32 replies to this topic

#1 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:52 AM

Im pretty new to the EDC concept. Im trying to get a good foundation started. Im currently Air National Guard I live in a suburb of Birmingham, AL. I am about to leave to go to Security Forces school. Looking for some advice on where to start. Suggestions on what brands to get ect. Thank you!

#2 redsol1

redsol1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 480 posts
  • LocationShenandoa Valley Virginia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

There is a lot of information on this board about this topic. A lot of it depends on your job and location, but i think most of us here can agree on be core items

Personal carry:

Knife

flashlight

some kind of multitool

writing implement

Primary weapon if allowed to open carry or you have a CWL

beyond that it's going to depend on your situations. i have an enhanced snivel kit (first aid kit) that lives on my briefcase and a Car bag that has all the stuff i like to keep with me when i'm on the road and i have to switch vehicles. Below are the links to my posts on each kit.

http://itstactical.c...dsol1s-car-bag/

http://itstactical.c...-first-aid-kit/

hope this helps. I'm sure the rest of the ITS team will chime in later.

La'

Step 1: Unfuck your gear Step 2: Unfuck your buddy Step 3: Unfuck yourself In that order.
— 3 Steps to Being a Team Player (Via Redteams.net)
Posted Image

#3 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

Redsol nailed in on the basic 4-5 items, from there I guess the main thing you need to do before investing lots of money is figure out priorities and preferences. Do you want to be "that guy" who shows up to a party or date with a full go bag? From some of the EDC photos I've seen posted, some guys carry a ton of stuff around. It may work for them, I'm not sure if they're carry a bag with them all the time, or if they have extra pockets sewn onto their 5.11 pants. I know for me I dress very casual and normal, and try not to wear too much "tactical" or firearm-related clothing.

I try to carry almost as little as I can while still retaining the ability to improvise/fight my way out of most situations. Essentially, you have to play the odds. This is something I learned to do during 7 1/2 years as a bomb tech. Instead of fixating on every nightmare scenario out there, you have to think about the historic likelihood of different device types, intended target, method of emplacement, and a few other factors. After that you have to develop improvisational skills, most of those comes with time and experience, but you can improve them through non-linear or lateral thinking exercises. This is important because it helps you to understand what you really NEED vs falling for effective marketing. There's a lot of really cool one piece wonder widget keychain tools, but how often do you actually use them? My keys are bulky enough so I avoid such things, but I do carry a tiny Gerber DIME in my back pocket. While I carry that little multi-tool every day it very very rarely used.

So think about what you normally wear, and work with the cargo space you have available, and don't run every pocket at max capacity, its uncomfortable and you'll spend half of your life digging through your pockets looking for that magic tool you brought along for just this situation. Other factors along that line are your lifestyle, the places you go, the situations you encounter, and what the people around you are wearing/doing. I'm not saying be all uber conformist, because if you do that you'll be wearing eye-liner, skinny jeans, v-neck shirts, and brimless fedoras. :down: However, don't be going through downtown Beverly Hills in head to toe real tree either (unless your last name is Robertson). Blend in, dress like a normal person, your EDC load should be such that it blends in too and doesn't make you any less "normal looking."

Remember the operative word in concealed carry, is concealed. :beer:

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#4 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Do you want to be "that guy" who shows up to a party or date with a full go bag?

What...what's wrong with that...? :-(
My bag goes with me about 95% of the time.

As for my actual person:
Gun/spare mag
Knife (usually a spyderco para 2)
Flashlight usually a FourSevens Quark AA2
Zippo
Flash drive
Leatherman micra
Photon light on my keyring
Swisstech utilikey on my keyring

#5 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

What...what's wrong with that...? :-(

It just gets a little awkward when a girl tries to cuddle up to you, but can't manage to move your 100-lb bag-o-rifles and ammo.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

#6 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Obviously not the right girl then

#7 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:13 PM

The ideal girl would start fondling the rifles and it would be on from there. You'd make sweet sweet love down by the firing range.

Edited by DeathwatchDoc, 30 July 2014 - 09:13 PM.
Damn you autocorrect

• SacRyan likes this

89BccLb.png

#8 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

Well played sir, well played.

#9 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

At work I carry the following on my person

Watch

ITS bracelet

Phone

Keys

Wallet

Knife

Mechanix Gloves in back pocket

Oakley FlakJackets

Oakley glasses pouch as a lens wipe

Chapstick (sometimes)

2 Pens

Notepad

In a single belt pouch, I have all the following

Radio

Sharpie

Penlight

Oxygen Key

Rubber gloves

Shears

When not at work, I have the following

Watch

ITS bracelet

Phone

Keys

Wallet

Oakley sunglasses

I don't have a dedicated EDC bag I carry around when not working.

My vehicle on the other hand is a 4 door single cab, if you know what I'm saying. My backseat is really just a storage area.

I have a scalable way of doing things. Next to nothing when not working, a few extras when at work, and driving a third world jingle truck when in transit somewhere.

• Davis likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#10 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

I have a scalable way of doing things. Next to nothing when not working, a few extras when at work, and driving a third world jingle truck when in transit somewhere.

The scalable concept is the best trend to ever happen to the preparedness mindset. Basically treating your desk/vehicle/home, etc as cache sites. Keep the minimum on you to get to your next cache. Your knife will get you to your pistol, your pistol to your rifle, your rifle to your Hilux w/ pintle mounted RPK, etc. Bags are the easiest way to mange this, a messenger bag/backpack at your desk/work station, and/or another bag in your vehicle. With this method you can minimize your weight penalty and afford some redundancy.  With this method you can minimize your weight penalty and afford some redundancy.

When I'm not at work all I carry is bullets and bandages ;). I keep a few bullets in my prison wallet and my banana hammock can serve as an improvised bandage. Oh, and sunglasses, because you need those to look cool.

Edited by spenceman, 31 July 2014 - 02:49 PM.

• Davis, Jersey0311, Scot McK and 1 other like this

#11 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

rofl

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#12 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

The scalable concept is the best trend to ever happen to the preparedness mindset. Basically treating your desk/vehicle/home, etc as cache sites. Keep the minimum on you to get to your next cache. Your knife will get you to your pistol, your pistol to your rifle, your rifle to your Hilux w/ pintle mounted RPK, etc. Bags are the easiest way to mange this, a messenger bag/backpack at your desk/work station, and/or another bag in your vehicle. With this method you can minimize your weight penalty and afford some redundancy.  With this method you can minimize your weight penalty and afford some redundancy.

When I'm not at work all I carry is bullets and bandages ;). I keep a few bullets in my prison wallet and my banana hammock can serve as an improvised bandage. Oh, and sunglasses, because you need those to look cool.

I first stole the scalable phrase from Davis. Before he mentioned it, I didn't know what to call it, lol

Most people spend 99% of their time between home, work, and their vehicle. Therefore it's prudent to keep items in all three locations if possible. Barring a JDAM strike on your house, in an emergency your priority should probably be to get home, since I bet that's where all your shit is. I keep items on hand to facilitate my return home from wherever I am.

My full time job has lockers for all the employees. The only thing I keep in there is a SOTech Mission Go Bag in there as a backup GHB in case my vehicle is somehow destroyed in the parking lot or otherwise rendered inaccessible. If I'm unable to get back to the main building at all (I pick up the truck and drive to a firehouse where I spend my day), my laptop bag (minus all the computer shit) functions as a GHB as well, with water and the other usual suspects.

Depending on what job I'm working at, will depend on the gear I keep w/ me. My full time gig has me running out of a firehouse all day, so I don't need to keep a bag in the ambulance with all my stuff as I have a room in the FD. If I'm at one of my other jobs where I'm stuck in the truck all day, I keep a small bag w/ mostly job related crap than survival items, although I do keep an MRE and 3 bottles of water in there, with a cheap multi-tool, cheap mini binos, and an IFAK, plus my work EDC that would enable me to ditch the truck and hoof it back to where my truck is parked, or back home.

If I'm in my vehicle, then I have my primary GHB in the backseat. That pack you sold me is being put to good use. There's extra room in the main compartment for me to stuff the extra water bottles and MREs into it as well.

If I'm at home, the hard part is picking what bag to grab to GTFO, as I have multiples, and would cry at the thought of leaving my shit behind, lol

Redundancy is the name of the game. Once I get hired by PD I'll be able to keep bullets in all of my stuff without risking arrest. Then I can truly practice the bullets and bandages mantra everyday!

Edited by Jersey0311, 01 August 2014 - 06:52 AM.

TBL-2.png

#13 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

Here's 3 articles I liked on the topic of EDC

http://blog.predator...aining-edc.html

http://blog.predator...ing-edc_24.html

http://blog.predator...raining-in.html

TBL-2.png

#14 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Any issue with mentioning another board that has some good info?  It is free and I own no part of it.

Posted Image

#15 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

Thank you

#16 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

We take linking to other boards and sites on a case by case basis. Usually it's fine when it's a "hey I just read this (insert link ) about this very topic and found it illuminating/enlightening/amusing/etc". We usually have the most problem with it when it's some new board member who immdiately starts promoting their own interests/blogs/YouTube/etc.

General rule of thumb is that if it adds to the conversation for the benefit of all, we generally don't care.

89BccLb.png

#17 SacRyan

SacRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 136 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

There is always the ITS Tac EDC Carry pocket dump photos on flickr  

https://www.flickr.c...os/itstactical/

Qd3OG01.png

Do the right thing, even when no one is looking.

#18 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

OK thanks Deathwatch.  I was going to link to the board Southnarc and some other knowledgeable folks post on.  They have some long and involved threads about EDC.

Posted Image

#19 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

So tell me how this sounds. From some research I formed this idea of centering my EDC around my CCW since its on me 24/7 unless im on duty which is different.  So I made a list of the major situations I get in and that happen in my AO everyday then how I would handle and treat or evade/escape that situation.  Then made a list of the essential/minimum gear I would need.  Then created a web diagram summing it up by priority kinda and then figured out how to carry it.

Attached File  1407365360814.jpg   84.83KB   1 downloads

Attached File  1407365448759.jpg   74.2KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1407365502938.jpg   83.96KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1407365502938.jpg   83.96KB   0 downloads

Example almost worst case scenario because if shtf I would be working and have my work loadout on.

Active Shooter/ Armed hostile situation with injuries

Assess situation 

Get to a hard point 

Regroup

Assess situation plan A: Eleminate threat, treat victims once threat in down plan B: E&E

Gear:

CCW to elemenate threat

45 Rounds of 9mm on person,  100 rounds total if I have my EDC pack

Knife

Flashlight

Baton

Blow out kit, Truama kit and Booboo kit if I have my EDC pack to treat my self and victims

Comms; my cell and charger and portable charger call 911and anyone else

Other edc items. 

What do you think?

#20 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Sent that from my phone

0 user(s) are reading this topic