Photo

Otis CQB cleaning kits. Who has them? Do you like them?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:43 AM

I am a new member here and I have read alot about primary weapons, kit load out , secodaries but one of the things I have learned in the military is when you dont maintain you're weapons and have them in fighting condition all that gear is going to be getting a new owner!  I want to see what guys are using to maintain there weapons.

#2 LuckyGunner Ammo

LuckyGunner Ammo

Landlubber

• ITS Sponsor
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:09 AM

I haven't used the Otis kits.  I have an ammo can full of cleaning gear that I've bought individually and in sets.         6.8 SPC Ammo

#3 Jackel

Jackel

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

90% of my firearms can be cleaned and maintained with a small jar of Hoppes #9, some q-tips, a bore snake and a small bottle of extreme weapons lube.  I also keep a small tube of high end Teflon grease on hand, because I find that the rails on my 1911's get dry from riding vertical in the holster.  I can keep all of my cleaning stuff in my 5.11 pull bag that I take with me whenever I practice at the range.  The only other cleaning tool I use is a tico tool for my shotguns, but of course a bore snake would work for them too.  The bore snake is the best cleaning tool ever.

#4 papaswamp

papaswamp

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:27 AM

Or you could buy the old GI cleaning kit for ~$15 and add the other items (except the Gerber tool) for probably a total of $20-$30…instead of around $80 (which is mostly the Gerber tool). Might want to consider the Leatherman MUT or the Gerber eFect which are more firearms (AR15/M16) specific (of course then the cost goes way up since they ain't cheap).I do have a few of the compact Otis kits. they are ok, but I find after a year the internal foam that holds the bore brush, cleaning jag, etc.. tends to deteriorate and stops holding items in place.

Edited by papaswamp, 16 September 2010 - 07:30 AM.

#5 John4

John4

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:57 PM

I have a Otis CQB kit. I like it a lot, it has a lot of different cleaning tools in it. But that's easy to say when I paid a little over $40 on eBay for a brand new one. I agree with everyone else though, I have a huge cleaning box full of little and big cleaning tools that I have collected over the years. The CQB adds nice value to my whole "system". I say get it if you can find a good buy, if not buy small kits and find out what works best for you.

#6 Wardy

Wardy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

I have the Carbine and Pistol Kit and love it but I still bring my Bore Snake and small parts brush.  the kit works well wether I use the Otis swobs or the issued ones and the CLP/Bore Cleaner are fine but you run out if you're out for any length of time.  I like it.
There will always be someone stronger, faster or smarter.  So you better be truly cunning and evil /wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.pngLearn from Experience and Those with it.

#7 Kenny

Kenny

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts
  • LocationWatauga, TX

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:31 AM

I have the pistol cleaning kit and I really like it. Although, the patches seem a little small for my M&P .45, so sometimes I wrap a patch around one of their nylon bore brushes that I picked up separately. I keep the kit in my range bag, but I also have a Gerber Multi-Plier, all purpose brushes, wooden stick q-tips, a Norton's UCS (Universal Cleaning Stick) from CountyComm (I haven't had a chance to use it, though) and larger bottle of CLP for serious cleaning. I am, however kinda interested in trying a bore snake.  I'm still in the planning phase of an AR, so I'm wondering how the cable system of an Otis kit compares to traditional cleaning rods.
Posted Image

"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful. Semper Erectus - Always Hard"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users