9 replies to this topic

#1 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

So my inner gear whore has deemed it necessary that I procure another hoodie, this one full zip. I've decided it needs to be fully tactical, fyi I am a high speed low drag mail ninja in my downtime. Anyways I want something that is at home in elements (hiking and backpacking), looks good at the range, makes me feel warm and cozy working in the garage or enjoying a beer around the fire, and can pull double duty on quick trips to my local Walmart.

I don't want anything that is too heavy for cool summer nights/mornings, but will still be useful into the fall.

I've been agonizing between a TAD Gear Ranger or Ranger LT, but $200+ is a tough pill when all my extra money goes for baby stuff.

Should I buck up for the TAD? Is there some other options that I should consider?

Help a brother out.

Edited by emBARK, 04 June 2014 - 07:58 AM.

#2 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

An option I've been looking at is the Arcteryx Naga Hoody (it's not full zip though):

http://leaf.arcteryx...odel=Naga-Hoody

Posted Image

#3 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

Check out MilSpec Monkey. He has a couple of different hoodies of different weights.

http://milspecmonkey...tore/21-hoodies

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#4 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

I initially looked at MSM stuff but decided against it. I don't want black or tan/brown/coyote so that cuts out the polartech one. The others have a bit too much cotton for my liking. Being that I intend to use this outdoors is prefer to stay away from cotton. The mite that I look the more I'm starting to realize that I'm just going to have to spend some money. At least if I go TAD at least I'm supporting American made products.

#5 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:29 AM

LAPG has a blackhawk one on closeout for $18. Don't know the details though

#6 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:38 AM

Anyone have experience with the 5.11 Reactor hoodie? It looks decent, however the 6 or 7 reviews on the 5.11 site aren't promising.

#7 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

So no other options for a full zip fleece or similar hoodie, the wifey is OK with opening the pocketbook due to father's day? Is a TAD Ranger or Ranger LT my best choice?

I want something that can do summer nights through late fall afternoons in south western NY.

#8 TRYG

TRYG

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

An option I've been looking at is the Arcteryx Naga Hoody (it's not full zip though):

http://leaf.arcteryx...odel=Naga-Hoody

TAD and and Arc'teryx make great stuff but watch the manufacture origin tags.

"As a worldwide leader in manufacturing, Arc'teryx also utilizes production facilities in several other countries, including America, China, Vietnam, Taiwan and New Zealand."

TAD has gone the China route on some products too.

The fit/size concistency, stitch quality, etc. does not seem to be what they once were in some cases.

#9 HungrySeaGull

HungrySeaGull

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

I own the Naga hoodie, and just purchased the ranger from TAD (non hoodie version)

The naga breaths very well, I wore it for two days of 26 plus hours of travel in my truck, and stayed comfortable, even at rest stops, being outside in temps as low as 50 and as high as 70's I was still comfortable.

Arc'teryx and TAD are two of my very favorite clothing manufactures, they really pay attention to the small details, materials, and fit.

• iExpresso likes this

#10 stoddy9311

stoddy9311

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAlberta Canada

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

http://www.sportsman...shirt?a=1011605

get a Carharrt...love mine, warm as fuck and you will be fighting off pussy with a shitty stick...its like a chick-ter-beam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users