32 replies to this topic

#21 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

So tell me how this sounds. From some research I formed this idea of centering my EDC around my CCW since its on me 24/7 unless im on duty which is different.  So I made a list of the major situations I get in and that happen in my AO everyday then how I would handle and treat or evade/escape that situation.  Then made a list of the essential/minimum gear I would need.  Then created a web diagram summing it up by priority kinda and then figured out how to carry it.

attachicon.gif1407365360814.jpg

attachicon.gif1407365448759.jpg

attachicon.gif1407365502938.jpg

attachicon.gif1407365502938.jpg

Example almost worst case scenario because if shtf I would be working and have my work loadout on.

Active Shooter/ Armed hostile situation with injuries

Assess situation 

Get to a hard point 

Regroup

Assess situation plan A: Eleminate threat, treat victims once threat in down plan B: E&E

Gear:

CCW to elemenate threat

45 Rounds of 9mm on person,  100 rounds total if I have my EDC pack

Knife

Flashlight

Baton

Blow out kit, Truama kit and Booboo kit if I have my EDC pack to treat my self and victims

Comms; my cell and charger and portable charger call 911and anyone else

Other edc items. 

What do you think?

Well.... First just let me pre apologize, I usually sound like a critical ass face... so Im sorry if it comes out like this...

likely if you are in an active shooter situation lets say on a college campus. You more than likely will not be within the actual AO of the shooter, and if that is the case your sole purpose is to get others around you to safety, anyone who has ever went looking for a fight has lost.

If you are in the shooters AO, lets say immediate AO and violence is imminent... retreat and regroup is not on the docket, fortify in place and engage a choke point, like a doorway or hallway. If you feel that you are the sole opposition of the insanity and in the immediate AO you are better off baiting the fight. fortify in place, make some noise, draw them in and shoot.

That is just my thought.

As far as the 45 rounds on your person. Unless its a duty belt you are a truly committed individual. I carry a Sig p226 most days, 19 rounds in the gun. I usually figure if I cant get it done in 19 rounds Im not going to get it done. Same goes for my XDS, holds 6, i dont carry a spare mag on me. I probably should for that one but for the Sig... no... the likelihood that you are going to even get in a gunfight...let alone need to reload twice... is astronomical. 

I would save the weight and space of the mags for other pieces of EDC kit. 

just my thoughts... not necessarily gospel.

• Jersey0311 and DieselD like this
Posted Image

#22 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

Well.... First just let me pre apologize, I usually sound like a critical ass face... so Im sorry if it comes out like this...

likely if you are in an active shooter situation lets say on a college campus. You more than likely will not be within the actual AO of the shooter, and if that is the case your sole purpose is to get others around you to safety, anyone who has ever went looking for a fight has lost.

If you are in the shooters AO, lets say immediate AO and violence is imminent... retreat and regroup is not on the docket, fortify in place and engage a choke point, like a doorway or hallway. If you feel that you are the sole opposition of the insanity and in the immediate AO you are better off baiting the fight. fortify in place, make some noise, draw them in and shoot.

That is just my thought.

As far as the 45 rounds on your person. Unless its a duty belt you are a truly committed individual. I carry a Sig p226 most days, 19 rounds in the gun. I usually figure if I cant get it done in 19 rounds Im not going to get it done. Same goes for my XDS, holds 6, i dont carry a spare mag on me. I probably should for that one but for the Sig... no... the likelihood that you are going to even get in a gunfight...let alone need to reload twice... is astronomical. 

I would save the weight and space of the mags for other pieces of EDC kit. 

just my thoughts... not necessarily gospel.

Agreed, except with the spare mag part. While I absolutely do agree with you about having better luck winning the lottery than getting into a gunfight and having to reload, I can't shake the image of Ivan crashing through the Fulda Gap and only have the one magazine in my gun LOL

In all seriousness, I feel naked without at least a spare, but that's just me. Even when walking around the FOB or the PB overseas I always tossed a spare mag in my back pocket in addition to the one in the gun. Old habits die hard brother.

Maybe I should relax though, who knows.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#23 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

I don't think carrying a spare mag is a big deal.

But to the point of 100 rounds, that's a bit overkill as said.

Consider the weight and there are other things that you could use in the space that takes up

(In Jersey0311 voice) Bandages and med supplies will be used more often than bullets

• Davis and Jersey0311 like this

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#24 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,598 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

1 spare mag? I carry 3 as of right now. It will be 4 in a week or so.

I never want to encounter that feeling of running out of "bang bangs".

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#25 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:29 AM

There is no such thing as extra ammo...
  • mangeface, SacRyan and AaronK like this

89BccLb.png

#26 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hey Steve, what Mag are you rolling in your P226? Is it flush fit? 

89BccLb.png

#27 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

I carry an extra magazine primarily to cure malfunctions. The way I've been trained to clear double feeds is much faster and more reliable with a second magazine. Also, I'm not sure if this is 100% correct or not, but I've been taught that most double feeds are a magazine problem. So, not even considering round count, I carry a second magazine. As with anything else, your individual needs, experiences, and preferences will determine your personal EDC solution. I enjoy reading other opinions and adapting as I find out what's working for everyone else.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#28 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

I don't think carrying a spare mag is a big deal.

But to the point of 100 rounds, that's a bit overkill as said.

Consider the weight and there are other things that you could use in the space that takes up

(In Jersey0311 voice) Bandages and med supplies will be used more often than bullets

great point maybe i might go down to ~40mags or so. and add extra qc's and tq's.

on the other end how is the concept im using to figure out what to carry and ect.?

#29 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

great point maybe i might go down to ~40mags or so. and add extra qc's and tq's.

on the other end how is the concept im using to figure out what to carry and ect.?

That method of planning your EDC seems great. I haven't see that method before, but diagraming things out could help design a very focused EDC kit.

#30 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

It's certainly a lot more thought out than most EDC kits are... I would say that you should always listen to your guy though... if you stumble upon an item that doesn't fit your scenario but screams you really should have this with you... trust that instinct. 

89BccLb.png

#31 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

It's certainly a lot more thought out than most EDC kits are... I would say that you should always listen to your guy though... if you stumble upon an item that doesn't fit your scenario but screams you really should have this with you... trust that instinct. 

I totally agree. Trusting your gut is important.

#32 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

I agree trust your gut and look at more what happens/could happen daily in your life.

Plan accordingly

I for one live in a rural area, so my EDC has more first aid/trauma than anything else.Since we have a small EMT unit in our county.

I'm never more than a few miles from home, unless I go grocery shopping/out to eat, then about 20 miles. So my needs are much different than yours.

You look to me to be on the right track though. Pretty good idea writing it out like that

Edited by DieselD, 08 August 2014 - 05:08 PM.

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#33 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:22 AM

awesome!! thanks! ill continue to refine it and refine it and im sure ill get to a pretty good foundation soon. thank you all for the help! ill post up if i have any other questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users