29 replies to this topic

#1 AggieSheepdog

AggieSheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas.

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

I'd like to hear from people especially LEOs on what people carry daily off duty or as a back up gun. I have a Kahr PM40 but am tired of it. Too much in too small a package. Kills my hand shooting it and you need a super firm grip in order for it to cycle cleanly. I'm looking at a Glock 42 but worry about a .380's stopping power. A Glock 26 seems too bulky for carrying when casually dressed. Thoughts?
Protect the flock. Confront the wolf.

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

I carry a Glock 19 Gen4. I don't have any issues with it. Casual dress for me is jeans and a t shirt or button up. I carry with the barrel lined up right behind my wallet so it's less noticeable.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#3 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

I carry either a Glock 19 or 26 appendix carry with just a tshirt or short sleeve button up with no worries.  Non leo here

Posted Image

#4 SacRyan

SacRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Kimber Ultra Stainless II in a SuperTuck.

Qd3OG01.png

Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.

#5 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

Currently my carry pistol is a Glock 26.  I would skip the Glock 42 honestly as they have said that sometime this fall they will be releasing a single stack subcompact 9mm which is what the 42 should have been that is the pistol I would look at if you really want to go small.  That being said the Glock 26 conceals fairly well in relatively casual clothes for me at least. 

• Psybain and Davis like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#6 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:43 AM

What day is it!?!

Seriously, on my off days I'm mostly wearing worn out swimtrunks and flip flops, or dressed up. When I have pants or shorts on that have a belt and a shirt that will NOT be tucked in I wear a Glock 19 IWB at about "5 O'clock." If I'm wearing my normal day off clothes of swimtrunk type shorts with no belt I'll carry my J-frame in the front right pocket. If Im wearing dress pants, or clothing that I must have a shirt tucked in I carry a walther PPK in the front right pocket.

You have to dress around the gun I think, so there is no magic pistol to carry. I do find myself tossing the J-frame in my pocket when I have those 'just gonna run up to the store" moments and really don't want to carry a gun, but know I should.

I have no problem trading my .45 in for a .380 for carry. I also do not buy into that whole "look how many people die from the .22lr every year!" or the "you better hit something important with that for it to work!" arguments. Unless the guy is jacked up on some serious drugs, the .380 is going to be fine. If he is hopped up on drugs, even the great 45 isn't gonna be much more help. I've drew a CCW three times, and I've never fired a shot (I tried one time!) the mere introduction ended the situation and the guy who was wearing a pistol and threatening which caused me to draw out initially turned tail. But as always, be ready to use it, or don't bother even pulling it.

• Davis likes this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#7 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

I carry a M&P 9 Full Size at my 4, will swap for a Walther PPS when I really need to go low profile. I love Comptac MTAC gear for holsters, very comfortable to wear all day long and reasonably tuck able.

89BccLb.png

#8 AggieSheepdog

AggieSheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Psycho-I'm in the same boat. When I'm casual it's usually gym shorts and a t shirt. I worry a bigger Glock will start pulling my damn shorts down!

#9 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

Psycho-I'm in the same boat. When I'm casual it's usually gym shorts and a t shirt. I worry a bigger Glock will start pulling my damn shorts down!

Thats why I use a holster my wife made, it's very similar to the Thunderwear or SmartCarry.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#10 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

I would definitly say it may be worth looking into changing the dress a bit even if its just to shorts you can belt or something of that nature a big part of concealment is proper clothing selection.

#11 AggieSheepdog

AggieSheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

"they have said that sometime this fall they will be releasing a single stack subcompact 9mm" where'd you read this? I can wait if true.

#12 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

"they have said that sometime this fall they will be releasing a single stack subcompact 9mm" where'd you read this? I can wait if true.

No clue could have sworn someone said it was going to happen but now that I am researching it I haven't found anything specific.  Maybe it was just wistful thinking :-(

#13 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

I run a S&W M&P .40 full size at work.  So I went with a M&P compact .40 for my primary off-duty carry.  I've tried a handful of different holster options over the years and keep coming back to my Crossbreed SuperTuck IWB.  I'm always carrying at about 4 o'clock position.  I'm generally a jeans and t-shirt guy.  I will carry off-body in my Vertx Gamut backpack when I'm in any sort of clothing that won't sustain IWB carry.

I'm not an ammo/ballistics nut, so I'm not going to be able to speak to the stopping power of one round versus another.  I simply chose my off-duty carry to mirror my duty carry as closely as possible.  If I was carrying a glock at work, my primary off-duty would be a smaller glock.  I'm a simpleton, so whatever normalcy I can provide for my pea-brain is a good thing.

I had also tried a few smaller carry options, i.e. Kahr PM series, S&W Shield's.  They just weren't much smaller or more concealable for my style of dress than my M&P .40 Compact.  I'd looked into a some of the .380 options and ultimately decided that the frame size and trigger pull were a bit too much of a departure from the norm for me.  Again, I'm a bit slow.  They may be a better option for you.  I have considered them as a back-up gun for on-duty carry as a last-ditch effort (my M&P compact is far to big for such a role).  But I haven't taken the leap yet.

• mangeface likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#14 nroeber78

nroeber78

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

While i'm not a LEO I did want to say that I completely agree with what PsychoFish had to say. My main gun to carry is a G21 /w light in a Raven IWB - some tshirts i can conceal it fine others I cant ... when I'm not able to dress around the G21 my next option is a S&W M&P 45c in a comp-tac rig - 0 issues with concealment. If i'm running to the corner store or making a quick run to the grocery store even on the mountain biking trail my J-frame is with me...

#15 AggieSheepdog

AggieSheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

After doing lots of research, reading blogs, asking co-workers, and anyone knowledgeable, i've come no closer to an answer. I think its all personal choice. I carry a Glock 22 w/ custom grip, magwell, beavertail, & stream light at work. Like SWAT, i don't like different trigger pulls for my pistols (K.I.S.S.). Since I haven't had much time w/ either i'm gonna get range time this weekend w/ a 19 and 42 and make the decision then. 

#16 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

I was down at Glockmeister (a large all glock dealer here in AZ) a few days ago looking at the G42 and asked them about a 9mm single stack and they said from what their factory reps were saying that Glock should be releasing a single stack compact 9mm most likely at the next shot show (20 Jan 2015).

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#17 AggieSheepdog

AggieSheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

damnit. don't tell me that. now I have to decide if I want to wait 

#18 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

I do that to myself sometimes... But there's always another new product at another show. If you're always waiting, you're never enjoying... Also the best gun in the world is the one you have with you when you need it.
  • SwatDawg335, AaronK, Davis and 1 other like this

89BccLb.png

#19 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

^ What he said!

Aggie, Doc is spot on. If your current carry gun is not functional or working for you, especially if it is to the point that you would rather not carry it, than get something that does work for you and do it soon. There will always be something better to come along, and when it does you can get it then. I carry a Glock 23 (soon to be a G19) for EDC and it is easy to conceal, I just have to dress around the gun. So I'm sure you would be able to carry a G26 if you just plan to dress around it a little. 

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#20 AggieSheepdog

AggieSheepdog

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

The Dress around the Gun concept is something I'm having to address. But summer is the best 10 months of the year here in Houston and especially now in the middle of July, I want nothing more then shorts and a t-shirt. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users