• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Maverick9110e

Maverick9110e

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

This is the one i have: Gerber Suspension multitool, you can find them from 27-40 bucks dependng where you buy.  I like it, it has everything i need, my only gripe is that ALL the tools Lock when you use them and their a PITA to unlock to put away, that leatherman wave seems saweet. 

#22 Irishmanlost

Irishmanlost

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 02:27 AM

The Swisstool Spirit by Victorinox is great, has a good variety of tools and weighs under 6 ounces so you wont be weighed down too much by it. It comes with a leather sheath which is closed using velcro. Overall it's a pretty good multitool
"The More you sweat in Peace, The less you bleed in war"- Inscription above the entrance to the Navy SEAL Training Center   "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm."- George Orwell

#23 Foxbatt

Foxbatt

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBedford Texas

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

i carry the leatherman wave with me every where i go. its got everything on it i need on a day to day basis. Not ot mention not haveing to open it up just to get to a blade is a beautiful thing. Ive had mine for about 3 years now. havent found anything else i would want to replace it with.
 Good…Bad….Ugly….Im the guy with the spoon Posted Image

#24 ShadowForce1984

ShadowForce1984

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

Leatherman Wave. Great little multi-tool.

#25 BadMaster102

BadMaster102

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

I carry a leatherman wave at work, I don't remember how much it cost but it couldn't have been more than 60.00.  Whatever you do don't buy a "cheapy".  If you ever actually need it for a seriously situation,which you must be preparing for otherwise you wouldn't be considering one, you need it to be strong and sharp.  In my opinion, your better off saving for a good one.

#26 readyme

readyme

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

I carried a SOG Powerlock for a few years, but recently upgraded to a Leatherman Charge TTi.  The Charge has access to multiple tools without opening the pliers, which is much easier and faster to do.  Also, it comes with a detachable pocket clip so you can carry it like your knife.

#27 TxSoldier

TxSoldier

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

I'm another +1 for the Leatherman Wave.  I carried it in Iraq with me, and now keep it in my patrol bag.  It's been used and abused and never failed me.  Love it.

#28 Hm Cowboy

Hm Cowboy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

Used to carry a Leatherman Wave. Lost it when I was drunk and used it to demolish some roadsigns. Got a Gerber for free from Hesco Barriers, but never could get used to it. It was a Diesel version. Bought myself a Leatherman MUT, really love it. A big tool, but it fits me right. ( I'm a big guy, 215 lbs and 6.6)

#29 RobTheBlob

RobTheBlob

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hm Cowboy said:

Used to carry a Leatherman Wave. Lost it when I was drunk and used it to demolish some roadsigns. Got a Gerber for free from Hesco Barriers, but never could get used to it. It was a Diesel version. Bought myself a Leatherman MUT, really love it. A big tool, but it fits me right. ( I'm a big guy, 215 lbs and 6.6)

Sucks to hear about your Leatherman Wave, I have one myself. How do you like the MUT?
"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."

#30 wwade63

wwade63

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

I've used lots of different tools over the years, the original Leatherman, Gerber, Swiss etc.  I too have been using the Leatherman Wave for about 10 years now.  I recently purchased a MUT.  While it has a good number of gadgets, it is very much geared towards the AR platform.  I prefer my Wave as an EDC tool and keep the MUT with my range kit.  There just isn't that much that the MUT can do that I can't accomplish with the Wave.  If you are looking for good range tool to work on your AR with, or you can only carry one tool on your load out kit, go with the MUT.  But for everyday use, I'll stick with my Wave.
Posted Image

#31 Hm Cowboy

Hm Cowboy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

I like the MUT. It's very robust, altough I did broke the replaceble plyer on a piece of barbwire. But, as said, it's replaceble so I did. The dedicated gadgets for the AR or in my case, the colt are very usefull. But wwade is right, for EDC the Wave will do. For myself, I prefer the MUT.

#32 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:54 AM

I use the Gerber Suspension. It's been a great tool and it was cheap. I don't really use a multi tool that often so this works great for me! Posted Image" alt="" /> Posted Image" alt="" />
Posted Image

#33 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 947 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:38 AM

Guys, make sure to check out our facebook page for a killer giveaway of a MultiTasker tool. Good luck gals n' gents!Plus you get to like Costa's facebook page,,, you might just feel his wiskers through your keyboard when you do it /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf_headbang.gif
Posted Image

#34 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 346 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:13 AM

CENTCOMSurvivor said:

Plus you get to like Costa's facebook page,,, you might just feel his wiskers through your keyboard when you do it /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf_headbang.gif

I tried to like his page, but it told me I didn't have enough facial hair...../wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_frown.gif
Posted Image

#35 elfboy26

elfboy26

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:14 AM

Gerber Suspension here too.  Can't beat it for the price.

#36 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:49 AM

I'm now rocking a Leatherman Juice S2 in flame orange. I had decided to get a Leatherman Charge but figured $40 for the Juice was much better than $140 for the Charge (in Cabelas Seclusion 3D camo, $130 regular). Chris

#37 Packetknife

Packetknife

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

I need to replace my SOG and was looking at the Leatherman MUT (perhaps - not likely - the MUT EOD). Any more time-tested comments to add to the mix? Durability or maintenance issues of note? Thanks, -Pk

#38 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

I see a few  who seem to want EOD tools on their Multi-tools, I advise against it. Unless you crimp blasting caps, or prime into C-4 on the regular, those two tools (crimpers and punch) are just a loss of functionality for you, especially in the case of the Gerber or Leatherman. I've had and lost/broken several EOD Gerbers, they are ok tools, but despite using the crimpers regularly I find them to be very irritating when I just needed a regular set of pliers.  I haven't bothered using other brands because the gerber was issued and didn't cost me a dime, but I will say they aren't so great, I broke one of the jaws off in afghanistan, and all the smaller tools are quite brittle as well.  The SOG series isn't so bad because the crimpers don't interfere with the function of regular pliers, but the 1st generation crimpers seemed way out of spec.
  • jvandivere likes this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#39 Packetknife

Packetknife

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Agree - the EOD itself wouldn't be enough for my use so I'd have to carry a small bit of other gear. No reason to conflate those two needs. Thanks, -Pk

#40 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

I have no experience with EOD tools on multi's, but the only thing I can think of that could possibly be useful would be a C4 punch re-purposed as an awl for rope work. However, purpose-built awls generally have a much thinner profile tip and are curved (at least the ones I've seen). Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users