• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Does anyone concealed carry while riding a bike? If so I'm looking for some suggestions on holsters, carry position, bike clothing, and any other gear or techniques people are using to ride while carrying. I got a new mountain bike recently and I've started biking a lot more. So far I haven't been able to adjust my current CCW system to biking. My current setup is:

Firearm: Springfield XDS in .45

Holster: IWB Crossbreed Supertuck (carried between the 3 and 4 o'clock position)

Also: one spare magazine

Thanks!

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#2 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

What about one of the little chest packs from Hill People? 

http://www.hillpeopl.../1/Default.aspx

• iExpresso and LongHaul like this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#3 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:00 AM

Ive carried a G26 in a holster placed into an outer pocket of a camelback. Make sure the pistol will secure properly in the pocket. Ive never had it happen but the hits from the trail may work the contents out of the pocket if youre not careful to secure the gear. The weight of the pistol in the camelback was awkward at first. The gear from hill people would be the way to go for me if i was still riding the trails. Good luck and let us know what works for you.

Edited by iExpresso, 08 August 2014 - 01:19 PM.

• LongHaul likes this

#4 Superman

Superman

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 126 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

I wear this:

http://www.511tactic...stol-pouch.html

I use it for running too.  It works really well.  I wear it facing front when I'm running and facing back when I'm riding (road or trails).

• LongHaul likes this
Posted Image

#5 Spooky13

Spooky13

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

I've got a G23 and a Sig P238 that I alternate between depending on what I'm doing/wearing, but when I go biking, I normally rock the camelbak option.  It doesn't bother me at all and both fit just fine inside the outer pocket of my MULE.  Hopefully you find something that works well for you.

• LongHaul likes this

tnBGvMS.png

#6 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 310 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

I have a Recon Kitbag from HPG and can't say enough good things about it.  I use it for SAR and while backpacking rather than biking, but I don't know why it wouldn't work just as well.  Holds my XD rather well, and they make a runner's accessory kit with bungies that keep it tighter to the body for more active persuits.

IMG_20140402_0726402.jpg

Taken following the Oso mission.

• iExpresso and LongHaul like this

While I breathe I shall defend.

#7 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone for the ideas. A chest mounted pouch seems like a good solution that would work in a lot of different conditions. The HPG pouches look awesome, but the 5.11 pouch seems like it might be a little more discreet. Decisions, decisions...

#8 Davis

Davis

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,341 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

I guess it really depends where you are biking as well... out on trails or around town? The chest pack, though not full on tactical, still kind of screams gun, at least a little, but I think it would be your fastest access while biking. If you are trail riding and you pop around a corner and find a sow with some cubs and she decides not to run a way, it may be nice to have some quick access to the .45.

(Please note that I would never advocate carrying anything less than a .44 mag if you are out in known bear country and have a strong likelihood of meeting a bear, but if your .45 is all you have, that is much better than nothing.)

• mysteriousjl likes this

Ir2fdXw.png?1

Put good in, get good out. 

#9 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 750 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

I guess it really depends where you are biking as well... out on trails or around town? The chest pack, though not full on tactical, still kind of screams gun, at least a little, but I think it would be your fastest access while biking. If you are trail riding and you pop around a corner and find a sow with some cubs and she decides not to run a way, it may be nice to have some quick access to the .45.

(Please note that I would never advocate carrying anything less than a .44 mag if you are out in known bear country and have a strong likelihood of meeting a bear, but if your .45 is all you have, that is much better than nothing.)

For now I'm mostly riding around trails in town. My main concern while biking are the two legged threats. There is a possiblity of bears, but I'd assess that risk as low to moderate. When I'm in bear areas hiking, rafting, hunting, etc.  I've got a .44 that I open carry in a leather chest mounted holster that works with a backpack on and is really fast to draw from. I agree that a .45 against a bear is better than nothing, but that better not be "Plan A."

For carrying my .45 around town I do like the quick access that a chest pouch offers, so I'll probably go that way. It will scream (or at least whisper) gun, but for quick access I'll accept the tradeoff. Besides Alaska is a pretty gun friendly state. Most people that would recognize the chest pouch as a concealed carry holster probably wouldn't care much.

• Davis and mysteriousjl like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CCW, Concealed, bike, commute

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users