#1 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Team,

After the success of my car bag post (not to mention the success of the epic hijack) I thought i'd post about my EDC first aid kit. As i've mentioned before, one of my work duties is to conduct product demonstrations and training events all over the country. Sometimes i run these events solo, and sometimes I'm part of a team. I started carrying this to support my team and provide a small amount of relief from the small injuries that almost always happens, while having some supplies to treat larger injuries. I do not have an IFAK or trauma kit in this kit, but it is something i'm going to add. I guess you could call this an "Enhanced Snivel Kit". Some of the items may seem odd, and i'll give you my reasoning or history that made me carry the item after the description.

The Kit lives in a Maxpedition Fr-1 pouch attached to my Hazard-4 sling bag that acts as my daily carry/briefcase.

SDC10503.JPG

Note the ITS first aid patch

SDC10504.JPG

Here is the total load

SDC10505.JPG

First Row

SDC10506.JPG

Small Tip Tweezers

5" Hemostats - I find these better for removing large splinters and metal shards than the tweezers

Small LED flashlight

A butt load of alcohol wipes - these and the band-aids are probably the most used items in my kit

AirBorne Tablets - very helpful after tearing down in the rain or other situations that are hard on the immune system

Curad Colloidal Silver Gel - I'm allergic to most over the counter wound solutions (neomycin, bactricin, polymycin Ect). This stuff is great. wounds heal very fast with minimal scaring

Small roll of gauze

Second Row

SDC10507.JPG

Butterfly closures

precut first aid tape strips

3 sheets of moleskin

Gauze pads

Buttload of various band aids - again, one of the most often used items

Third Row

SDC10509.JPG

Med Tape - I usually use this for finger wounds and splits rather than band aids

Benadryl - Ran a demo with a kid from our warehouse. we went to a hibachi place for lunch before we set up. kid ordered salmon, but didn't realize they were cooked on the grille with the shrimp and the kid was allergic to shellfish. his reaction was mild and it didn't take him out, but he could have used some benadryl.

Imodium AD - Nothing worse than an 8 hour drive to Redstone Arsenal where you have to stop every 30min. Nuff said

Aleave - The only thing that takes care of my head ache/neck spasms.

Nasal Deconjestant

Fifth Row

SDC10510.JPG

Iodine Prep Pads

Electrolyte Tablets - I'm the water nazi when we work in desert climates, but i can't always see everyone.

Gloves

Antiseptic Cleaning wipes - No sting formula for some of my lady teammates

Germicidal cloths - Sometimes we bleed, and sometimes we bleed on the gear.

items to add

I've got a couple of items i'd like to add.

Trauma Kit

Med shears

small bottle of optical saline

Thoughts? additions? Hijacks?

La'

• iExpresso, mangeface, Davis and 3 others like this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#2 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

I have so many different medical bags that it'd take quite awhile to put together a post with the level of detail you just did.

Challenge accepted.

• mangeface and Davis like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#3 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

How often do you get to redstone? That's like 10 minutes from my house.

89BccLb.png

#4 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

How often do you get to redstone? That's like 10 minutes from my house.

Depends. I was down there 4 times last year. hopefully i'll be there sometime in August doing a demo for one of the vehicle programs.

One of my best road stories is about trying to get out of Redstone and back to Va in January of last year when you guys had that epic ice storm. We left the test range at 1100, made it to the Alabama side of Knoxville at 1600, by 2000 we hadn't made it more than 1/2 way thru Knoxville. We ended up hunkering down at a hotel and riding out the storm till the next day. I was in a Chevy 3500 diesel pulling our version of an LTT with a 35kW genset and an 8 ton (Capacity, not weight) HVAC unit. i've never gotten out of a truck shaking, but i did that night.

La'

• DeathwatchDoc likes this
Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
Posted Image

#5 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

That really was pretty bad. We don't know how to cope with snow in this area. I mean bubba only has the one plow.

Edited by DeathwatchDoc, 27 July 2014 - 07:54 PM.

• Jersey0311 likes this

89BccLb.png

#6 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

That really was pretty bad. We don't know how to cope with snow in this area. I mean bubba only has the one plow.

There were at least 10 cars off the road on Rt-72 alone. once I got off 72 it was hit and miss till Knoxville. it started snowing and didn't stop. Truckers were pulling off the road and shutting everything down. It took us 4 hours to make it halfway thru Knoxville. At one point i was setting still, and my truck started sliding off the road with the trailer jack-knifing. i had to quickly put it in 4WD and counter steer back onto the road.

This years screwed up winter travel story was me getting out of JAX in January durring the bad ice storm that went thru Fayetnam and Raleigh.

La'

Posted Image

#7 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

Perhaps the only benefit to living in the Northeast is learning to drive in winter weather, with our damned Nor'Easters and all.

• redsol1 likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users