69 replies to this topic

#1 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

I just bought a new knife for my main EDC.  The Kershaw Leek.  Got a great deal from Amazon.com and love it so far.  I usually don't like drop points, but I heard some good thoughts on this and my bro is a big Kershaw fan.  So it was a gift from my sister (with her gift card).What do you guys carry, knife wise?Oh, and this thing opens fast![color= #ff0000;]**UPDATE**[/color]I also love how thin it is.  Great feel in the pocket.Posted Image

Edited by mikejulietpapa, 18 January 2010 - 12:03 AM.

#2 lpdswat

lpdswat

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

I've used a few but I keep coming back to my Emerson Commander-BTS…..good size, good heft.  And it doesn't put as big of a dent in the checking account as does a Strider purchase.
Posted Image

Edited by lpdswat, 06 February 2010 - 07:52 PM.

Posted Image

#3 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:59 AM

Lately I've been carrying my Spyderco Delica 4 ComboEdge.  Seems to hold up well for daily tasks and isn't really super expnesive.  When I'm at the lake or rivers I swap it out for a Spyderco Salt model. Posted Image

#4 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:05 AM

I'm seeing a ton of people into Spyderco.  I like them, but never have fallen in love yet.  I'm also not head over heels with my latest (the Kershaw) but I got such a good deal on it and it's so comfortable in pocket that it's great for my needs.  Also, it deploys ridiculously fast.

#5 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:48 AM

I've had several very expensive blades and they would eventually just end up sitting on my dresser or in the safe.  I've either traded or sold them all off.  No point in having a safe queen for me.  I sold one Strider and used it to buy 5 or 6 spyderco's that are scattered through all my gear and get used on a daily basis.  I do have some blades that are a little more expensive than most but I think they are required for some of the tasks I put forth and they are fixed blades.They are tools to me, I don't want to get all upset if I lose or break one of my tools.

#6 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:49 AM

Brockb said:They are tools to me, I don't want to get all upset if I lose or break one of my tools.

Well said.

#7 Norman White

Norman White

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:25 AM

My personal carry is a Gerber Paraframe.  It's light, quick, has a semi-serrated edge and has stood up to almost anything I've thrown at it so far.  It's not that expensive (~$20.00) and if anything happens to it, it's easy to replace.Posted Image
Posted ImageJust because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you…nAn unarmed person is a subject, an armed person is a citizen.nhttp://www.normanomicon.com

#8 nqthai

nqthai

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:18 AM

That has always been an internal debate with me:Buying cheaper knives that are decent but easy to replace or dishing out for the higher quality knife in hopes of never replacing it.Thoughts?

#9 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:55 AM

@NathanThai - Yeah, it's a tough decision sometimes, especially when you want (need) SO many things!In the end, I always tend to buy quality.  I'd rather spend money once than over and over. Some things you can go cheap on, but that takes research. Also, what I try to do is just look for deals or coupon codes and shop around.  So you can buy quality without payinig full price.Take the Gerber LMF ASEK II knife for example...Posted ImageMSRP is $220 I think but most sites have it for around $120.  Yeah, a decent deal.  But a little digging and I found it for $70.Botach TacticalSome will see this on Botach and say it's not a true ASEK but if you look closely, it comes with everything the Foliage Green ASEK does:Kit Includes: • Knife / Sheath • Molle vest attachable sheath • Two straps for belt or leg • Safety Knife and sheath* Here is the ASEK knife system on Botach for $115.  But you are paying only for the Foliage Green and infrared resistance.Look, my wife bought me one for my birthday, check out all it came with!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 TICK

TICK

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:47 AM

Some of my EDC knives are from a custom knife maker here in TN.  Check them out at http://www.grahamknives.com .  They are a great bunch of guys and built top notch knives!  I carry one of their tanto fixed blades almost 24/7 /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf_headbang.gif.

Edited by TICK, 08 February 2010 - 07:51 PM.

/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."

#11 Wheelhouse

Wheelhouse

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:09 PM

I carry a Benchmade Nitrous Stryker.  I really like this for EDC, and it's the first assisted opening knife i've purchased.  I now wouldn't want another pocket knife that isn't assisted opening.  Has G10 handle w/ titanium liner, and seems to be a good value for the price.  I've been a Benchmade fan for awhile.I recently purchased a RAT Cutlery HEST knife for camping, hiking, etc.  After finding out about this company and their products I really wanted to try one.  Couldn't be happier w/ the knife, like no other knife i've owned before.  Am already planning on getting their RC 5 next - just because their stuff is that impressive /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_smile.gif
Posted Image"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." - Thomas Jefferson

#12 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

Wheelhouse said:I recently purchased a RAT Cutlery HEST knife for camping, hiking, etc.  After finding out about this company and their products I really wanted to try one.  Couldn't be happier w/ the knife, like no other knife i've owned before.  Am already planning on getting their RC 5 next - just because their stuff is that impressive /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_smile.gif

I also really like the RAT line.  I have a RAT 3 that is my primary woods walking blade.  I'd like to pick up a couple of the other models in the future.

#13 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 719 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

Dudes!  I would love me a RAT RC3!This thing is awesome looking and I've heard great things from others including you guys.Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by mikejulietpapa, 12 February 2010 - 09:57 PM.

#14 Teton Traveler

Teton Traveler

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

Spyderco Delica 4 with the black blade. It is light weight, high quality, and the best part was that it was a gift.
Posted Image

#15 9chase26

9chase26

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

Posted Image
Off-duty I've been carrying the Ka Bar Warthog folder.  Great knife, solid construction and lists for less than $15.  Of course, when I'm in uniform I carry an Emerson Karambit…
Posted Image

Edited by mikejulietpapa, 12 February 2010 - 11:06 PM.

PlankOwnerSignature.png "Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire"

#16 kenpojitsu

kenpojitsu

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

Some nice Knives here!I carry a Gerber Paraframe (non-serrated) at work (EMT-1)Off duty I carry a Kershaw "Blur" Tanto blade/serrated. Mine "Deploys Ridiculous Fast" as wellI'd like to get a non serrated Drop point, wish they made a non serrated in the Tanto blade.I like Gerber & Kershaw they make decent knifes & don't break the bank & they hold up to My standards so far.For Fixed Blades I have a standard K-Bar & Gerber" Profile" along with some other odds & ends.I'm going to have to pick up a Karambit on of theses daysPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

Edited by kenpojitsu, 09 February 2010 - 01:10 AM.

/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.pngWhat is truth for one may not be truth for another. The real truth for both lies in the moment of actual combat. -Ed Parker

#17 sigsshooter

sigsshooter

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

Smith & Wesson Autos for me. I started with Autos years ago doing dive and Rope work, so manipulating a knife when you might drop it became an issue. Found these to be cheap $35-$45 and have handled all kinds of abuse. I have a ton of knives but these stay in the rotation all the time and are my Go-To knives.
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

"I will make you BLEEDOUT before you can Tapout"———- "Doc" 2010

#18 infidelNYC

infidelNYC

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:39 PM

I would recommend Emerson anytime....but you also have to look at what is legal carry for your everyday as well...BOKER makes a GREAT Karambit style ( but make sure you know how to use a KARAMBIT before you bight off more than you can chew!!! )  model CLB model # 01BO580 knife that has a 2.7" blade for around $40..most states legal....but like anything else..or most things...you get what you pay for...dollar for dollar...its a great blade shape, BUT no clip...poor decision on there part...tough to carry..benchmade ROCKS!!!!!!!! but they are not going to sell retail anymore....find something LEGAL, COMFORTABLE, and AFFORDABLE and look for G10 and a sturdy design with recommended Black blade..( no need for anyone seeing a bright blade too earlier than they should! )Stay safe!
Posted Image

#19 5Solas

5Solas

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:54 AM

N98 said:That has always been an internal debate with me:Buying cheaper knives that are decent but easy to replace or dishing out for the higher quality knife in hopes of never replacing it.Thoughts?

There's a few sayings that go along with this and as hard as they are to swallow (and follow), they tend tend to be true.  My favorite at the moment is: "Buy quality and cry only once".As to knives, I carry a Spyderco Byrd Flight combination edge for EDC and a Benchmade 9503BK mini Stryker for work.  I'm looking to replace the Byrd due to weight.Posted Image  http://ep.yimg.com/c...79_69378216Also, another eternal question: folder of fixed with sheath?  It would seem that with EDC a folder would be preferable but I can see the use of fixed as well.  Thoughts?
  • hattersdad likes this
Posted Image
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#20 Jarhead556

Jarhead556

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:16 AM

I have been carrying a Benchmade Stryker for years. It is my main go-to knife.  I received a CRKT M16-13Z for Christmas and it is a nice knife as well. I have now been back and forth between the two. My back ups include a Smith & Wesson  Swat and a Gerber Obsidian.There are some great looking knives being shown here. I really like the looks of the RAT's and have been thinking about purchasing one as my new fixed blade.
Posted Image"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!" GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users