of VHB. they don't call it VHB, you have to know the adhesive number.

La'

Posted Image

#16 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

For anyone finding this thread, the VHB Velcro works incredibly well. I've cut 1x1" squares for my belt and they flex perfectly along with the curve of the belt. The bond is extremely tough, and my flashlight doesn't slide at all. I also used some of it to hack a case which had an annoying strap. No more: instant velcro.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations, this one worked out extremely well :)

#17 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

For anyone finding this thread, the VHB Velcro works incredibly well. I've cut 1x1" squares for my belt and they flex perfectly along with the curve of the belt. The bond is extremely tough, and my flashlight doesn't slide at all. I also used some of it to hack a case which had an annoying strap. No more: instant velcro.

Thanks so much for all the recommendations, this one worked out extremely well :)

Glad it worked for you. i can't live without it.

La'

Posted Image

#18 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Now I just need to replace the sheath with a quality Maxpedition one coming soon in the mail.

#19 rfkrocktk

rfkrocktk

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

One last question, how do I remove VHB velcro once I've applied it? I just realized that the Maxpedition sheath is designed to have hook gripping the back of the belt rather than the front. I don't necessarily need to remove it, but it would be nice aesthetically.

I was thinking of using acetone or nail polish remover. Thoughts?

#20 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

I would try Goo Gone, it is works really good on adhesives and is not corrosive or damaging to most finishes. It does leave a bit of an "oily" sheen, but you can clean that up afterword. 

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B00006IBNJ 

You should be able to find it local at like a Home Depot or Wally's World. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users