7 replies to this topic

#1 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

I am looking at buying a fatboy/tallboy in the near future. I like that the tallboy has the option to be worn on a belt since I don't frequently wear a fully kit. The only issue I am having with this is that with the Malice Strips that are included, there is no way to quickly access the contents without taking the kit off. Does anyone have any sugguestions or methods you've used? Thanks

#2 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

I haven't played with the Tallboy (as I have three Fatboys) - but an option that I have used with one of my ITS IFAKs - is a Velcro panel from NA Rescue (http://www.narescue....CN=67292D9AED17) - however there is a caveat... If you are going to incorporate a tear-away, Velcro panel for an IFAK - particularly, styles like the Fatboy and Tallboy - make certain that you do something with the IFAK pull-handle, as you want to grab the panel's handle and not the IFAK's, when removing it from the Velcro shingle-mount.

I also use the ATS Tactical Medical Pouch - Small, which incorporates a Velcro shingle mount - and has a protective flap over the IFAK's pull-handle - to avoid the wrong handle from being employed, when removing it.

Just my two-cents, worth...

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM (I will either find a way, or make one.) - Hannibal

ITS Life Member and Crew Leader

Owner and Principal Instructor - at, Immediate Action Outfitters, LLC www.facebook.com/ImmediateActionOutfitters

#3 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 10 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

I have also contacted Zulu Nylon Gear - a year, or so, ago - and asked about a quick-release/quick-detachable mount for the ITS kits and they were not able to provide any assistance, for me...

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM (I will either find a way, or make one.) - Hannibal

Owner and Principal Instructor - at, Immediate Action Outfitters, LLC www.facebook.com/ImmediateActionOutfitters

#4 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

http://www.vanquest....cks-4-pack.html

Look at a set of molle sticks you could use a red paracord handle attached to both and you could grab and pull to remove the kit.

Here is ITS Tacticals own review of quick sticks.

Edited by B3dlam, 10 August 2014 - 11:07 PM.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#5 911 Healer

911 Healer

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWaukee, Iowa

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

I have better luck with the Velcro shingle. The "Molly Stix" setup also runs into the issue of what strap you are reaching, for - if using a kit similar to the Fatboy IFAKs - when you are trying to release your kit in a hurry.

Edited by 911 Healer, 10 August 2014 - 11:59 PM.

#6 CENTCOMSurvivor

CENTCOMSurvivor

Down Wit' Da Hui

• 948 posts
  • LocationTampa/St Petersburg Florida

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Here is what I did, a bit unconventional but I really like this setup. Before that I used the MOLLE Stix which worked fine, the only issue is once the IFAK is removed there is no way to quickly re-mount it. 

14470734416_469a27c0d1_b.jpgITS Fatboy vertical mount under D3. by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

14493841195_9d1227eb3a_b.jpgITS Fatboy vertical mount under D3. by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

14307194410_64aa63b77d_b.jpgITS Fatboy vertical mount under D3. by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

14492625352_8e845a3ce6_b.jpgITS Fatboy vertical mount under D3. by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

14307367417_1db048080b_b.jpgITS Fatboy vertical mount under D3. by CENTCOM_Survivor, on Flickr

• SwatDawg335 and mangeface like this
Posted Image

#7 x2humbucker

x2humbucker

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 33 posts
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

In everyone's opinion, which is the better of the two, the tallboy or the fatboy? I don't think there is much outside the ETA kit that I would like to add, but maybe I would use this out hiking and swap out some of the items. 

#8 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 452 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

It really just depends on where and how you plan to mount the pouch.  I've got both, and have no preference between the two.  My tallboy fits better inside the backpack that I use for EDC.  My fatboy fits better on my supplemental kit, it also happens to work better for my particular plate carrier set-up.  But in the most general terms, neither one is better than the other.

NoTMZyB.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medical, fatboy, tallboy, tear, off, away, quick, release

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users