• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Anyone (Michiganders in particular) going to the Thunder Over Michigan air show at Willow Run Airport this coming weekend to see the Thunderbirds?

I hope to take my family there assuming the weather holds off.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#2 leosavage

leosavage

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 212 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:18 AM

I am from Belleville Michigan lived there for about 28 years. The Yankee airforce museum is a great place full of history. I had my 11th birthday party there and remember marveling at the Yankee lady. A fully restored b17. Stepping in to her was a humbling experience. To see what it was like inside an actual ww2 bomber blew my mind. When I looked down in to the ball turret and really saw what it must have been like for the gunner on a mission it gave me the chills. Really gave you a new found respect for those men on the bomber crews.
I could sit in the field and watch the blue angels do their practice runs all week when the air show was in town or go out to this park the neighborhood had on Belleville lake and watch them. When the actual show was on we would go sit in the k mart parking lot and see the whole thing for free. One year there was even a fly over by a stealth fighter. This was either the summer after the first gulf war or the second so it was amazing to me at that young age....it never failed though as I got older and busy with other things I'd forget all about the airshow and that first morning when those f18s flew in it would scare the shit out of me for a few seconds lol.... Ah the good old days. Thanks for posting this it made my day

#3 DieselD

DieselD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 530 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

I'll be out of town so not going to make it.

We used to farm all the land inside Willow Run Airport. I was fitting ground when the B52 flew in. The ground was shaking and I thought the tractor was having problems from the vibrations of the plane. Man was that thing cool to see fly in.

we also used to disc up the ground between the runways for them to lime.

That was the target for Blue Angles to fly in on and they could see it from 20,000 ft. We used to get free tickets for everything for doing that.

Have fun wit the family DStevenson

A government feared by its citizens is tyranny. A government afraid of it's citizens is freedom

III%er

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#4 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

I'm holding off on this one and going to Selfridge on 6 Sept

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:54 AM

I may be going to the Selfridge show also, this last run at Willow wasn't the best experience.

It was ugly muggy, hot and hazy...  September should be perfect!

Blue Angels will be at that show and truth be told I think they are a bit better than my homeboys in the Thunderbirds.

• mangeface likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#6 Muscoe

Muscoe

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

New member.  Just signed up today.  From Michigan's E.U.P.  Looking forward to learning from the Forum.

#7 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

Welcome Muscoe!

I used to head up there for several weeks a year for work.

We have a test facility at the old Sawyer air base.  We still send 10 or so guys up there during the winter months for continuous testing but I'm no longer required to go... and that crap gets cold.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users