• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 GenWang

GenWang

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

I have used most if not all mentioned tools. I keep going back to the Gerber Legend.

#42 slvrwraith

slvrwraith

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Anyone have experience with the Leatherman Surge? I loved my LM Wave, carried it religiously and used it more than daily until I lost it last summer... I'm wanting something that is even more versatile, and capable, and aam thinking the latest iteration of the Surge may fit the bill.
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png In darkness as in light, seek truth and flourish. --myselfA casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. --Friedrich Nietzsche

#43 Demondawg13

Demondawg13

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

I've been using a SOG multi tool for a couple years and I love. It stands up to anything and while the price is a little more than some, it is well worth it in my opinion. I got my first SOG knife almost 10 years ago and I still have it and use it. Plus, if you are lucky enough to live close to SOG in Lynnwood, they will sharpen and even replace your blades for free.
Sheepdogs: Alert, vigilant, not aggressive but prepared to do battle.

#44 Phish

Phish

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 54 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

i have been carrying a Gerber 400 Multi-Pleirs for about 15 years, not one complaint ,tough as hell, and its a compact as well !
Posted Image

#45 ramos714

ramos714

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

I carry the Leatherman MUT and a variety of the other less expensive leathermans and have had no problems.

#46 SONCanEDC

SONCanEDC

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthern ontario canada

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

As in life and with woman,what you invest into is what you get out.That said spend the few extra dollars for the Sog Powerlock EOD I said and it did not disappoint.Lots of tools and if that compound leverage hand pressure saving design can eat nickel and dimes and quarters all day it'll take any demo or wire job I give it.P.S it loves to eat chain like fence lol.

Attached Files

#47 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Did you use the actual pliers or the wire cutter to cut those coins in half? I once saw an online demo with some dude snapping pennies in half with his SOG PowerAssist B-66N wire cutter. But when I personally tried with pennies, my identical SOG multitool actually snapped in half instead and had to be sent in to be repaired. I no longer have it, but I never really liked the thing anyways. I remember a few days after purchasing it, the thumb studs on both assisted blades loosed and fell off, the safety lock on the serrated blade didn't really "lock", and the entire accessory key lock system was a real pain in the ass to manipulate when you wanted to retract a tool.

#48 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Of all the multi tools I've used I have to say my victorinox swiss spirit x has been my favorite. I like the back springs for each individual blade a lot. It's the most comfortable in the hand I've ever used and the fit and finish is top notch. The cutters aren't as powerful as the compound leverage design of sog, but hold their own. At my job I have to cut steel wire to secure displays on shelves quite often and also cut thick wire that we use to make large cardboard bales and after 2 years use they have held up quite well. Good piece of gear at a good price.

#49 SONCanEDC

SONCanEDC

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthern ontario canada

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

In response to Beaucoup VC,I used the wire cutter portion.The nickel took a little extra grip to get thru but with the compound leverage in the design it defeated the coin.I am sorry to hear your unit didn't meet your expectation,I am curious was it the Powerlock EOD 2.0 v-cutter or the model you mentioned?I also find the the power lock paddles a bit of a pain in ass,but that seems to be my only con to the many pros I have with this tool.Included in this post is some macro shots of the design of the multiple pivot points that multiply hand strength needed to complete tasks.I hope this helps out in the info exchange that makes this forum awesome.

Attached Files

#50 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

I use a SOG power lock as well and love it.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#51 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

I used the original leatherman tool for a number of years, but i didn't like the way the sides bit into my hand when I was exerting pressure with the pliers.

I currently carry a Schrade Tough Tool in my kit and love it. i've had it for 15ish years and it hasn't failed me yet

http://taylorbrandsllc.com/collections/schrade/products/schrade-tough-tool-21-function-multi-tool

La'

Edited by redsol1, 08 April 2014 - 08:14 PM.

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#52 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

let's try this again

1291755921_144830369_1-Pictures-of--Schr

Edited by redsol1, 08 April 2014 - 08:27 PM.

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#53 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:34 AM

Man those were good tools before Taylor brands took over when Schrade went under. I had one, in fact it was my first multi tool. I ended up giving it to my brother in law after I got a bucktool. I wish I still had the tough tool he lost it a few months later on a deer hunt. That heat treat Schrade used on their steel was pretty damn good.

#54 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

Man those were good tools before Taylor brands took over when Schrade went under. I had one, in fact it was my first multi tool. I ended up giving it to my brother in law after I got a bucktool. I wish I still had the tough tool he lost it a few months later on a deer hunt. That heat treat Schrade used on their steel was pretty damn good.

I Love my Tough Tool. The only thing i see about mine and the one above is mine doesn't have the scissors, but it did have a hella scary serrated blade and the other knife blade has a combi edge.

Posted Image

#55 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Unfortunately even though the design is essentially the same the steel they use, the quality control, and heat treat is nowhere near the standard they were when imperial Schrade was in business. Schrade and Camillus were major losses to the blade world. Camillus made carbon v for cold steel back when cold steel was a lot better than they are now

#56 Joemetro

Joemetro

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

Leatherman with pocket clip thats what i have.

Attached Files

#57 AKFiremedic

AKFiremedic

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

This summer I bought the Leatherman Sidekick. It is a smaller body with a few less tools. It works great for me most of the time. It came with the traditional belt pouch, but it also has a pocket clip. I tend to use both depending on what I'm doing. One of the biggest thing I like about it, is the fact that the pliers are spring assisted, so they will open up when you take your hand off of them. No more breaking your grip to open the pliers.   

CrewLeaderSignature_zps95b560b9.png

#58 SIG383

SIG383

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMiddle East

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:12 AM

I have several but I currently carry on my person is a Leatherman Wave.  On my armor is a M.U.T. so I know it's always there when I have my M4.  When home, the M.U.T. stays in my range bag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users