15 replies to this topic

#1 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

Wanting to buy a new edc folding/ spring assisted/ switch blade knife that is light able to hold tactical knife/fighting status and less than $200 and hold up to some utility uses

#2 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

Long answer:

I left you a note in your other thread about EDC, and I'll expand a bit here. I recommend watching some Youtube vids by Nutnfancy. I don't go to the Church of Nutnfancy or anything, but there is some good info there. He gets very long winded, but is thorough and honest. More important than the reviews is his methodology. He has a list of talking points for various types of tools/weapons and he rates them on those criteria. I recommend watching his videos simply so you can build your own list of criteria. The two biggest things he addresses are Philosophy of Use (POU), and Size and Weight Considerations (SAWC). Basically you have to decide how you realistically intend to use an item (in this case a knife), and what attributes a knife will need to fulfill that usage. After that you can look at SAWC, there are some really sweet knives out there, but looking good and meeting your needs are different things. 3d machined G10 scales are very comfortable in the hand, but they are also very bulky in the pocket. A 5-inch blade is great for a fighting knife, but is awkward when you're just opening boxes or removing a hang-nail. I recommend sitting down with a pad of paper and writing down your requirements, but be sure you read my other post about having realistic expectations/playing the odds.

Short answer:

I personally carry a Zero Tolerance 0350 SKD edition. It was about $180 when I bought it, and is spring assisted. I'm a big fan of it.

• SwatDawg335, B3dlam and TRYG like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#3 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Like spenceman said nutnfancy althought not the be all end all does sometimes have some useful ideas. In the price range you have set you could easily get yourself a decent benchmade or CRKT.  I carry both interchangeably currently I have a benchmade triage as thats the knife I carry at work but my civilian pants have a big CRKT in them right now.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#4 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

This thread may help too...just to see what everyone else is carrying:

http://itstactical.c...your-edc-knife/

Edited by Superman, 30 July 2014 - 11:32 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Geist

Geist

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 295 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

I really enjoy my Benchmade 915, if you're able to carry autos and want something more aggressive the Benchmade 9170 is the same concept but a sharper edge.

By the way if you decide to go benchmade try and find a local dealer to get a nice deal on one.

Edited by Geist, 30 July 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#6 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

I love my Benchmade Griptilian, but I am on the look out for something new and interesting.

89BccLb.png

#7 TRYG

TRYG

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 42 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

I would also recommend the ZT though in all fairness it has been replaced as my EDC in favor of a Microtech Scarab.

#8 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

Depending on where you go and which knife you choose you might even be able to get two knives for that budget. I frequently carry a ZT0350 that I got for $110 and my Benchmade Mini Grip (555HG-BLU I believe) was scored new for an amazing $16. If you can't find any place local to get a deal check out cutleryshoppe.com; they seem to have just about the best prices online that I have found (though I have not yet purchased from them so I can't give any info on their customer service). Finally, I would also give a +1 to watching Nutnfancy's knife review videos; he goes in depth and touches on a number of points that I think are important when it comes to considering making a purchase. I haven't checked his playlists in a while but I believe he actually has one specifically for his reviews of EDC knife reviews.

#9 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

So im looking at getting one of these can I get some help narrowing it down?

Cold Steel 21s Spartan 4.5in. Blade with black grivory handle and steel liners
$61.60
Cold Steel 58TPC Code 4 3.5in. Clip point or Spear point or tanto plain edge aluminium handle
$55
SOG ZM1012 Zoom assisted opening 3.6in. Tini plain edge
$65
SOG TF1 Trident 3.75in. Black tini 50/50 edge blade.

Kershaw 6074OLBLK Emerson CQC-5K Wave - 3.00" Black Finish Clip Point Blade

Kershaw 6024BLK Emerson CQC-2K Wave - 2.75" Black Finish Clip Point Blade

#10 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 245 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

I can't help you with those knives.

Watch your blade length for a folder if you plan to carry concealed in your pocket. Some states are finicky. Also, watch knife weight.

Do you want a fighting knife, a utility knife or a tool? What do you want it to do well as blade shape comes into play? What kind of steel do you want? I like my ZT 350, but it is heavy for EDC so I only carry it on weekends when hiking or camping. It is my first level get out of trouble tool. It is sturdy enough for light battoning in an emergency, but I'd rather use a hatchet or a fixed blade for battoning. The blade is SV30 steel. The knife should work in a pinch for skinning, but I have a fixed blade skinning knife.

I've made feather sticks with the ZT and my trusty old Buck for many years to start fires. I have a couple of Kershaw's (one tanto and one clip point), the old Buck and a few other brands around. Benchmade make nice knives for the money as others have commented. Others like Spyderco. A Tanto blade is supposedly better for stabbing but probably not so good for skinning. I will probably not buy another tanto blade.

At this point in my life, my goal is to stay out of a knife fight. Good luck.

#11 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

For me a tool first weapon second.

#12 RAIDERxSOFREP

RAIDERxSOFREP

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

I live in the south there arnt many laws and I want something lighter. I carry pretty heavy as it is

#13 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

If are going to invest in a good knife do yourself a big favor and if possible go to a knife shop or a gun and knife show. Look around a good while and handle the knives you see in the price range and mode you have sat for yourself. Personally of that list you made I'd stay away from sog. Imo their folders are sub-par for what you pay for the most part. I do like their fixed blades and multitools. I myself am a spyderco guy. To me the clipit series ( delica, endura, and stretch in particular) are the benchmark of the lightweight edc knife world in their class. With a budget of under $200 you have a enormous amount of great options.

#14 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:22 AM

Benchmade AFO II Tanto

Been carrying one for 5 years now. Only on my second one because the first one is somewhere in Helmand Province.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#15 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:25 AM

A very well made knife I have had for some time and still carry on occasion is my Enzo birk 75. Mine is the older scandi grind model in d2 tool steel ( which is still available) but now they are available in cpm s30v and full flat grind which is more suitable for edc use. They are very sturdy liner locks with micarta or carbon fiber ( your choice) scales thick 410 stainless liners and pillars. I think I paid like $ 85 bucks for mine a few years back but the price is a bit higher now. Great knife

#16 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

Update to the last post the Enzo in s30v is about $120 now. It's a decent price for such a knife. Enzo is a finnish company the birk is made for them to their specifications in Taiwan with excellent quality control. I suspect by the same factory that produces many of spydercos taiwanese made pieces. If this knife were to be made in the USA or in Europe the price would be considerably higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users