#1 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Team,

I've been promising this review since the epic hijack of my car bag thread. When i was reworking my car bag i decided to pickup a new knife to replace the cheap folder i had originally. I was looking for something durable, reliable, and cheap just in case it got lost or damaged while on the road. i had considered Gerber, but i've had issues with some of their knives. Benchmade was too expensive. Based on the Kershaw love i've seen on ITS i decided to see if they had something that would work. A quick trip to Amazon.com found the model 1990 Brawler.

Basic Specs are:

• Steel: 8Cr13MoV, Black oxide coating
  • Handle: Glass-filled nylon
  • Blade Length: 3 1/4 inches; Closed Length: 4 1/8 inches
  • Quad carry pocket clip
  • Speed safe and flipper opening systems; Liner lock locking system

I had two reservations about this knife. One, it didn't have a combi-edge blade. i like partial serrations because i find myself cutting heavy rope and cord quite a bit and the Combi-edge comes in handy. my second reservation was it was an "Assisted Open" knife. Most of the assisted open knives i've worked with either underwhelmed me or just didn't work. the assist spring wasn't strong enough to open the blade effectively or the finger paddle is too big and bulky and affected how the knife is carried.

When i received the knife i was surprised that neither of these were an issue. the blade is razor sharp and has cut thru bailing twine and 550 cord with ease. The spring assist is crisp and immediate, with the finger paddle being just a small nub that doesn't get caught on pants pockets and acts as a nice finger guard when the blade is deployed. 

SDC10495.JPG

Closed

SDC10498.JPG

Open

SDC10499.JPG

In Hand

The only bad thing about this knife is the pocket clip. It is woefully small and very stiff. i need to use two hands to get it clipped on the pocket of my car bag or my pocket. i might have a new one made at the shop at work.

SDC10502.JPG

The price couldn't be beat as well. it was ~$22,00 at Amazon with Prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.co...=kershaw knives

All in all, i am very happy with the knife and would buy it again, especially if i could find it in combi-edge.

Thanks to ITS for the advice.

La'

• mangeface likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:02 AM

Nice looking knife, and a good review... thank you.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

I was given a brawler a year or so ago. I'll say this if you are only using it for a light use edc it's decent. I personally HATE tanto blades but that's me. For the price it's a good deal especially the combo they had at China-mart with a led light and tactical pen for 20 bucks. The knife felt too box like to me in hand.

#4 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

Nice knife and I dig the tanto style blades.

Appreciate the review as well.

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#5 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

Thanks guys.

it's funny how particular guys are about their knives, especialy if they use them a lot. I've got a friend who refuses to by Tanto blades, partial serations, or black oxide coated knives.

Personaly I really like Tanto knives. I like the thick blade cross section and strength of the tip. I also like combi-edge knives and will buy those over straight edge if the opprotunity is there. i'm 50/50 on coated blades.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#6 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

Exactly. Tanto blades have their merits. They make for a very strong blade especially at the tip obviously. The reason I dislike then is there is no belly to the blade. Now as far as a combo edge goes I personally like a full plain edge vs a combination. I like a serrated blade for many applications on the job as well but prefer a fully serrated blade in those applications. One of my all-time favorite work knives is my spyderco dyad ( 2 locking blades a vg10 ffg plain edge and a full spyder edge on the other) .

#7 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

Great review! I've seen this folding knife a few times while attempting to scavenge for ammunition at my local Wal-Mart. Can never go wrong with a Kershaw implement as a backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users