5 replies to this topic

#1 Doc_V

Doc_V

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

I was looking to make a EDC/BOB for my wifes car but trying to figure out what would be a good fit.  Do any of you have any ideas of contents and bag i should use?? Or have any of you done this already?

Who Dares Wins

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Subscribed...I've been thinking the same.

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

I've been working on this as well. Right now she does have basic tools and other supplies related to getting the car home if I cannot get to her, she could definitely hold out for a while and make some basic repairs, but I am working towards adding a survival gear bag for if she needs to abandon the vehicle for whatever reason.

89BccLb.png

#4 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:03 PM

Most of your basic auto repair stuff like jumper cables, fix-a-flat, duct tape, spare tire, etc should be in the car all the time, in a tool box or something to that effect. Out side of those things.... well it's hard to put together a generic list. So first you must ask yourself / your wife a few questions:

1. What scenarios is this bag meant to address? (Break down, active shooter, leaving town in the event of a natural disaster, etc)

2. What is training/ experience level of the primary user of the bag?

3. What distance is this meant to cover?

4. What's the weather like outside? (a modular setup is good for alternating winter and summer gear, also freezing water can rupture it's container)

Scenario and distance are the big factors for driving your gear list. If you live in a fairly urban/suburban area and are never more than 10 miles from civilization, you're likely to need a lot less for a simple breakdown. If you're rural and commute to and from a distant town, you'll need more. Especially if you experience bad weather on the regular.

Another helpful guideline is the rule of 3's. 3 minutes without air - 3 hours without shelter - 3 days without water - 3 weeks without food

There ought to be air if you haven't driven into a lake or river, and the vehicle and clothing qualify as shelter, but you get the idea. 

Now to contradict myself about generic equipment lists, an emergency hand crank usb charger is probably the number one thing I would pack (and need to acquire). Those compact rechargeable battery packs are great but they when needed most they won't be charged. Same with solar, when needed most, it will be dark or cloudy. But with the hand crank you can always get some juice, heck paired with the portable battery packs it's phenomenal. I really need to get some of these things while I'm thinking about it.

• Davis and Doc_V like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#5 Doc_V

Doc_V

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:40 AM

Also the other thing i forgot to add to this is how to incorporate items for kids.... Currently i have an 8 year old girl a 11 month girl and one on the way

Who Dares Wins

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

I was looking to make a EDC/BOB for my wifes car but trying to figure out what would be a good fit. Do any of you have any ideas of contents and bag i should use?? Or have any of you done this already?

Tampons! Tampons! Tampons! they slow the bleeding for the 3-5 day event every 28days and for any trauma from projectile poisoning and or injuries resulting from a traffic collision.
  • Doc_V likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users