PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:57 PM

Along with some of your guns, right? :tongue:

rofl

That tuxedo kit looks pretty nice! I probably should have bought that one instead! But now, I'll have to order a set from ITS to replace my lost mini bogotas. 

Naw, this was a legit mishap, and is the last place I know I had them. 

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#22 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

The sparrow tuxedo kit is what im looking at getting to start out with. Seems like a simple kit to get my feet with and be able to learn the basics with.

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#23 SIG383

SIG383

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMiddle East

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:58 AM

Just got my Sparrow Tuxedo kit!  Now the fun part of practicing and figure out what I'm doing.  Hope I can find some old locks to practice on...

#24 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

Just got my Sparrow Tuxedo kit!  Now the fun part of practicing and figure out what I'm doing.  Hope I can find some old locks to practice on...

The deadbolt on my front door is where I started; it is readily available (just make sure you ask yourself for permission) and if you mess it up somehow it should be simple enough to fix or replace. Additionally, it will show you just how easy it is to get into your house.

#25 SIG383

SIG383

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMiddle East

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

being deployed, can't exactly do that at the moment...I got a master padlock that I've been practicing on for a bit tonight before I rack out.

#26 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

Amazon, they ship everywhere.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#27 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:52 PM

Personally, I'd order a couple american 5100 locks. Get em, yank the core out, remove the plug (hint: a 5.56 piece of brass makes an AWESOME plug follower to keep the springs in there) by buying two, you will have enough normal pins to rekey and okay with, as well as some high security pins to play with! They keys probably won't work after you play with the pins, but they can be made to still work if you pay attention!
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#28 SIG383

SIG383

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMiddle East

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:35 AM

I just aquired a 5200...lol...might have to see about getting another if possible.  Haven't been able to pick that yet but that master lock I'm able to pick single pin now as well as raking it.  Definitely a proud moment the first time that lock opens without a key!  My goal is to be able to pick one of the Best door locks we have here.  Everything I've seen says they are rather difficult to pick so sounds like a good challenge to me!

#29 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

I would have to check but I think I've got one or two American locks (not sure what model but I haven't gotten the courage to try picking them).

#30 rgardner

rgardner

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:47 PM

As someone in the legal field you guys may seriously consider looking into the legality of possession if these types of tools. I know that in certain circumstances I've seen people charged with FELONY possession of burglary tools in the state of NC.

Just a heads up.
  • iExpresso likes this

#31 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

As someone in the legal field you guys may seriously consider looking into the legality of possession if these types of tools. I know that in certain circumstances I've seen people charged with FELONY possession of burglary tools in the state of NC.

Just a heads up.

Yep! Definitely check your local and state laws. Keep your tools out of view and dont be "that guy"! Dont... Unless youre a bad guy, then go to a police officer and tell them you want to go to jail, but not while they are on a meal break, thats not cool...
  • Davis and DieselD like this

#32 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 488 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:23 AM

Just a heads up.

I think (and this is just my opinion) possession of burglary tools would tend to become more of a problem when you commit another crime that would result in arrest. Still, I had those same concerns so I did some basic checking and possession of lock picks is legal in the states I regularly travel through but obviously common sense should be used.

A good place to start looking for info might be http://toool.us/laws.html

Edited by Scuba CN, 29 September 2014 - 08:24 AM.

• iExpresso likes this

#33 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

Texas, YES!

Texas Penal Code § 16.01 Unlawful Use of Criminal Instrument (a) A person commits an offense if:
(1) he possesses a criminal instrument with intent to use it in the commission of an offense; or
(2) with knowledge of its character and with intent to use or aid or permit another to use in the commission of an offense, he manufactures, adapts, sells, installs, or sets up a criminal instrument.
(B) For the purpose of this section, "criminal instrument" means anything, the possession, manufacture or sale of which is not otherwise an offense that is specially designed, made or adapted for use in the commission of an offense.

• iExpresso likes this

itstactical.png

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his." - George Patton

#34 rgardner

rgardner

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Unusual that the linked website states NC doesn't have any specific regulation on "burglary tools." I'll look up the exact General Statute when I go back to work Thursday so that anyone in NC will have the language of the law available to them.

#35 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

Texas, YES!

Texas Penal Code § 16.01 Unlawful Use of Criminal Instrument (a) A person commits an offense if:
(1) he possesses a criminal instrument with intent to use it in the commission of an offense; or
(2) with knowledge of its character and with intent to use or aid or permit another to use in the commission of an offense, he manufactures, adapts, sells, installs, or sets up a criminal instrument.
(b) For the purpose of this section, "criminal instrument" means anything, the possession, manufacture or sale of which is not otherwise an offense that is specially designed, made or adapted for use in the commission of an offense.

Thank you CrazyD, i hope you dont mind me quoting your post. Anyhow, Many States have very similar wording... Keyword is INTENT, The INTENT to commit an offense with said instrument. IF YOURE A GOOD GUY, NEVER PUT YOURSELF IN A SITUATION WHERE IT IS REASONABLE TO BELIEVE THE INTENT IS TO COMMIT AN OFFENSE WITH THE USE OF THE PICKS.

#36 iExpresso

iExpresso

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 307 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

Thank you CrazyD, i hope you dont mind me quoting your post. Anyhow, Many States have very similar wording... Keyword is INTENT, The INTENT to commit an offense with said instrument. IF YOURE A GOOD GUY, NEVER PUT YOURSELF IN A SITUATION WHERE IT IS REASONABLE TO BELIEVE THE INTENT IS TO COMMIT AN OFFENSE WITH THE USE OF THE PICKS.

Sorry for the use of CAPS. I was not yelling. lol, i do not have use of bold or italics while using the forum app for iOS.

#37 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:38 PM

No problem, only locks i plan on picking are ones i own, or ones someone i know owns and meed them opened.

itstactical.png

#38 rgardner

rgardner

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:18 AM

§ 14-55. Preparation to commit burglary or other housebreakings.

If any person shall be found armed with any dangerous or offensive weapon, with the intent to break or enter a dwelling, or other building whatsoever, and to commit any felony or larceny therein; OR shall be found having in his possession, without lawful excuse, any picklock, key, bit, or other implement of housebreaking; or shall be found in any such building, with intent to commit any felony or larceny therein, such person shall be punished as a Class I felon. (Code, s. 997; Rev., s. 3334; 1907, c. 822; C.S., s. 4236; 1969, c. 543, s. 4; 1979, c. 760, s. 5; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1316, s. 47; 1981, c. 63, s. 1, c. 179, s. 14; 1993, c. 539, s. 1152; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14©.)

This is the statue in NC that allows individuals to be charged with Posession of Burglary Tools

The issue here is that the first sentance has an "intent" clause... however the second sentence starting at "OR" only requires that an individual be found to be in posession of a "picklock, key, bit or other implement of housebreaking" without "lawful excuse."

The language in this piece that specifically discusses the lock picks does not have a requiste intent so far as I can tell...

Note also this is a Class I Felony which in the state of NC carries a minimum punishment 4-6 months probation and a convicted felon status...

• iExpresso likes this

#39 CrazyD

CrazyD

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 294 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

So basically, in NC, "looking guilty" gets you a felony even if your not guilty or doing anything wrong? That sucks.

itstactical.png

#40 rgardner

rgardner

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:14 PM

Well... the law is pretty vague as to the intent. It appears as if intent stops at the "OR" but I could be wrong. 

What I can tell you is that being charged and convicted are two VERY different standards... Probable Cause vs Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. Probable Cause is a standard I work with DAILY in my position and I can tell you it is a very very low standard in comparision. An Officer could very easily testify to the most minimal levels of intent just based on the circumstances, ex. it was night and he wasn't in an area near his own residence, a local resident called about a suspicious vehicle, etc... any one of those could be enough to at least hint at intent. Couple the circumstancethe  with posession of a set of picks and you could very well become a victim of the circumstances.

It really depends on the "skill" of the officer at testifying to a Magistrate, hinting at intent may or may not be enought for a Magistrate to find probable cause to charge you with the Felony. But you definately walk a fine line...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users