#21 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Thanks!! 

Been looking at several different fixed blade carry knives, some one sided, some two, and the SOCP. Now just gotta decide on a few. I figure 2 is better then 1 haha.

• leosavage likes this

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#22 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Thanks!!

Been looking at several different fixed blade carry knives, some one sided, some two, and the SOCP. Now just gotta decide on a few. I figure 2 is better then 1 haha.

I live by the motto that 2 is 1 and 1 is none. When I lived in the metro detroit area I always included a sog mini pentagon dagger as my I.s.h.t.f backup blade when I went to the city. Except when I went to red wing games at the Joe Louis arena then I had to leave the steel in the car and bring a cold steel delta dart ( non metallic glass reinforced nylon shank). Just keep in mind that a dagger is intended as a stabbing weapon not a utility knife so such a knife should probably not be your only cutting tool on your person.

#23 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

Leosavage,

I take on the same mindset, I try to have two of of the "tools" I carry either on me or close by. I'm going to be going with a Spyderco folder for normal everyday cutting needs. My gerber multitool for more intense things needed, and the fixed blades will be for defense only.

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#24 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

SPYDERCO... Good man. You'll see in my posts I'm a knife obsessed fool and even with all the great companies out there spydies are my favorite folders.

#25 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

I don't know but I can tell you it's worth the cash. It's very well built and my only two complaints are the belt and the straps. The belt and straps aren't the original contoured design but they are still comfortable

Is the waist belt removable from the pack?

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#26 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

Where would one acquire these auto jigglers?

#27 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

What about the potential of having to fire-return fire on an assailant behind realistic concealment/cover or on a real nasty individual wearing soft level IIa-IIIa protection?

#28 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Only in regard to your decision not to employ +P or +P+

#29 Beaucoup VC

Beaucoup VC

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

SPYDERCO... Good man. You'll see in my posts I'm a knife obsessed fool and even with all the great companies out there spydies are my favorite folders.

Leo, your selected avatar picture is quite an exemplary one. Bill the Butcher fits you perfectly, brother! Love me some Spyderco as well.

#30 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

I hate to be the wet blanket of the bunch, but I hate the whole 2 is 1, 1 is none mantra. It's always bugged me, along with slow is smooth, smooth is fast. It's the transitive property in math.

If Slow = Smooth, and Smooth = Fast, then Slow = Fast, which is antithetical.

If 2 = 1 and 1= 0, then 2 = 0, how far then do we take it? does 3 = 2 and 4 = 3? You could go on for days. 

And while I'm on this rant, it is not necessarily better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. That line of thinking just leads to carrying dead weight and excess gear, which ultimately leads to compromising your self in a variety of ways.

Leosavage, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, you just brought up that phrase which has been grinding my gears for a while now. I do firmly believe in carrying a spare, especially for certain critical and or expendable items (which is probably what you take away from the phrase). I just think the preparedness/EDC thing has become a trendy excuse to buy buy buy. I also think ITS is the best atmosphere on the web for shifting the traditional wisdom to something more efficient. The preparedness crowd often loses touch with reality, and I think we are in a good place here to encourage scalable preparedness based on statistical likelihoods. The emphasis is on training and gear that is versatile, lightweight, high quality,and low bulk that will facilitate competent improvisation and ultimately survival.

• Davis and DeathwatchDoc like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#31 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

I hate to be the wet blanket of the bunch, but I hate the whole 2 is 1, 1 is none mantra. It's always bugged me, along with slow is smooth, smooth is fast. It's the transitive property in math.

If 2 = 1 and 1= 0, then 2 = 0, how far then do we take it? does 3 = 2 and 4 = 3? You could go on for days.
And while I'm on this rant, it is not necessarily better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. That line of thinking just leads to carrying dead weight and excess gear, which ultimately leads to compromising your self in a variety of ways.

Leosavage, I'm not trying to rain on your parade, you just brought up that phrase which has been grinding my gears for a while now. I do firmly believe in carrying a spare, especially for certain critical and or expendable items (which is probably what you take away from the phrase). I just think the preparedness/EDC thing has become a trendy excuse to buy buy buy. I also think ITS is the best atmosphere on the web for shifting the traditional wisdom to something more efficient. The preparedness crowd often loses touch with reality, and I think we are in a good place here to encourage scalable preparedness based on statistical likelihoods. The emphasis is on training and gear that is versatile, lightweight, high quality,and low bulk that will facilitate competent improvisation and ultimately survival.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point with everything except knives. Go figure lol. I generally carry 2 due to the fact that I want to have one blade that is fresh and sharp in the event I need something hair whittling sharp. My knives 98% of the time are sharp enough due to the fact that I'm obsessive about sharpening but I use my edc knifes intensively as at my job ( I refuse to use the cheap ass dangerous cutters they provide) so one knife is the work blade one is in reserve. I'm confident enough in my ability to improvise other items I may need that my basic edc doesn't already cover since everything I carry is multi use.
  • spenceman likes this

#32 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

This is why I could never have been an EOD Tech. Math and me don't mix.

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#33 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

Ok, I'll esplain that one again for the Marines in the room. If a Penis = a Dude, and a Hot Chick has a Penis, then that Hot Chick = A Dude. Always perform the Thailand Test or else you might go home with a transmission.

• Jersey0311 and smokey like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#34 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Ok, I'll esplain that one again for the Marines in the room. If a Penis = a Dude, and a Hot Chick has a Penis, then that Hot Chick = A Dude. Always perform the Thailand Test or else you might go home with a transmission.

LOL brother I picked up what you were putting down there, no worries.

Scalability for the win!

• spenceman and Davis like this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#35 SteveSOS

SteveSOS

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 342 posts
  • LocationAnchorage Alaska

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:42 AM

Yes the waist belt is removable, which is why I was ok with it. I just put in a High Speed Gear Combat Belt. 

as for the return fire on concealed target a couple things. 

(1) 124gr Ball will have a better chance at accurate penetration vs. 124gr +P JHP in most cases. I do mean IN MOST CASES, but against soft armor you are right it would put a guy down faster to have +P. I am usually in the standard practice of mozambiquing my targets. Not something that many people do, or something that I aspire to do most of the time, but if i notice an armor impact I usually dump another round north. That and +P has the uncanny ability to destroy suppressors, I like my can... I don't want to wait a year for another can. 

I guess really in that situation I would suppress and egress, which is what I would do in most cases to begin with, if there is chaos and one asshole with a gun, likely the asshole club is nearby also with guns. 

Spence!

I agree, I have always hated the 2 is 1, 1 is none. I get why it was coined its easy to teach and remember, and for the most part I do practice redundancy, I just don't like that particular saying does'nt mean it would work any less on the masses.

Slow is smooth smooth is fast... I get it.. I don't like it but i get it. It forces smooth use of fundamentals, which is great. On the other side of that coin the more you get on in the shooting world and the faster you become you always cut corners and adopt your own style on something, which is in no way using smooth fundamentals. Effective yes, Fundamental No.

Here is where you get auto jigglers

http://www.lockpicks...com/SJG-10.html

• Davis likes this
Posted Image

#36 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

[...]

I know this is preaching to the choir but I really do not want to do actual work right now so I'm going to waist some time typing on here instead... 

Both of these "rules" are just kind of general concepts or theories and I hope that people do not take them completely literally or at basic face value. With the "two is one" concept, when teaching/talking to a person new to the EDC (or whatever situation is applicable) this is an easy and catchy phrase to help emphasize that things like carrying a spare mag is really important, or if you carry a flashlight you should carry extra batteries in your EDC bag, etc. It should not mean that if you carry a change of clothes in your truck that you should carry two changes of clothes because that would be a waist of space and is not really a critical/life-safety item. 

As for the "slow is smooth" concept, again it's a concept that worked well for me as a teaching aide. When I taught at the fire academy one of the first things that we covered was properly donning your bunker gear. You had 60 seconds to be fully dressed out. There were always at least a few students that would just try to move so fast that they would totally dick things up and end up taking like 3 mins to get dressed... so I would use the slow is smooth concept just to slow them down until they developed that muscle memory and sure enough, once they got the smoothness down they could get dressed out well under time. But again, it's just a concept and should not be applied literally to all situations. 

That said, Spence, I do fully agree that EDC is becoming a growing "trend", I think there is a lot of misinformation out there and a lot of people that are over spending, over packing, and just generally over doing everything because they watch some TV shows or one of the million youtube sensations and think that they need to buy gear for every situation imaginable vs. looking at their lives and playing the odds/statistics. Like me for example, I keep a pretty minimal amount of gear in my truck on the typical daily basis, why? Because my home is 1 mile from my work and even in the worst of situations I could get there pretty quickly and easily with nothing. My typical daily after work activities (shopping, errands, etc.) keep me within a 3 to 4 mile radius of home so again, it's not a hump to get home by any means. When I am going to go outside my normal "bubble" I start to scale up and add some more stuff to my truck. 

Okay, I should at least pretend to do some work now...

Edited for spelling... because I had not had enough coffee yet...

Edited by Davis, 06 August 2014 - 10:55 AM.

• spenceman likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#37 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

I do firmly believe in carrying a spare, especially for certain critical and or expendable items (which is probably what you take away from the phrase). I just think the preparedness/EDC thing has become a trendy excuse to buy buy buy. I also think ITS is the best atmosphere on the web for shifting the traditional wisdom to something more efficient. The preparedness crowd often loses touch with reality, and I think we are in a good place here to encourage scalable preparedness based on statistical likelihoods. The emphasis is on training and gear that is versatile, lightweight, high quality,and low bulk that will facilitate competent improvisation and ultimately survival.

This is what I mean when I use the so hated phrase above. There has to be some common sense come into play when using it. My intentions are not to buy buy buy. I'm just wanting to put something together of the things I could come across NEEDING and not just self defense items. Also, the reason I'm looking for a smaller pack then what I have now is because I dont want to be lugging around a bag full of stuff that MIGHT get used once a year.

I dont see any of this stuff on TV because I dont watch TV. Only look at this stuff on Youtube to check out the reviews on products I'm interested in before buying.

I can see the "smooth" phrase being helpful for those that are training and learning. As someone trains and learns and practices, I feel at that time, the individual will start to move away from this concept as they get faster and are able to stay "smooth" in their actions.

As someone just getting into this and trying to be better prepared, its tough to figure out whats a necessaty for EDC and whats "shown" to be a necessaty just to be buying and lugging around. Thats why I like these forums so far, I can get ideas from each person and taylor it to my actual daily needs and trim it down to carrying the least about of gear around that I need too.

Like I said, I'm new, dont bash me up to bad but if I'm off in my way of thinking please tell me because I sure dont want to buy a bunch of stuff I don't need and carrying around a crap ton of gear for no reason haha.

• Davis likes this

itstactical.png

#38 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

CrazyD, just for clarification, I would not take anything written above as beating up on you at all. I promise that everyone of us on here love to see folks newer to the EDC mindset and lifestyle come here and read and ask questions, it always leads to some really wonderful discussions on here. We are a pretty diverse group here with all levels and types of experience and personal lessons learned. You will also find that we are very good at getting off the original thread "topic" but that is where some of the best things come from on here. 

• mangeface likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

#39 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

CrazyD, just for clarification, I would not take anything written above as beating up on you at all. I promise that everyone of us on here love to see folks newer to the EDC mindset and lifestyle come here and read and ask questions, it always leads to some really wonderful discussions on here.

Oh we're good, I didn't take it that way at all. It was an attempt at some humor but at the same time letting ya'll know I'm here to learn and if I'm not headed in the right direction by all means let me know.

• Davis likes this

itstactical.png

#40 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:25 PM

What the hell is this "topic" thing you speak of?
  • spenceman and Davis like this

89BccLb.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users