• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sabb

sabb

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

I ran through the forums quick, looking for anything already posted about K9 buddy aid. I didn't find anything, so here it goes.

Working as a Paramedic in an urban setting, I've come to know several K9 officers and their dogs. Dogs are sent into crawl spaces, give chase, and track through every environment. K9's are just as susceptible to the same injuries we are. Blunt force trauma, penetrating shooting/ stabbing/ impalement), lacerations, burns, environmental etc. are all dangers for dogs, working and otherwise.

K9 aid is taught in some TCCC classes, but not all. And when push comes to shove, if you have the tools might as well get some of the knowledge. I've found this PDF to be hugely informative and helpful. I've had to use the information provided a handful of times for working dogs, as well as dogs pulled from house fires. The basics are great for everyone with a dog in their life to know. The more advanced info is a good introduction to another set of skills to be learned.

http://perrc.org/sit...ld - Gordon.pdf

Obviously, I don't condone practicing any medicine without properly certified and supervised training. 

• CENTCOMSurvivor and Geist like this

#2 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Awesome pdf, thank you for posting this. I'm going to print it out and keep it with my dog's gear.

Edited by Geist, 03 June 2014 - 01:34 PM.

#3 tk_20

tk_20

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 8 posts
  • LocationArlington, Tx

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:54 AM

Thanks, this is an awesome pdf

#4 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Great timing on this, we just did some K9 TCCC training today and this is a great resource to pass along for the students. 

14724870477_7358716dd6_b.jpgK9 TCCC by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

Edited by CENTCOMSurvivor, 13 August 2014 - 05:41 PM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medical, k9

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users