5 replies to this topic

#1 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Hey guys, I've been out of the loop for a bit. I moved and had to wait to get the internets hooked up at the new place. But anyway, I did a short review for the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Course from a couple weeks ago.

https://www.youtube....h?v=bxjVWeVHzgg

#2 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info, I've been thinking of taking some of those NRA instructor courses. I suspected they weren't going to be top notch, but like you said they open doors, and are one of the few nationally recognized certifications.

That being said, do you think they are worth the money in terms of insurance and being able to put "NRA certified instructor" by your name?

Edited by spenceman, 10 June 2014 - 08:23 PM.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#3 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

I found a good deal for my BIT class and the Basic Pistol. $175 for both.

With that said, the insurance savings in the first year is 300 bucks. So Financially, it makes sense.
Around here, the local ranges like seeing the NRA certified instructor, and they obviously require insurance. So there's the intangible benefit as well. 

I'm glad I did it, but I don't want to repeat it. Kinda like boot camp :)
Ok, Ok, I'd do boot camp again.

Their one sticking point is that you cant tout yourself as NRA certified if you are advertising non NRA classes. But I did slap it on my business card. But if it were a flyer for "Tremis' pistolero training" I couldn't throw the NRA Instructor logo on it.

On a side note, it gives you access to stuff like Brownells good guy pricing and Promotive.com if you don't already qualify for those.

#4 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I found a good deal for my BIT class and the Basic Pistol. $175 for both.

With that said, the insurance savings in the first year is 300 bucks. So Financially, it makes sense.
Around here, the local ranges like seeing the NRA certified instructor, and they obviously require insurance. So there's the intangible benefit as well. 

I'm glad I did it, but I don't want to repeat it. Kinda like boot camp :)
Ok, Ok, I'd do boot camp again.

Their one sticking point is that you cant tout yourself as NRA certified if you are advertising non NRA classes. But I did slap it on my business card. But if it were a flyer for "Tremis' pistolero training" I couldn't throw the NRA Instructor logo on it.

On a side note, it gives you access to stuff like Brownells good guy pricing and Promotive.com if you don't already qualify for those.

Seems worth the cost based on the discounts alone. Class would pay for itself in no time.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#5 tremis

tremis

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 120 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:57 PM

One caveat......I have seen the instructor classes up in the $450+ range. It pays to shop around.

#6 RKlenka

RKlenka

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 70 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, Texas

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

I have been a NRA instructor in multiple disciplines for many years now. Its also now a requirement for being a TX CHL instructor.

As for the classes themselves they are very bare boned minimal stuff, but they do look good on your 'resume' since its a well known name. It does come with some good discounts and discounted insurance (that covers you on any firearms based course not just NRA ones, but not knife or combatives :P ). If your familiar with the topic then you really wont learn anything new going in. Also if you are coming from a more combative/fighting/defensive mindset you might disagree with some of the things (you cant call it a weapon). Also they are now actually going to reenforce the requirement of having to teach the course once a year plus any renewal stuff they wish to add. When before they didn't care so much as long as you paid on time. Which is a understandable requirement.

But if it were a flyer for "Tremis' pistolero training" I couldn't throw the NRA Instructor logo on it.

True, but that's because it will look like a NRA course. You would be fine if you put somewhere in the "About the instructor" sections, "blah blah blah...Tremis is a NRA certified instructor in blah blah blah...." business cards should be fine because its describing you and what you offer (nra courses, etc) and not a specific course.

But yes, its worth it, just hope you don't get a boring, reads from the power point instructor, and don't expect to learn anything new or exciting, and shop around for a good deal. If after 25 class (or total students, i forget) you can apply to be a counselor and teach instructor courses.

• tremis likes this
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Instructor, ACT Instructor, ALIVE! Combatives Instructor, Systema Instructor, American Ninjutsu Instructor, CTCTG Instructor/Facilitator, blah blah blah and so on.
http://www.fortworthcombatives.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nra, pistol, instructor, tremis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users