Photo

Face Mask + Helmet + Precision Rifle Mounting Question...??

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Back round information:

This is a NON-military (civilian) application (most likely to be preparing for pandemic)

I have a Lightweight Marine Corps Helmet 

Question: I want to buy some face masks (Half Face and/or Full Face) what do I need to know about what style face mask to buy so as it will not conflict with helmet or proper mounting of most firearms........????

Thank you.

#2 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

What face masks are you referencing? I'd have to imagine most full face masks would interfere with a proper cheek weld regardless.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#3 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOn a Mountain, at the end of a logging trail, next too the creek, in a shack, on the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Nothing specific........Just looking to make 2 out of the 3 work at the same time. 

#4 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

mask_zpsb533bd9a.jpg

Does this answer your question? You are ideally going to want a rifle that has an adjustable comb as you will need to lower it to make things easier to work with the gas mask.  This particular mask runs a single cartridge on the left side making it easier to get a cheek weld especially with the adjustable comb.  It isn't comfortable it isn't much fun but its doable. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#5 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:04 PM

Um... why do you want to wear a face mask?

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#6 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Um... why do you want to wear a face mask?

I don't haha I believe the OP's reasoning is preparation for a pandemic I just figured I would do what I could to answer his question. 

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#7 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

Mask and gun will always suck, it's never going to be the perfect cheek weld you want.

Be aware that not all gas mask filters are rated for biological threats, and you will need to protect more than just your airway. Some disease can move through skin on contact. Ebola for example is not airborne (yet, though it does have the genetic capacity), but readily spreads with contact involving sweat, blood, tears, seminal flood, and saliva. So if pandemic prep is your goal, don't stop at the mask being the only required PPE.
  • Psybain likes this

89BccLb.png

#8 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

Unless you're in one of the one urban areas in Alaska you should probably invest in bug dope over a gas mask. If humans are the main vector during a pandemic, just avoid contact with them and their bodily fluids, not too hard in most of your great state. Avoiding contact, taking your vitamins (i.e. maintaining good health through fitness & nutrition), and washing your hands are typically more helpful than a mask. That being said you guys have an indescribable amount of mosquitoes up there, and they would be a much larger threat than getting coughed on in a pandemic situation. If you're just out to spend money get a couple Tyvek or Tychem suits, heavy duty rubber gloves, and rubber over boots and some pool shock/ or household bleach for decontamination.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

#9 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

it annoys me, then even when I run a helmet, the strap and buckles always play havoc with my cheek weld.   Toss on a gas mask and its a straight pain. In all honesty, only thing you can really do is practice.  Your stance and hold will change completely.  At the end of the day, practice will make comfortable and it work.

Example from me personally is when I needed to carry a mask in case gas was used and I needed run a long gun.  I held more to sternum and kicked the butt stock out a click or 2  (I normally run my all the way down, when I have armor on)  There was no cheek weld, it was all hands and shoulder.  

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#10 Sourdough

Sourdough

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback. The advise is as I expected.......................and feared.

#11 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

it annoys me, then even when I run a helmet, the strap and buckles always play havoc with my cheek weld. Toss on a gas mask and its a straight pain. In all honesty, only thing you can really do is practice. Your stance and hold will change completely. At the end of the day, practice will make comfortable and it work.

Example from me personally is when I needed to carry a mask in case gas was used and I needed run a long gun. I held more to sternum and kicked the butt stock out a click or 2 (I normally run my all the way down, when I have armor on) There was no cheek weld, it was all hands and shoulder.

It's even worse if you're a lefty. The buckle on my kevlar always tries to fuck up my cheek weld when I shoot table 2 at the range

#12 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

It's even worse if you're a lefty. The buckle on my kevlar always tries to fuck up my cheek weld when I shoot table 2 at the range

That's what you get for being a lefty. 

• mangeface likes this

#13 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

It explains so much about him though...

89BccLb.png

#14 DirtyTrigger

DirtyTrigger

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 447 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

It's even worse if you're a lefty. 

I knew it....    Weirdo.

:moon:        rofl

• mangeface likes this

Tu7wwUX.png?1

"Opportunity favors the prepared."

#15 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,674 posts
  • LocationSE AZ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

It explains so much about him though...

I see you've opted to forgo the yogurt. Interesting decision.
  • SKD_Tactical, mangeface, DeathwatchDoc and 1 other like this

#16 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

Pfft. Real men can shoot either righty or lefty. My last range score was 319 (99 Table 2) while blasting away left handed. So, no excuses bro.
  • SacRyan likes this

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users